User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BNR S3 - What is your combo?

Default BNR S3 - What is your combo?

Just putting this out there to see what you are running with your BNR S3. Please also feel free to let us know what power levels you are achieving..........

My setup is as follows:
    • BNR S3......duh!
    • HTP 3" Intake system
    • 2XS Twin dump with 100 cel cat
    • CP-E TMIC
    • Grimmspeed 3-port
    • Bosch 3 Bar Map sensor
    • NGK LTR71x-11, one step colder plugs
    • And then the obligatory Autotech HPFP internals
    • Turbosmart Kompact BOV

Now the things that I am a bit worried about my setup is the stock "CBE", just removed the resonator, and the intake. I am not planning on boosting more than 21-22psi, at this stage, so I will not need a 3bar map sensor.

I have just started a Tune with Alex from Stratified and will update my power stats as we go along.
    Last edited by Grumpy; 18-04-2014 at 10:42 AM.
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

CBE wont limit you until around 450hp mate, will be fine

I will get a 3 bar map sensor anyway though, as if the car has a boost spike moment, it will struggle to adjust it since it wont be able to read beyond 22.5psi.

But more of an issue is that MAF housing - you will quickly max it out especially when its cold. need at least 3" MAF housing

Well that is good to know about the CBE. I am still tilting on the 3bar map and the 3" intake.............

I suppose I should do things the proven way.......

as @Rayd said Stock MAF runs into issues ~300 g/s of airflow (which, ironically, is possible on a k04 in winter!) and is definitely something you'll hit with a S3
    i'd say on stock MAP and MAF you're looking at about 240-250kw atw, and for what you'll gain, a CBE isn't worth it at your power levels
    otherwise, your set up is what i would do if i was to do it again

there's a couple of guys heading to the massive mazdaspeed meet in the states this weekend with BNR's... know 2 of them have a bet going for highest hp numbers
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...d.php?t=168137

Seems stock sized maf can get you close to 400whp...

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    BNRs3 Results - Mazdaspeed Forums

Seems stock sized maf can get you close to 400whp...
    He must of tuned it on a warm day - as soon as it gets below ~15C that MAF is maxing ! :P

Actually... I think it's a bigger MAF... Don't know if stock can flow 340 g/s...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think I will get the 3" HTP MAF wit the battery tray.........just to be sure

I have decided to flex the 'ol credit card a bit and just bought the HTP 3" intake and the 3 Bar MAP sensor with the Bitwise pigtail..............

I have been advised by Alex as well to get the parts as it will just be better in the long run.

I've posted plenty of info on here before about my mods, there all listed in my signature.

I run 22psi on the street which gives me 250kw and 500nm
    I've run a RT Map which is 21-26psi and that got me to around 300kw
    For my track days I run 20 psi and a little lower timing but im still making around 240kw using E85
    Exhaust manifold and CBE have been installed and gains if any will be posted soonish.

Have fun with your build, most of us have said this is my last mod etc but we all know that's not usually the case.
    I brought a lot of parts for my car when I first got it that I have now upgraded for bigger and better and if I had the foresight would have gotten them first up.
    Luckily selling second hand parts isn't usually too hard. Look forward to seeing your build.

Over engineering is better than under engineering. Its also better not to hit limits of anything keep safe side. Go 3' maf, 3 bar, exhaust mani (this will spool you like crazy on a bnr, look at @2XS i got 20kw gains with this alone on BT).

I've been driving around for about 3-4 weeks now. Running in new motor bits & pieces. Still in the process of fine tuning the tune which has been difficult due to new clutch having minimal throw & engaging waaaaay to early. My left leg is suffering keeping the clutch pedal floored each time i engage/ disengage....

Anyways,

BNR3
    SS TBE
    Fullrace Exhaust Mani
    3 Bar MAF
    ETS TMIC
    Grimmspeed 3 port EBCS
    Forged Pistions & Rods + new bigend bearings
    Fuel Pump Internals
    Re-machined OEM Flywheel (tocome) + Stage Spec Clutch & Pressure Plate
    4 pot Evo IX Front Calipers with Project Mu Pads
    2 Piece DIscs + Brackets to fit MPS3
    Running 17psi @ moment & have 250awkw

Stay Tuned!!

what the at this post. The last I read was that you were selling your car?

Anyways, seems like you have gone from 'staying stock' to completely bolted and more! haha, I like

Quote Originally Posted by lup15 View Post
    what the at this post. The last I read was that you were selling your car?

Anyways, seems like you have gone from 'staying stock' to completely bolted and more! haha, I like
    I will still sell it.........in a few years that is . I just had enough of tip toeing around modding so I decided to give it a proper go!
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

I have updated my OP with the new parts. Still waiting on delivery of the Bosch 3 Bar Map sensor (and Bitwise cable) and the HTP intake from Edge, it has shipped yesterday so I will hopefully have them next week. I have also bought a Turbosmart Kompact BOV from a fellow member and is currently waiting for delivery as well.

So I think that I have ticked all the correct boxes for now.

I have received my initial start-up map from Alex and will start with the MAF Cal after my first 60km or so.

I am running my car currently with about 16psi of boost with the WGDC at 15%, although it has jumped to 35% at one stage.............

I will update next week when I have installed the parts and started logging.
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Ok so a bit of an update on progress made..........

I installed all my parts and did a MAF Cal log for Alex and send it off. His reply to that was that he suspected a boost leak as I was running too rich in comparison with the desired AFR's. So I did a boost leak test and found the compressor housing to be leaking.........or so I thought. All the bolts were nice and tight and it was blowing a lot of air out of the back of the housing. Anyways, long story short I "repaired" the leak and put everything back together.

Did the boost leak test again and FML.......it was even worse. After some investigation I found that 4 of the 6 bolts that hold the compressor housing to the CHRA actually goes straight through into the inside of the compressor housing. These 4 were blasting out air like crazy. Got some thread sealant and removed them all put sealant on and put them back, voila.......no more leaks.

Two things that I have picked up with the BNRs3 is:

• The o-ring that "should seal the compressor housing to the CHRA is pretty much useless, it is made of Viton and is more like a little rubber band than anything else, once you stretch it to get it in the groove it is way too thin to do any sealing what so ever! I got told by MTQ that they throw out the o-ring and they use Loctite 510 to seal the faces.
    • The compressor housing retaining bolts to the CHRA "should" have a thread sealant on them to prevent air from pissing out of them, these threads were spotless, clean with no sealant.........are they all put together like that??????

With a base map, and the whole family in the car, I did the new MAF Cal logs and a couple of WOT logs. All I can say is that this thing is going to haul ass once this tune is done.

Attachment 16199
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BNRs3 base map.jpg 
Views:	289 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	16200  
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Glad to hear it's going OK so far

Thanks Sam

I had the same problem with my BNR S3 the bolts have come loose 3 times in the past 2 years even with cleaning the threads and applying locktite.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Alex is tuning my car ATM, very happy so far.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Stuartmp; 12-05-2014 at 12:57 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast