User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cleaned SRI filter - oh noes..

1. Default cleaned SRI filter - oh noes..

hello everyone,

Couple days ago i cleaned my dry flow corksport air filter using K n N filter cleaning kit (without the re-oiling afterwards). I set it to dry for a good few hours in the sun and it was definitely touch dry by the time i reinstalled the pod filter back on.

It now appears there is hardly any induction noise, little actual induction of air, and throttle response has dropped dramatically. It's definitely not a 'mind' thing. I've had to depress the accelerator more than double what I used to to get an 'activation' of spooling activity. At first, though not convinced, I thought it was because the filter hadn't dried completely, so I tried again today and the same thing happens...little to no air induction noise coming from the SRI, hardly any feeling of air induction, and a dramatically reduced throttle response. It feels like the induction of air is restricted by the pod itself...

Has anyone else come across this problem? I have no idea what could have gone wrong in the cleaning process. Whilst the corksport instructions state a 'mild all purpose cleaner' should be used, I wouldn't have thought an actual filter cleaner would do any damage - plus I obviously didn't re-oil it being a dry flow filter. There doesn't appear to be any visible damage to the filter itself from the cleaning as well.

Any tips, diagnosis, guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    B

as a test - try remove the pod filter all together and do a quick run - if improved then its pod related

3. Default

and while youre at it give your MAF sensor a clean too

The porosity of the filter may have changed from the cleaning process and sitting in the sun for a few hours could be bad for it too. I can't imagine that a replacement filter from CS would be expensive?

The material used for dry flow filters may not be able to accept the strength of the K&N cleaner ,remembering that the K&N filter medium is stronger an with lifetime warranty.
    The cleaner may have affected to porosity of the dry element?????
    Just a thought!

6. Default

thanks for the input guys. driving it on day 3 seems to have improved a tad, but 1st gear definitely needs a push stomp on the accelerator to get any spooling going. 2nd gear similar, but activating spooling in 3rd seems to be what it used to. I've sent corksport an email - I'll see what they say. And yep I've given the MAF a clean about 1000km before this so i don't think that would improve it much.

Give the MAF another clean just in case it got some crap on it after filter clean.
    i personally would have used a Dryflow cleaner which can be purchased from Edge

If i remember correctly, the k&n cleanih kit state to wind dry the filter (not under the sun) so maybe its thr sun that kills the filter.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

These filters hold a lot of water. Uncles it was a very hot day, the filter probably didn't dry fully. I had one left for hours that seemed quite dry, I tried vacuuming up a few bugs that were still stuck in it, and ended up with a flooded vaccume. I'd definitely clean the MAF again in case it got water and what not sucked into it from the filter.

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk

They do sell replacement filters, but they aren't cheap especially once you add shipping: Mazda Dry Flow Air Filter by CORKSPORT

They also sell a particular cleaning product, which seems different to the standard product for oiled filters. Interestingly it does mention drying in the sun (although the sun is harsh in Australia): AEM Dry Flow Filter Cleaning Kit

Keep us updated with CorkSport's response

11. Default

Haven't got a reply from corksport yet..
    How do I tag them in posts??

Place an @ symbol then their name. Like this @mps3er

Sent from my HTC One X

13. Default

give them a call, fastest way to engage with them

14. Default

So I gave the maf another clean but same results. Waiting response from CS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Did you try driving without the filter? To confirm it is the filter?

Sent from my HTC One X

^^ yep try that

17. Default

I'm scared something will get sucked into the intake without the filter being there... There's dust and crap in and around the engine bay and obviously the outdoor elements...sounds risky...:S

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Give the area around the filter a quick wipe/clean, so there is minimal dust and dirt that could get sucked up. Provided you don't drive through a sandstorm or on gravel, a quick trip around the block or to the supermarket shouldn't hurt. Not saying you should drive to the outback without a filter.

Sent from my HTC One X
    Last edited by 1CMS1; 01-04-2014 at 07:26 AM.

Where are you located? Can you borrow a working filter from someone for 10 minutes? Or put your stock airbox back in for a test if you have it.

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk

please note this is dodgy,

get your panel filter and tape it to your intake pipe , some how , dont ask how haha

see how you go

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast