User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TMIC Intercooler piping MS6

Default TMIC Intercooler piping MS6

Hi all,

I am wanting to change my TMIC intercooler piping (hot in and cold out), for a couple of reasons:

1. The stock stuff is pretty poor quality and balloons when under boost
    2. The risk of damaging the stock pipes when fitting/removing the TMIC for services, plug changes etc.

I know that Streetunit and Protege Garage do a set for both the 2006 and 2007 models, but at $150US delivered its just not work it.

Has anyone done this? Does anyone have the measurements? Is anyone else interested in doing this? I emailed MPS Garage 3 days ago and didnt hear back so I guess they're not interested.

Jim
    Faster than swallowtails Passat...and it has a letterbox

How can you tell it's ballooning under boost? Posts on the US forums have said stock is sufficient for the boost we're running, and going aftermarket is just mainly for bling.

I dont have any firm evidence. A mate of mine with 22yrs as a service manager suggested it. He was worried about wear and tear on the pipes with TMIC coming in and out and suggested upgrading wouldnt be a bad option.

My stock ones are in the garage (somewhere) if I get the chance over the weekend I'll grab some measurements & angles for you.

Got pics of what you want to replace? I might give it a go for you.....

Are they the same as the 3? If you want them, I can get them at a good price for you. Cheaper than retail anyway. Give me a PM.

My car has 2.25" Turbo outlet to intercooler @ 45 degrees
    and 2.75" for the intercooler to TB @ 90 degrees
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00047.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00048.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	91.1 KB 
ID:	799  
    Last edited by 2XS; 05-06-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks guys,

That "looks" the same....I'll get the measuring stick and camera out at some point and have a looksee.

6 is the same as 3 in this department... and well i was looking tonight... and would i be correct in saying that the pipe from the turbo to intercooler... which i guess is the hot side ?? is that the only one that is restrictive ?? in my car it has a large crease in it decreasing the over all diameter... the front one or "cold?" seems to be fine and wouldn't be any different to any replacement item.. apart from maybe materials used to make it ??

i will try take some photos now...

HOT SIDE:
    Nearly cut down to half the diameter by the crease ? hard to see but when looking in engine bay its clear as day...

COLD SIDE:
    Nothing wrong with it ?? unless it changes under load....

i wouldn't mind only getting onc side made up?? or purchased ?? just to see if it makes a difference... i can see where US forums can say the tubes can handle our boost...but being cut down to half the size cant be a good thing at all !!??!!
    Last edited by PaulG; 08-06-2009 at 07:26 PM.

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

Silicon would be the best option because its less likely to have a failure from boost related issues.

If they increase in size from boost, wouldn't it create more volume, therefore creating lag, not noticable enough though, but, anything to hinder performance.

Even if it reduces performance by 0.25Kw, Add together all the 0.25Kw you can gain, they you may eventually have a whole Kw, and so on. I think every little bit helps.

I hope to strangle every last Kw out of my motor.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 PM ----------

HOT SIDE:
    Nearly cut down to half the diameter by the crease ? hard to see but when looking in engine bay its clear as day...

i wouldn't mind only getting one side made up?? or purchased ?? just to see if it makes a difference... i can see where US forums can say the tubes can handle our boost...but being cut down to half the size cant be a good thing at all !!??!!

Try fudging the pipes around a little to see if it lines up a bit better.
    Achievements
    2009 Jamboree Street Compact Winner
    Aust. Quickest and Fastest MPS
    12.3 seconds @ 111Mph.
    Proven over the Qtr mile

Another Mazda 3 MPS - Almost fully bolted - Waiting for a turbo upgrade - The weekend hack.
    Toyota Yaris - Coilovers, rollcage, raceseats, harnesses, 18s - Also waiting for a turbo upgrade.
    2011 AWD Territory - White and Slightly lowered on 22s - The tow car.
    2011 RWD Territory - Black on black and slammed on 22s - The family transporter.

Just to clarify...hot = back of tmic. Cool = front of timc?

I too have a crease on the hot side...

Whats the go here - new pipes build to spec or silicooon from Turbosmart etc? I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to this stuff...I sould suggest a GB from STreetunit...but my guess is it will take months to arrive and we can source it all locally anyway!
    Last edited by EQ; 09-06-2009 at 07:29 AM.

i think silicon is the go... the stock ones cant handle the bend obviously and just fold... wonder if you have to buy a purpose made one or if some other silicon tube off shelf would work pre bent of course to a similar angle ?

2XS - what are your thoughts? I would go for both front and rear.

How do we make this happen?

I will query the local option 2moro with exact sizes etc. and post the relevant details 2moro night.

nice... would be keen on this if not to costly...

what is the bend on the Hot pipe... ?? 45 degrees ?? and also the diameter ?? was yours stock measurements 2XS

found these:
    eBay Australia Store ? N Power: Search results for.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 PM ----------

CHING CHING
    Changing worm-style clamps to T-bolt clamps on boost tubes - Mazda Forums

i love google.. !! hahaha what a great write up

BLACK 06 MPS3 - HKS SRi/K&N - SU REM - TWM STS & Bushings - Custom MP

Yes stock measurements.
    The hot pipe is 45 degrees and 2.25"
    and the cold pipe is 90 degrees and 2.75"

Cost for each is around $25 from memory, but I will confirm this tomorrow.

hmm that link i posted suggested...

2.5" for Hot
    3.0" for cold

?? would US be different... are your measurements spot on 2XS.. going to shop tomorrow to see if i can get a 45 to match... would going the 2.5 be a bad thing ? not that big of a difference ??

purchased hot side pipe today at lunch and some t-clamps... will install tonight and get back to use with photos and how it goes e.t.c.

oooo got that mod tingle again !! haha

2.5" will be too big, US sites posted the measurements as OD, not ID as required.

I actually have a 2.5" for my new turbo and it doesn't fit the STD turbo very well. You have to squash the F@#$ out of it.

oh snap don't say that.................. i cant find anywhere 2.25" pipe anyway.. in silicon...

isn't 2.5inch the norm for most of that stuff... flip...

will i have real dramas with the 2.5" ?? should i just take it back ?

2.25 45 deg from turbosmart via APC Springwood is $60, 2.75 90 deg $70

Non Turbosmart would be no more than $33

Available in 2.25" too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast