User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BNR S3 - What is your combo?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    @Wardski why your fuel so bad?
    Although, he does use BP in his GTR
    I wouldn't run Caltex in WA. Would prefer BP as they have a refinery over that way. Fresh is best!

Yes, I run BP in the GTR. While they use Caltex 98 and blended with their cleaners/additives its a sweet fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Wardski View Post
    I wouldn't run Caltex in WA. Would prefer BP as they have a refinery over that way. Fresh is best!

Yes, I run BP in the GTR. While they use Caltex 98 and blended with their cleaners/additives its a sweet fuel
    @Grumpy is in Bris
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Coast to coast BP is the good stuff

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Well test results are in..........the fuel is crap!!! Put some E85 in and no more knock.......anywhere. I am a bit surprised really as on the stock setup we made good power, very close to where we ended up with the new setup, but the fuel allowed us about 6-7* more timing.

So I am thinking that something must have changed in our fuel, especially where I fill up. We have tried the P100(United) and 98(Caltex) and seem to be getting the same results.

We will be starting a E30 tune now and hopefully the BNRS3 will come into its own with better fuel.............

Stay tuned.........
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Woohoo for it being fuel
    Looking forward to results!

Awesome. Goodluck mate. Finally you'll be able to pass me... Took a new turbo though

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Awesome. Goodluck mate. Finally you'll be able to pass me... Took a new turbo though
    *cough*cough* Bullshit...........

More than just a turbo mate, I almost fitted the whole catalogue........
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Sweet. Awesome to have the funds. Need to hear her in action sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Sweet. Awesome to have the funds. Need to hear her in action sometime.
    Sure thing mate, I will give you a drive as well
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

10. Default

Just a question, was the tune done in Summer, and now you are having issues with winter spec fuels? There can be substantial differences between the fuel makers as we all use different methods to obtain the results (eg. adding butane in winter boosts octane rating to maintain RVP, but can also cause slight changes ignition timing)

11. Default

Glad things are moving along, although that is an eye opener with the fuel being so shit in Brissy, there's a few BNRs in NSW doing 230-245 on 98 fuel. As i mentioned before when i went to Brissy earlier in the year i noticed some weird knock of 2.5 even with Meth on mine using the P100 in Ipswich that i have never had again once refilling in NSW.

Just a question, was the tune done in Summer, and now you are having issues with winter spec fuels? There can be substantial differences between the fuel makers as we all use different methods to obtain the results (eg. adding butane in winter boosts octane rating to maintain RVP, but can also cause slight changes ignition timing)
    No, I had a tune done on a stock setup which made good power, in summer, and then went to the BNR setup and did not get much increase as the fuel is holding us back, currently still tuning.

Strangely, I have found inconsistencies from one tank to the next, makes it hard to run a serious tune.
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Glad things are moving along, although that is an eye opener with the fuel being so shit in Brissy, there's a few BNRs in NSW doing 230-245 on 98 fuel. As i mentioned before when i went to Brissy earlier in the year i noticed some weird knock of 2.5 even with Meth on mine using the P100 in Ipswich that i have never had again once refilling in NSW.
    Yeah I think we will get the 98 to a safe level, obviously less power, so that it can handle the inconsistencies and then just do a serious map for the Ethanol........
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

14. Default

I disagree the fuel in Bris is shit. More than likely the fuel in NSW and further south is imported with a different blend. Thing is when you're pushing the boundaries with tunes any slight changes in fuel mixture will cause you issues. Fuel mixture varies +/- in every state, which is why car manufacturers always have contingency with stock tunes. So I would say your BNR setup and tune on the edge is more to blame rather than the fuel... Just saying

Only time my 98 Ron tune had knocked is when I had no other choice but to put 7-11 95 in
    Car hated that big time... Knocked on 15psi and low 11 AFR's, that was awful stuff.

Else, 3 different states, BP 98 RON, all fine

E20 tune has been rock solid tho.
    Last edited by SarcasticOne; 01-06-2014 at 04:48 PM.

16. Default

I disagree the fuel in Bris is shit. More than likely the fuel in NSW and further south is imported with a different blend. Thing is when you're pushing the boundaries with tunes any slight changes in fuel mixture will cause you issues. Fuel mixture varies +/- in every state, which is why car manufacturers always have contingency with stock tunes. So I would say your BNR setup and tune on the edge is more to blame rather than the fuel... Just saying
    I don't have a BNR but similar turbo in a GTX form.. i was referring to what i and many others with after market turbos can run on Pump fuel and they are far from on the edge as far as timing and boost go for a daily driven car. the timing and boost that was used for Grumpys car is close to a base map and it knocked.
    Last edited by shaneski; 01-06-2014 at 07:53 PM.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

17. Default

I don't have a BNR but similar turbo in a GTX form.. i was referring to what i and many others with after market turbos can run on Pump fuel and they are far from on the edge as far as timing and boost go for a daily driven car. the timing and boost that was used for Grumpys car is close to a base map and it knocked.
    Not hard to make a motor knock TBH......

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Woohoo for it being fuel
    Looking forward to results!
    Aaaaaannnnnnddddd.............the knock is back or has never really left............... Just put in 15L of E85 and the rest P100........a E30 mix, and the knock is back...........FFS! I am getting the odd loose 0.3-0.4 and then the odd 2.2-2.7KR.....

So the conclusion here would be that I definitely have false KR, just have to find the biatches now!! Waiting on my E-tuner to reply, will see what he decides.
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Might be time to check your AC clutch bearing, these things gave me false knock for nearly two years

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Yeah mate, I will start with the most obvious and work my way through the possibilities.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast