User Tag List

Thread: turbo inlet pipe installation

Default turbo inlet pipe installation

hey anyone that could shed some light on my install of my TIP, bit of a newb so bear with me.
    my TIP is a sure motorsport branded and it is currently installed in my 6mps theres no cel but am just wondering the rubber seal that was used for the OEM TIP on the turbo side... does that get transfered over to the SURE TIP or not?
    reason im asking is that it fitted quite easily onto the SURE TIP but it seemed to be a bit of a tight fit when mounting onto the turbo.. all the videos i find mention nothing about the transfer of this seal
    if any one can shed some light for me id be very greatful

Hey mate any pics of the part in question? I don't follow.

I'm confused about what you're asking.

However, I had a SURE TIP installed on my MPS and there is no need for an extra seal on the TIP. The silicon fits straight onto the turbo intake.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

The silicone pipe connector is, or may be, if I am not mistaken, of two diameters. A new TIP should have a connector that is the right diameter for the turbo inlet on one end and the appropriate diameter for the TIP on the other. I can't say what size it should be, as different TIPs are different diameter. Mine for example is a Corksport 3" which is oversized when compred with OEM. Measure both TIP and turbo inlet and compare with the connector you currently have, and if it is not right, then then go find a connector that fits properly or you may have leaks which is not good.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.JPG 
Views:	258 
Size:	421.5 KB 
ID:	16144apologies if the photo isnt the greatest of quality the photo is also upside down.. the part in question is the black rubber seal on the turbo it has been connected for a week or so, im suffering no loss of boost or CEL's, so now that is on there and theres no problems should i just leave as is?

Hi KIWI, I can't quite figure out what is going on here. I assume the black rubber "seal" you refer to is the grooved one with the hoseclip around it. The hoseclip should sit in the groove so it won't slip off. What intrigues me is that the large diameter blue silicone connector appearsto have no means of retention to the black "seal", such that, if they are two separate parts, a potential leak may occur between the two components. The "seal" looks like the OEM connector and it seems that you have slipped the silicone comnnector either into or over the OEM black connector. It is hard to tell easily from the photo.

Rule 1 is never to rely on a connection that is "rubber - rubber" - it needs a solid substrate to pull up against.

The blue silicone Sure-TIP may have been designed to slip clean over the metal turbo inlet pipe and thus require only one hoseclip. I can't see two hoseclips in your photo, so I'm assuming that somehow you've rigged this so that the Blue TIP is inside the black connector but the whole assy is retained by one hoseclip, and it looks dodgy, but I could be wrong.

If instructions did not suggest retention of the black connector, I'd remove it and see if the blue TIP will fit neatly over the metal turbo inlet pipe directly and secureit in place with one clip.

I'm basing some of my suggestion on the photo of a Sure-TIP as shown on

SURE Motorsports Sidewinder:Mazda and Mazdaspeed 3 & 6 Turbo Inlet in SURE Blue | eBay

which from the position of the vac sub-hose connector seems to be the right one.

You may not get CEL's with a sucking leak either.

Hope this help. Cheers.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Did you leave the stock rubber on the turbo as shown here:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1398133919145.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	41.1 KB 
ID:	16146
    If so, you'll need to remove it and attach the TIP straight onto the turbo itself
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

From what I can tell/think you're trying to say. Your silicon hose is fitted to the turbo with no form of retention or fastening. It should have a hose clamp to hold it onto the turbo.

The photo below shows my complete SURE intake setup, and you can note on the TIP that there is a hose clamp for the connection between TIP and turbo.

thanks for input fellas.. will take the piece off when i install the sri tomrrow..

Pretty much confirms what I figured. Good luck with reorganizing it all. Shouldn't take long. Check your hose-clips after you've driven it for a few days, you'll probably find the will need gently nipping up a bit.