User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuner Questions

1. Default Tuner Questions

Hi All,

I am looking at purchasing either a cobb AP or a Hypertech for my stock MPS6.

After reading through a few threads i thought i would ask some questions to those hwo have more experience with these tuners or that have one installed.

- Hypertech owners seem to talk about how the boost restriction removal makes a huge difference in the first 2 gears. Does anyone know if the AP off the shelf tunes also offfer this?

- What are the main advantages of each tuner over the other? is one better suited to particular applications

- I see lots of claims of fuel economy improvements. can anyone confirm what kind of improvements I can realistically expect with a stock MPS6

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers

I had a COBB so I can explain from that perspective

- COBB removes restrictions per gear in all it's maps. It also offers launch control and flat foot shifting (among many features)

- COBB tuning can be done by our local forum tuner RAYD or via the COBB OTS Selection. I am unsure of HYPERTECH tuning options.

- Fuel economy was vastly improved for me with a OTS tune and even more so when RAYD tuned my car. Some cars respond to OTS maps better then others however.

Any further questions have a quick read through this first:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/ecu-m...-port-faq.html

Or search "COBB vs HYPERTECH" and you will get plenty of threads.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

Hyper tech - > intake only, once you touch the exhaust it starts to go funny...
    Cobb AP -> has basic OTS maps for many different mod levels, but also allows custom tunes...
    My personal preference is for stratified

Depends how much you're going to mod...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't touch hypertech with a 10 foot pole. They are old tech.

AP is better in absolutely every possible way. Definitely worth the extra money.

5. Default

AP also allows you to log parameters and monitor parameters (such as boost, fuel trims, fuel pressure, etc.) on the fly.

If you're adventurous you can even modify a tune using the supplied Cobb AP software (Access Tuner Race -ATR)

Hypertech is a set and forget tune. I love my AP.

6. Default

Wow that was quick and some very useful responses.
    Appreciate the advice / feedback.

DAN, when you say you had vast improvements in economy, do you have any figures? (or indicative improvements for hwy/combined/city)

was wondering the same as Discodave nice info..

cobb v2 whats the price on it? is v3 alot better or wat

8. Default

i believe v3 allows for better data logging (faster), and monitors/displays 6 engine parameters at once (compared to 1 with v2).

It also looks nicer, much bigger screen compared to v2

@Reedy: Hypertech has its place and despite being old tech - I think it can be good for those who just would like to have an aftermarket intake and take the throttle restriction off. Saying things like "would not touch it with a 10 foot pole" is seriously not putting the HT in perspective. I have the AP v3 now and can say unless you want to do a lot more mods than the above, the hypertech is more than sufficient than splashing the extra cash for the AP. It would make more sense if you get the HT as a second hand unit as they are going cheap.

My 2 Cents

Yea to a point, but we have seen some retarded dyno results with HT tunes in the past. They might remove boost restrictions and sharpen throttle response, that makes the car seem faster but a lot of those ones have been shown to produce less power than before once they are put on a dyno.

It's enough doubt to make me distrust them entirely.

There is also versatuner, it's pc based and offers ots tunes aswell as shared tunes from others in a data base. Pretty powerful tuning software and data logging, downside is you need pc in the car if you want to view live data and log.

Are you in melbourne? I have a modified mps6, with a cobb ap, and can show you some stuff you can do. Also @Rayd is going to use it to tune the car properly soon. I'm getting around 9.3 with a stage 1 OTS map.

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk

The question should be, what are you trying to achieve and how far do you want to go. After that it's all relative right?

14. Default

Also didn't look to see what model MPS you have, the Hypertech tunes for Gen 2 mainly just remove boost restrictions and not much else cause of the nervous fuel pump some gen 2s have
    AP all the way you can log then post it and get free advice when the car feels like it is having an issue etc.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by wsDKII View Post
    Are you in melbourne? I have a modified mps6, with a cobb ap, and can show you some stuff you can do. Also @Rayd is going to use it to tune the car properly soon. I'm getting around 9.3 with a stage 1 OTS map.

Oh I am in Melbourne. I would definitely be keen to see it first hand. 9.3, that's excellent! I'm currently getting about 12ish in mostly city driving (98ron).

To answer all your questions, hard to say what I plan on doing, don't think I will be doing major mods but would like to keep the door open. At the moment short term plan is for intake and tune and possibly a catback just for sound.

Sent from my XT925 using Tapatalk

I think the AP is the best choice for either case, for the extra couple hundred you get full security that no matter what mods you add the car down the track, the car is fully tuneable to suit.

What @Rayd said. PM me and we will see what we can do. Would be good to have another meet in melb soon too!

From my experience, neither HT or AP makes my fuel consumption any better. Still doing about the same.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I've had both and I regretted getting the hypertech once I read into the AP more, then the V3 came out... transactions followed

Sent from my HTC One X

I had hypertech on the 6 for ages and it suited the purpose for 250 bucks.

No economy improvement to be had either way. It only gets worse.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast