User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tuner Questions

There is nothing wrong with HT so long as it's used as intended. On a stock car or just an intake it's fine.
    The only thing really wrong with it is that it seems to move all the power to the first 50% of the throttle.
    Around the city it's good, country driving with lots of overtaking like I do, it felt a bit strange that more throttle I gave, not much happened.

The AP has the advantage of custom tunes and accepting more mods.
    But stock with HT vs stock with AP I think it comes down to how you like your throttle eel and how you like your power to be made.
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

2. Default Need advice or help

Hi guys,

just picked up my first mazda mps 3 which I’m very happy with mind you.
    so mine came with the Cobb access port but I have no ideas at all as to how it works is anyone able to help run me through it. Regards.

Blog Entries

Hi and welcome - the Cobb AP is pretty straightforward. It works by communicating over your vehicles OBD2 port and is capable of flashing a new tune to your vehicle. The process is basically a firmware update similar to firmware updates you might apply to any piece of tech equipment - printers, laptops, and so on.

With regards tuning the vehicle with it - you can either use off the shelf (OTS) tunes which are generic tunes or you can have the vehicle custom tuned by a flash tuner. As you got the vehicle with the cobb AP, you may find you have a custom tune already.

There are minimum requirements for OTS tunes, and you can check these through the cobb website. I think the device itself will also display the requirements when you are performing a flash. It's important not to put a higher grade tune on than your vehicle can support, or you could do damage with the tune. A high pressure fuel pump upgrade is the main thing I am thinking of here. Stage 2 and higher tunes must have a HPFP pump for example.

Whether you flash it or not it can be used as a engine management instrumentation tool displaying metrics such as manifold pressure, fuel pressure, temperature and so on.

The support links at cobb should provide more details information, manuals and map (tune) downloads:
    https://www.cobbtuning.com/2007-mazda-mazda3-mps-wm-s/
    https://www.cobbtuning.com/2013-mazd...speed3-usdm-s/

It is possible to get tuning software for DIY tuning - cobb will make you jump through some (paid) training hoops to obtain this.
    "Blue Meanie" 2007 Aurora Blue MPS 3 - 18x8.5+44 SSR GTX01 - 235/40R18 Federal RS-RR - 3.5" ETS TMIC - CPE stg 2 mount - HKS/CPE BPV - 2XS inlet - 2XS short shift - 2XS turbo manifold - Hypertech tune - Leather/Aluminium handbrake - Momo shifty knob - 7" touchscreen - JDM Mazda Retractable dashtop screen assembly - PC based GPS and instrumentation - 36AH reserve battery and C-TEK isolator - TEIN Street Advanced coilovers 1" drop - Superpro bushings - 220Kw/410Nm.

"Lipstick" 2013 Velocity Red MPS 3 - 18x7.5+48 Enkei RPF1 -225/40R18 Federal RS-RR - CPE TMIC - COBB inlet - CPE stg 2 mount - COBB Stage 1 98 octane tune - COBB shifty knob - 2XS short shift.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12