User Tag List

Thread: 2009 Mazda 3 MPS to Debut at Geneva - March 6, 2009

Blog Entries

Default 2009 Mazda 3 MPS to Debut at Geneva - March 6, 2009

2009 Mazda 3 MPS to Debut at Geneva - March 6, 2009

Geneva motor show: March 6, 2009. Mark the date because that's when Mazda's lighter, harder, faster 3 MPS hatch is due for debut.

As per the regular 3, the second-generation MPS is based on the current C1 front-drive platform, albeit tweaked, upgraded and stripped of weight. Power will be served up by an updated version of the current 190kW/380Nm, 2.3-litre turbocharged engine.

The MPS' dynamic skill set has also been polished in the off-season, with leaks from Hiroshima suggesting Mazda has concentrated on improving the boost-limiting and torque-trimming engine electronics to improve drivability when steering lock is applied and wide-open throttle demanded. Anyone who has driven the current car in the wet would agree this can only be a positive move...

These dynamic tweaks appear to have paid off, too, with the new car carving a sizeable chunk out of the current model's 8m 39sec Nürburgring time, according to sources in Japan.

Expect the MPS in Oz late in 2009.

Caption: Boosty - Mazda's 2260cc DI turbo unit won't produce any more power, but efficiency has been improved, as has "real-world performance" with more linear power and torque delivery.
    Source: Wheels, December 2008, p. 26.
    2014 Mk7 Golf R | DSG | Reflex Silver | Leather | Drive Assist | Bi-Xenon Headlights
    1981 Lincoln Town Car | Auto | 80s Cream | 90s brown interior | 5.0L V8 | Currently no working headlights

so no more power?

Nevermind Guest

I was hoping it would use the 2.5L engine the SP2.......5 will use.

And be over 200kw.

We'll wait and see I guess. Still can't wait. Doubt i'd update though at this stage.

THEY STAY WITH THE 2.3L AND THE NEW SP25 GETS A 2.5L?

Hmmm what the?

The 2.3 turbo combination came out after the N/A 2.3 (Mazda6 03 -08) was in place for a few years. The N/A 2.5 has only been out for a few months and you're expecting a turbo version already?

Quote Originally Posted by Nuliaj View Post
    The 2.3 turbo combination came out after the N/A 2.3 (Mazda6 03 -08) was in place for a few years. The N/A 2.5 has only been out for a few months and you're expecting a turbo version already?
    To put it bluntly - yes

There had better be some improvements to get me to swap over.

Some slight cosmetics, bonnet scoop, and weight reduction isn't enough for me to change over.

I was hoping for atleast AWD, or 2.5L, or 2.3L with more grunt and RevoKnuckle. If none of these make an appearance I'm buying an Sti
    Last edited by teamfletch1; 24-11-2008 at 01:29 PM.

i would imagine that they will have the 2.5l turbo. I couldnt see them having this as the flagship performance car and having a smaller capacity engine than the normal 3 (Even with more powah)

AWD is a dream but i doubt it will happen. Weight saving up front would be nice with the revo. That bonnet scoop can go in the bin, i like not having extra popo attention.