User Tag List

Thread: Should i replace strut tops

1. Default Should i replace strut tops

Hi Guys, 4 weeks after buying my first MPS3 i have finally had the time to pull the front suspension apart due to a stupidly loud knocking noise which is coming from both sides of the car but is way louder on the LHS, even when driving in a straight line and you quickly turn the steering wheel left to right or vice versa you get a clunk and any small bump or undulation in the road surface creates a sound as if someone is having a bongo party down there, now upon taking the strut out on the LHS it was covered in oil and crap and the RHS was not much better, so off i went and bought new struts and got home and took the old ones apart and the bump stops were pretty much disintegrated on both sides and the bush housing with the bearing inside pretty much fell apart on both sides also, so i have ordered them through mazda and they arrive tomoz the only part i haven't ordered is what mazda call the Strut seat which is the part that is at the very top of the assembly which you bolt into, so my question been even know they look ok would i be stupid to but the same one back in?, through mazda they are $60 per side.

Cheers in advance for your help, much appreciated
    Westy.

Pretty sure I replaced that when I did my Coilovers but most important is the ball bearings thingy

3. Default

Yeah i ended up buying everything, the bump stops, the whole bearing unit and the rubber strut top, to do both sides of the car was $260 and it was all genuine parts from Mazda which i thought was a descent price. I still have a little bit of a knock but i think it is from the swaybar bushes that are worn, here is a pic of the bearing housing and what was left of the bump stop on the LHS and the RHS was not any better
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bearing housing.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	16103