User Tag List

Thread: Where to get a proper boost leak test performed?

Default Where to get a proper boost leak test performed?

Hi guys.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a shop that will do a proper boost leak test (not a smoke test, but pressurize from either the TIP or turbo cold side right through)? Going through a tune at the moment and logs are indicating a leak somewhere. I'm in the ACT (tried a few places around here, but no dice) but I'm more than happy to travel to Sydney if anyone knows of a reputable shop that could do it up there. I though maybe Tunehouse might - anyone know if they could?

Cheers!

not to be a smart ass.. did you call them?

Nah, was just going to see if anyone had actually had a proper leak test done professionally. Sans that, yep will call them.

TH did a smoke test on mine. Cost $100 but they claim they did it for free cause I spent so much that day anyway.

Thanks Rob777. Had a smoke test done prior, but as we suspect the leak is manifesting at high boost levels, predictably the smoke test didn't show up a leak.

Had a go on the weekend myself using a leak tester I brought online along with an air compressor a mate had, but after I accidentally nipped near the end of the coolant return hose (and caused that to leak lol) when playing around with the clamp to get the tester on the TIH, kind of lost the enthusiasm do it myself...

@GoonBong have you tried ultimate tunes in Phillip?

Hey chef. I did mate, but they only had a smoke tester unfortunately.

I'm thinking the stock BPV might be the culprit but it would be nice to know before laying out the cash for a new one.

Tune house does a boost + smoke test, did mine to 30psi

What's the actual symptom you're seeing?
    I have a forge v2 on my car if you want to try that... Where abouts in act are you?

Default Where to get a proper boost leak test performed?

Sweet. Most places that I've spoken to about smoke tests usually use fairly low pressure (~5psi). I'm in the deep south (Banks).

Symptoms are really high WGDC/not hitting boost targets, and AFRs dipping below targets. Might try and upload an AP log tonight.

Log uploaded. Targeting 19, tapering to 17psi by redline. Bit of knock but it was a bloody hot day. As you can see, WGDC is flat knacker @ 100% and not hitting boost targets. Looking at the OL/WOT fueling tables in the map, just for an for example, it's targeting .762 lambda @ 6000rpm which is around the high 10's for AFR I'm getting leading me to believe it could be the BPV leaking back into the intake, causing it to miss boost targets but keeping AFRs OK. But I could be totally wrong.

BTW that coolant return hose I broke, bloody $120
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GoonBong; 17-03-2014 at 09:07 PM.