User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 6 MPS DP installation

Depends if you have money to burn on EPA fines.
    And yes, it does happen, and has happened to members here.

You can, but a huge fine will be handed to you if you get pulled over by the police and see no cat

Sent from my HTC One X

First time I hear that...my car looks stock. Just the 19"s and the fmic...

how much is the fine?

Quote Originally Posted by jnin View Post
    First time I hear that...my car looks stock. Just the 19"s and the fmic...

how much is the fine?
    Looking at well into 4 figures...
    You'll usually get a double hit with cat less, noise and emissions

Someone had a screamer pipe with a catless exhaust, was over $5k from memory...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

yea but this DP is say <100, get a cat welded after that , i have heard having a cat straight in to DP makes for more power loss??

Quote Originally Posted by skeetskeet View Post
    yea but this DP is say <100, get a cat welded after that , i have heard having a cat straight in to DP makes for more power loss??
    If you REALLY need that extra 2-3kw, then you can go catless...
    A single high flow 200-cell cat won't really cost you much power...
    Stock turbo is a restriction long before having a single 200 cell cat is...
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

yea but im just saying, we can have this DP in to cat into exhaust system ...

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Looking at well into 4 figures...
    You'll usually get a double hit with cat less, noise and emissions

Someone had a screamer pipe with a catless exhaust, was over $5k from memory...
    wow!!
    I thought that police was giving parking tickets only and eating donuts like in the movies... :-p

thats a lot if you get caught...never happened to me or anyone I know...
    if that's the case then I don't know if it worthy the whole hassle of installing a
    the catted ones will be more expensive plus the cost of installing it it will be a lot
    better getting a bigger turbo then!

No point getting a bigger turbo if you're going to run the stock DP. It doesn't flow enough to really warrent it.

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Fair enough. If you dont increase the exhaust flow there is no point of getting bigger turbo thats true.
    As for the catless downpipe my car doesnt draw too much attention...I dont know about the guy with the screamer. Maybe he had 20" wheels, with NEON lights underneath and aircraft grade spoilers thats why they stopped him and checked his car.

haha , they will get you if your car sounds too loud . period.
    i got done in my first car which was a pintara, too much smoke blowing out the exhaust.. some one in the public reported me
    !!! but i sold the car later so yea

But the rest of the exhaust system will remain stock...Will it be that loud?
    My 323 GTX (overseas) is catless with a straight pipe all the way to the last muffler and its not loud at all...

I wouldn't risk it... The extra cost for getting a cat welded in would be way better than the risk, cost and inconvenience of getting done for not running a cat. Or think like this 300-400 for the cat or a few grand for the fine... Which may or may not happen, but it will only take one half smart cop to notice the noise, then the smell and bam. Fine.

Thats the thing. Adding the cat, then the fitting will go a lot...First of all I need to find someone decent to fit the downpipe...Paying 600-800 dollars for fitting is way too much. How about these test pipes that they sell online? Are they any good?

There is this one as well....
    Best Mufflers Online

Quote Originally Posted by spooon View Post
    I wouldn't risk it... The extra cost for getting a cat welded in would be way better than the risk, cost and inconvenience of getting done for not running a cat. Or think like this 300-400 for the cat or a few grand for the fine... Which may or may not happen, but it will only take one half smart cop to notice the noise, then the smell and bam. Fine.

I also found this on EPA...Maximum fine is $400
    Part 4 of the Protection of the Environment Operations (Clean Air) Regulation 2010 | NSW EPA
    Last edited by jnin; 25-03-2014 at 09:33 AM.

you could probably get a used cat for cheap.. last car i had i was looking for porsche used cats because apparently they are much higher flowing .. but dont quote me this was a while back

The point is if the gains will worth the hassle and the money. 300 for downpipe, 200 for cat, 400 for installation etc goes close to a thousand

Quote Originally Posted by jnin View Post
    The point is if the gains will worth the hassle and the money. 300 for downpipe, 200 for cat, 400 for installation etc goes close to a thousand
    If staying stock turbo, get test pipe...

For now I will stay stock turbo...Will the test pipe give a noticeable difference?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast