User Tag List

Thread: Programming Spare Key

1. Default Programming Spare Key

Hi all!

My flick key has been dropped once too many times and it's looking pretty sad, battered and doesn't flick anymore.

I've ordered a new blank blade and remote from a dealer in the US and it arrived yesterday. Remote wasn't necessary but i wanted a nice looking set of new keys.

I've called up an automotive locksmith this morning to check if he could cut the blank and he says he can, but then he was asking how was i going to program the key so i said I'd do it from instructions online. He sounded really dubious that it could be done and said it could "go really wrong". They can cut the key for $12 or do the whole cut and reprogram for $100.

Questions is, has anyone tried following the instructions from various forums about how to code a new Mazda key? For example from the link below :

How-To: Self Programming Keys and Remote

I'd like to save $90 if i could.

Thanks!

Default Programming Spare Key

As far as I know, (Mazda dealer told me) if you have the master key (the one that locks and unlocks glovebox) then easy to reprogram your own remote. You can't fuk anything up.

I do not have a key that can lock and unlock glovebox even though it can start car and lock doors. Hence why I can't reprogram a new remote but you should be able to no problems.

Yeh those instructions should work. I think there is a slight different method from 08 onwards one auto locksmith said that tried. Anyway heaps have tried and failed in my case. No way to reprogram remotes without master key.

Its easy to program the central locking but I failed 5 times in making the car recognise the new transponder (fumbled and dropped keys everywhere the first time)and I have the original. So I cut for $10 added remote to central locking and got mazda to reprogram 3 keys for $55. It is easy/very possible to loose all immobiliser programs and then its $120+ for a tow and the reprogram fee just remember.

Sorry just realised u talking about a key anyway and not a remote lol

6. Default

Thanks for the replies guys. In case anyone is interested, the instructions to code the transponder in the new key are spot on. Got it working first go. So saved a couple of bucks. Just remember, you'll need 2 existing working keys to code a 3rd new key.

However I discovered I bought the wrong remote fob. After more searching, the fob is for the 09 on Mazda6 and not compatible with the 06 MPS. I suspected as much... The new fob has a panic button and a trunk release button.

your work is done yea ? HIJACK -hey does any one know how change battery on mps 6 remote and what kind of battery it is?

Quote Originally Posted by skeetskeet View Post
    your work is done yea ? HIJACK -hey does any one know how change battery on mps 6 remote and what kind of battery it is?
    You look it up in the owners manual
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

knew that was coming

10. Default

This might be useful...

How to Replace a Battery of Key fob Keyless for Mazda 6 - YouTube

It's those round watch batteries i think.

nicee!

easy took 1 mins

thanks

my friend went to mazda to get his battery replaced for non mps mazda ! i think he paid over 50 for it hahah

12. Default

I got mine replaced by north west london locksmith and they also charged me the same.

13. Default

Replace the battery by any nearby locksmith or dealer and the problem has been resolved.

Blog Entries

Hi, I'm not going to moderate the last couple of posts, but key fob battery replacement is simple and doesn't require a locksmith.
    Programming additional keys will generally require two existing working keys and a procedure you can look up.

re: master keys etc and adding additional keys when only one is available - it's my understanding this would be best done by dealer as first option, locksmith second.