User Tag List

Thread: Misfiring??

Default Misfiring??

Hi Guys,

Long story short but recently i've had this issue on the highway where i've gone to drop down to 4th gear to accelerate at around 3.5-4k rpm and when i WOT i'm hearing these "popping" sounds coming outta the exhaust, then the revs will keep climbing and then "pop-pop-pop" a few times as it revs? Sounds like a misfiring or something?? Seem to only happen under full boost, driving normally shifting at around 3,3.5k rpm seems ok..

Wonder if anyone has encountered this and whether they know what it might be...

I've got a tune by Rich at richtune and the last revision was to solve the boost creep issue that i was experiencing at the track... It ran fine for a while and only recently started to experience this...

I've also sent one datalog to Rich but on paper it seem ok...?

The car has got the step 2 colder plugs but they were put in about 20-30,000km ago.. Correctly gapped at that stage... Surely they won't need replacing just yet??

Maybe it's the gapping? Or the coilpacks? (Thought if it's busted surely i won't be driving lol) - I know i'm going to check my spark plugs once i get some time this weekend but just want to see what everyone thinks before i go pulling stuff lol..

Anyways, any suggestion appreciated...

For those interested, i've uploaded the same datalog i sent to Rich.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08
    Delivery/ Install: HKS EVC6/ JBR: Oil Catch Can

Not that uncommon ,as to having to replace colder plugs at short intervals. Why 2 step colder ???? one step should be fine with your mods.
    Coil packs can also break down once hot !! or after some drive time > Pull plugs visual check > look for burn signs > length of electrode> re gap if neccesary (what gap are you running)
    Coil packs > make sure you have tight/full connection to plugs> use a small amount of electro grease at spark plug connection.
    Happy motoring.

As Paul said, one step colder should be fine...

So think it's either plugs or coilpack...?? It's just weird they were replaced only 20,000-30km ago.. Will def have to check. In terms of the plugs, I think I got either 1 step or 2 been awhile... Was when everyone got theirs in the group buy.. Was originally gonna go big turbo but not anymore. I believe the gap was about 7mm when I had it in... Can that change over time?? What about the spring on coilpack would need adjustment I assume...

How dangerous is this can I still drive this weekend...? :S

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Not that uncommon ,as to having to replace colder plugs at short intervals. Why 2 step colder ???? one step should be fine with your mods.
    Coil packs can also break down once hot !! or after some drive time > Pull plugs visual check > look for burn signs > length of electrode> re gap if neccesary (what gap are you running)
    Coil packs > make sure you have tight/full connection to plugs> use a small amount of electro grease at spark plug connection.
    Happy motoring.
    Current:
    CP-e: Xcel Nano Intake/ Nviscid TIP/ TMIC/ HPFP/ Stage 2 REM/xFlex Driv/ Pass EM 75/ UR 3" Turbo- Back Exhaust/ RichTune Custom/ HKS SSQV Typ 3/ DBA 4000 Rotors/ Remsa Pads/ Tein SS Coilovers/ Whiteline (F&R) Sway Bars/ AutoExe: Turbo Suction Kit/ Strut Tower Bar/ Floor Cross Bar/ Lower Arm Bar (F&R)/ Sports Steering Wheel/TWM: A6 Leopard Gearknob/ Solid Base Bushings/ Work: 11R-FT 18X8.5/ RS Lock Nuts/ CP-e Tow Plate/ Yokohama AD08

Sounds like same as my issue which ended up being a ground issue on the drives side enginemount/earth point. Went through spark plugs/coil packs wasn't anything like that.
    Check the resistance of all your earth leads. I reckon it's that. Especially driver side mount earth.

Ground issue..? Hmm... Interesting... Got any photos?? Check all the earth point.. How come that would cause an issue?? (do you mean the earth on the battery??)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob777 View Post
    Sounds like same as my issue which ended up being a ground issue on the drives side enginemount/earth point. Went through spark plugs/coil packs wasn't anything like that.
    Check the resistance of all your earth leads. I reckon it's that. Especially driver side mount earth.
    Last edited by 3MPSPWR; 12-04-2014 at 06:51 PM.
    Current:

I wasn't getting the popping but I stock exhaust minus test pipe but the whole stuttering when on boost is similar.
    Not sure why an issue would arise all I know is running 4 new earth pints fixed the issue.

You can see the new earths. The black cable with red tips. Probably should test the resistance of stock cable first though.

Hmmm.. Intersting... Well mine doesn't like stutter under load it's more like under load something is causing it to "feather" the revs (like it'll go like 4100-4300-4000 etc) -causing popping in the exhaust and then it like carries through and keeps reving... until it hit like 5k and it happens abit again and keeps going... But hmmm... Anyway gonna see if sparks are ok

Sounds like the issue is safe to drive this weekend (just dont give it a boot full ) untill you source the issue.
    Yes gap can change > burnt or damaged electrode. > check your manual as it lists the correct gaping.
    Probably no need to perform adjustment to coil lead spring (as per MSF details) > you will feel it click into spark plug and the connection will be firm (not loose) .
    Happy hunting.

This will be a 3rd time I have heard of a similar issue, after having a hpfp or any work surrounding that area check that the tiny earth wire has not become loose, it's located on the top bracket/shield above the hpfp. I believe it's an earth for the coil packs. Worth a look.

Yes, gonna definitely see if sparkplugs is def the issue first before anything... I'm assuming if the coilpacks are gone it would actually call up a CEL and misfire poorly and fk the timing up but i'm not getting any of that so i'm hoping (fingers crossed) its something really small like spark plugs...

I can't really think of anything in terms of the earth wiring as i barely touched the car (just been driving) and the tune has been there for ages so... hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    Sounds like the issue is safe to drive this weekend (just dont give it a boot full ) untill you source the issue.
    Yes gap can change > burnt or damaged electrode. > check your manual as it lists the correct gaping.
    Probably no need to perform adjustment to coil lead spring (as per MSF details) > you will feel it click into spark plug and the connection will be firm (not loose) .
    Happy hunting.
    Current:

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 3MPSPWR View Post
    Yes, gonna definitely see if sparkplugs is def the issue first before anything... I'm assuming if the coilpacks are gone it would actually call up a CEL and misfire poorly and fk the timing up but i'm not getting any of that so i'm hoping (fingers crossed) its something really small like spark plugs...

I can't really think of anything in terms of the earth wiring as i barely touched the car (just been driving) and the tune has been there for ages so... hmmm
    There was another thread almost identical to this posted a week or 2 ago.

As per that thread.... I am going to go with shit ground as well.

Mine started cracking spark plug number 1 out of no where, went through 3 plugs In #1 cyl.

Added 4g ground straps do the drivers side of the motor... Issue solved.
    Those factory earth's are terrible!

If you check your plugs and the porcelain is cracked... Then you need to beef up the ground on the block.

There is also the good old hose clamp rubbing through from tip installs. Poor earths won't always throw a code, so don't be fooled.

in the 2nd pic on page 1 you can see the 8mm bolt head between tmic and hpfp, that's he sneaky bugger. Also check the black connector for connection.
    Last edited by MPS2NV; 13-04-2014 at 09:43 PM.

So... had the spark plugs taken out today, coil packs still fine. But all the sparkplugs were black at the tips...?? I'm surprised theyre so fked already after like 20-30,000km... Anyways, replaced them today and gave it a bootful tonight on the way home from work. Seem to have gone but will definitely keep observation on it.. Will keep posted..