User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying a Mazda 6 MPS

Default Buying a Mazda 6 MPS

I have decided to buy a 6 MPS.

I have found one that I like and did an inspection today. I liked everything but the gearbox felt a bit crunchy.

The guy who was selling it hasn't driven it in a few months due to a knee injury.

Just wondering if anyone has noticed a similar thing with a gearbox? I compared it to the gearbox in a 3mps and it wasnt the same....felt lighter and with a slight grind/click/crunch. or could this just be from not driving it in months?

The car is in north Sydney - and I will get a mechanic to look it over before i buy it.

Does anyone have a mechanic they would recommend in north Sydney? MRT performance don't do out calls unfortunately but i may end up taking it to them (if the seller will let me).

Could be because of that...honestly the only way to tell is to do an oil change. I swapped my gear box oil for nulon smooth shift, has been a lot better. I also did a shifter grommet change which helped. Read my 'members ride' post for more details.

Anyway, if it is a 2007 model, with mostly highway kms on it, you should be ok.

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk

Its the 05 model 89,000kms - and I think most of the drive has been half city half motor way.
    Is there a reason to avoid the 05? or to get the 07 in particular?
    Last edited by Fever; 21-04-2014 at 12:47 PM.

I drive an 05 and at 75,000km, even with modest tweaks incl boost increase to 17.5psi to give it around 230Kw, there are absolutely no issues with gearbox or shift, which is really nice, clutch, or turbo. I just did a 200km rural drive to blow the city soot out and it runs like a watch and pulls like a train.

I reckon the key is finding an owner who has an idea of what synchro is for and doesn't ram the 1st to 2nd shift home way too fast like too many people do, buggering the heavy 1-2 triple synchro in the process. It's there for a reason, esp when some fool is trying to launch a 1600Kg car with ca. 200Kw, half the time with the steering on some lock too.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Yeah interesting you say that....1st and 2nd both felt weird. But 3rd 4th etc felt fine.

Mine was babied, but the box always felt tight. One summers night after sitting in HEAVY traffic went into third and it crunched hard, oil was completely gone (had owned for for a month or so at this point), swapped fluids for that nulon stuff, been happy days ever since.

That being said, it is very much not the smoothest box I have ever used, but it does feel solid at any rate. Engine / diff mounts will also effect the smoothness of the shift as well.

7. Default

Is that the black one?

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Yeah that's it, the private sale one. Got any info on it?? haha

Just drove a different black one from a dealer. I noticed the gearbox was different. But it didn't seem THAT different, maybe more like needs new fluid/or a service.

But the dealer one was ****ed....heaps wrong with it.

I spoke about the 07 because i have one and can talk about it. There are some small differences between the 05 and 07, but not too much.

As @Doug_MPS6 mentions, if the gearbox has been thrashed you will be buggered no matter what. The gearbox has triple synchros for 1st and 2nd, then double for the rest believe.

If the driver has gone hard from the line, and from 1st to 2nd, then i would stay away from the car. The MPS6 was meant to be a fast touring car, so lots of 4th to 3rd and vice versa shifting. If the driver pushes it too hard outside this then the gearbox can have issues.

Keep looking if you're in doubt mate, you don't want issues with the transmission on thus thing. Took me 2 years to find my perfect mps6.

Ask @bozjet what he thinks about my car mechanically

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk
    wsDK_II
    Radiant Ebony Mazda MPS 6 (September-2007)
    My Ride: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-services.html
    What is stock????

10. Default

Yeah true.
    Other than the gearbox, I really liked the car. How much do you think a new gearbox would set me back? I wouldn't mind do some work on it. So if I take the cost of a gearbox off I would happy to fix it.

At last someone else who understands what the MPS6 is all about - true GT - as in "four-door, high speed touring". As far a I'm concerned, the first two gears are just to get the car rolling or for manoeuvering. Third is a giant killer and will reel in almost anything that got away from you while you were looking after 1st and 2nd. 3rd to 6th will give you all the performance you want in a comfortable sedan with phenomenal all-weather AWD road holding and giant braking ability.

Folks who want to treat it as a some kind of alternative or competitor to Subis and Lancers just don't get the car at all, and will ruin it trying to be an urban street light racer and wonder why they just spent $3K replacing the clutch in 70,000km. Unfortunately, as the cars get cheaper, some of the people who can afford them will mistreat them, and it is thus hard to find a good one now, that some wood-duck with more enthusiasm than mechanical or driving skills hasn't played with, but they are still out there.

Good luck!!
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

12. Default

Yeah thanks.

I want to buy it mostly for long trips. So its basically the perfect car for what I want.

I had my box apart for service at 43k, synchros were rough from poor manufacturing, so dont panic.

14. Default

How much did that cost to get that fixed? @MPS2NV

Trans overhaul is around $1500 subject to parts required. + labour to r&r gearbox

16. Default

Ah I see.
    So likely $2500 or so.
    Not a deal breaker but something that I should include in the price.
    Cheers

Strange - poor manufacturing and Mazda are rarely related terms. If that was demonstrably the case, then surely a warranty or some other relief might have been forthcoming?
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 23-04-2014 at 11:57 AM.

Gearbox was apart for unrelated problems, shift problem was not one of them but gearbox place (who apparently does blacktown Mazdas work) said synchro were rubbish.

19. Default

MRT Performance.
    Anyone got anything to say about them? Looking to get them to check a car before I buy it. They said its $195 for a full look over.

Dont you have an equivalent to the RAA here in South Australia that can be called out and look over the car for you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast