User Tag List

Thread: Cobb AP Tuning questions

1. Default Cobb AP Tuning questions

Hi All,

I have just got a cobb ap for my MPS6 and am looking to start tweaking it.
    The car is stock atm although I have flashed the OTS stage 1 maps. Wow, the difference is immense.

I have a few questions for those out there who have been or are in the same scenario.

1) All the resources i have seen mention calibrating the MAF sensor first.
    I have already taken my logs for this but would life to know, are there any benefits to simply calibrating the sensor alone?
    i.e. are there any power or economy benefits?

2) Realistically, without performing any other updrades (intake, HPFP etc.), will I be able to get much out of the car by tuning it myself? and if so, is there an approach that is best suited to a stock car?

Cheers,
    Disco

1-probably no real benefits as such, your car is just more accurate with how much air is coming into the engine. So less playing around with how much fuel should be injected (+/- 10%)

2-I'd say ~10-20% improvement across the board
    But the biggest gain you'll get is being able to make it more responsive

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If you haven't got an aftermarket intake, the MAF should be pretty well calibrated from the factory, as far as I know. Calibration is only really needed with aftermarket intakes with slightly (or a lot) different MAF housing sizes.

And if you are planning on tuning yourself, read, read and read some more first

Abilor's tuning guide (on MSF) is a good start.

There is also a good thread by SnailD on adjusting your throttle tables that is fairly easy and makes the car a bit more fun to drive.

And enjoy your AP!

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

What differences have you noticed?

I have just done the same thing (cobb AP install with stage 1 maps).I have noticed that 2nd gear is significantly slower (maybe power/torque limit??) but that 3rd onwards seems to have increased significantly.
    Last edited by Fever; 25-06-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by damien smith View Post
    What differences have you noticed?

I have just done the same thing (cobb AP install with stage 1 maps).I have noticed that 2nd gear is significantly slower (maybe power/torque limit??) but that 3rd onwards seems to have increased significantly.

That sounds strange, when I installed my first stage 1 map all the boost/torque limiters were removed! Mine went like stink, I was using the corksport stage 1 sri/tip 95ron map at the time.

I'm not entirely sure as I don't have one but aren't the 6's not limited from the factory due to awd?
    Last edited by Mspec; 26-06-2014 at 07:05 AM.
    Corksport SRI// Corksport TIP// Race Pipe//​ Turbosmart BPV// Resonator Delete// JBR 80a RMM// Autotech HPFP// Cobb AP V3// HDI GT2 FMIC// ​NGK LTR7IX-11// Simota 360* Filter// Eonon GM5151-With Back Up Cam// ​RaydTuned

Yeah I think something isn't quite right with my tune/car.
    I am still learning what all the parameters mean but I'm starting to think I have a calibration issue.

I have also been struggling to get boost targets - when I first got the AP I was hitting 14.2 with ease now I'm stuck around 12.

So idk - I have my car booked in to get some minor work done, might talk to the guy then.

Take a log and post it up in the diagnose my log section, heaps of experienced helpful people here that should be able to provide some assistance. Youtube has some great vids on how to log

Yeah I might do that.

Do custom tunes usually calibrate everything?
    Last edited by Fever; 26-06-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Yeah I might do that.

Do custom tunes usually calibrate everything?
    Log held us diagnose issues, a custom tune will help with lots of things, not gearbox tho
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

10. Default

Haha yeah I guessed I wouldn't fix that. But maybe after my fat tax return ill put a new box and clutch in- OR maybe ill save 5 grand and accept slow shifts when the car is cold.

but first things first moarr boost, moar killer wasps and more talk

Yeah I think something isn't quite right with my tune/car.
    I am still learning what all the parameters mean but I'm starting to think I have a calibration issue.

I have also been struggling to get boost targets - when I first got the AP I was hitting 14.2 with ease now I'm stuck around 12.

So idk - I have my car booked in to get some minor work done, might talk to the guy then.
    im starting to think it isn't the tune that's wrong here, seems to me like air is leaking somewhere, hoses,bpv, wastgate. What gear were you seeing 14.2 as that is lower than stock I believe unless your first two gears are limited and that's when you saw the reading. Log would definitely help the peeps assess.
    Corksport SRI// Corksport TIP// Race Pipe//​ Turbosmart BPV// Resonator Delete// JBR 80a RMM// Autotech HPFP// Cobb AP V3// HDI GT2 FMIC// ​NGK LTR7IX-11// Simota 360* Filter// Eonon GM5151-With Back Up Cam// ​RaydTuned

12. Default

A log is the best way to see what is going on, it takes less time to take one and post it than to start a thread and keep wondering whats wrong...just sayin

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mspec View Post
    im starting to think it isn't the tune that's wrong here, seems to me like air is leaking somewhere, hoses,bpv, wastgate. What gear were you seeing 14.2 as that is lower than stock I believe unless your first two gears are limited and that's when you saw the reading. Log would definitely help the peeps assess.
    i don't recall - but i did a few logs tonight. Will post them up in the other thread.
    2005 6 MPS - Cobb AP - Auto tech HPFP internals - CorkSport RMM - 3inch ceramic coated downpipe - SRI - TIH - FMIC - Oil Catch Can - RayD tuned. 190kw@wheels, 410nm, 20psi.

@damien smith so how did you go with everything? Map updates, leak checks?

15. Default

@Mspec Couldn't find any leaks - but I'm not great at this sort of thing haha.

I might ask Rayd about it... getting him to put hpfp internals in next week.

after I get those I was thinking of trying a stratified OTS map -
    If the pressure is still low I will get more serious about looking at it (build/buy a pressure pump and test for leaks).
    The map says it aims for 15 peak and the highest I was getting was 13.6 (within the 1.5 that it states).
    Last edited by Fever; 29-06-2014 at 10:08 PM.
    2005 6 MPS - Cobb AP - Auto tech HPFP internals - CorkSport RMM - 3inch ceramic coated downpipe - SRI - TIH - FMIC - Oil Catch Can - RayD tuned. 190kw@wheels, 410nm, 20psi.

Ok cool, Rayd seems to be one of the gurus here so I'm sure you'll be well looked after good luck! @damien smith

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mspec View Post
    Ok cool, Rayd seems to be one of the gurus here so I'm sure you'll be well looked after good luck! @damien smith
    Thanks mate, appreciate all the help while im trying to learn all this stuff!