User Tag List

Thread: Upgraded HPFP on Gen 2 now squeals on cold start up

1. Default Upgraded HPFP on Gen 2 now squeals on cold start up

Hi Guys,
    Just a quick one regarding my HPFP. I installed Autotech internals a while ago and have been noticing that im getting a high pitched squeal coming from the pump on cold startups for approx 2-5 seconds and then goes away. Once the vehicle is at operating temp, no noise at all.

I removed the pump from the vehicle on the weekend and investigate and found the cam follower had score marks on the outer surface which runs up and down section of the HPFP housing spring area. The vehicle has approx 60k on it.

My question is does anyone else have this noise and would this accelerated wear be from the lack of oil lubrication until the pressure pushes the oil into the cam follower?

Thanks

Michael

There is a MSF Thread somewhere covering this. From memory it was to do with a high pressure fuel spike on cold start for cars (mostly but not always) with STAGE2+ maps.

The reason being that the issue normally occured between 1750 - 1770PSI and the stock maps only require ~1700PSI maximum. In the numerous logs done there was nothing to suggest a dip / drop in pressure.

There are a few fuel trim adjustments that can be made to fix it but there was no evidence found to say it would be a long-term issue.

From experience it never caused any issues:
    Autotech HPFP #1 - Never squeak / squeal. Several thousand KM's later it failed.
    Autotech HPFP #2 - Squeaked every so often on cold start. Never had any issues.
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 03-03-2014 at 12:26 PM.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

Huh...

So this may be my cold start noise rofl.

Replaced aux belt (was due anyway) and just got a new Idler to replace. Again, couldn't hurt to replace it anyway... But this makes total sense and makes me feel bad that I overlooked something like this. Lol
    If it is the pump, it's been doing it for a fair few months..
    Rocker cover comes off in a weekend or 2, do an inspection on the pump while I'm at it.
    Never clicked that the change / progression in maps could have caused it
    HPFP pressures always seem bang on in wot logs... So not affecting performance.

If you get a mate to start the car get down close to the pump, you will be able to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    If you get a mate to start the car get down close to the pump, you will be able to tell.
    Too busy working on other people's mps' to give my own some love rofl. Shall get the mrs to start the car one morning and have a look

I've had this issue come up multiple times on customers cars when tuning - there are some areas in the OTS fuelling tables which cause the ECU to try and push way too much pressure through the pump and causes the autotech's to squeal - i have fixed 100% of these issues by modifying the map.

7. Default

Thanks DAN MPS 3, I thought that might be the case regarding the higher pressure, as the noise doesn't happen when I put it back to standard tune.

Rayd, Might have to get you to tune it up for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Rayd View Post
    I've had this issue come up multiple times on customers cars when tuning - there are some areas in the OTS fuelling tables which cause the ECU to try and push way too much pressure through the pump and causes the autotech's to squeal - i have fixed 100% of these issues by modifying the map.
    99% I need new revision

Lol eventually get you a cold WOT so we can progress again