User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bilstein Shock Absorber Confusion

Default Bilstein Shock Absorber Confusion

OzMPS,

I've tried searching for this and I couldn't find any definitive information. I've always read that you use the B6 shocks for stock springs and the B8 shocks for any springs that are lower.

However, I called up a workshop for a quote for the Bilstein B6 and they told me to get the B8 even though I am using the stock springs. They said that because the MPS is lower than all the other Mazda 3s you should use the B8. Do Bilstein make an MPS specific shock, or are they the same across the entire Mazda 3 range?

I read elsewhere that you should use the B8 regardless as "it's a better shock", even with the stock springs. Any truth to this? I thought it was the same but designed for shorter springs.

I only just clear the driveways I frequently use so I'm happy with the stock height. If there's a setup that only drops the height by a touch then I'd be interested in that, however (Cobb springs?). I want better handling without sacrificing ride quality and without an impractical ride height. The car in question is a 2010 BL MPS 3.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated

yes get the B8 as its designed for lowered springs. MPS is factory lowered, albeit few mm. It shouldnt change the ride height as thats the job for the springs.

not sure if the standard mazdas have the same mounting points, theoretically should

These are from the bilstein catalogue, so looks like all use the same shocks.

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk

Thanks guys!

So they specify both the B6 and the B8 for the MPS. This leads me to lack confidence in the workshop that told me that the B8 is even for the stock springs..

I have b8s with lowered king springs...b6s are meant for the stock mps springs. Why are you doing just shocks anyway , you may as well go b8s and springs as well. handles shit loads better.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    I have b8s with lowered king springs...b6s are meant for the stock mps springs. Why are you doing just shocks anyway , you may as well go b8s and springs as well. handles shit loads better.
    I don't want to lose too much ride height and a lot of the springs seem to be biased towards lowered aesthetics. Can anyone recommend a spring set that will improve handling without much of a ride height drop?

Kings or Eibach, they will lower it a tad.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Kings or Eibach, they will lower it a tad.
    But are the spring rates tuned for the car? Will they actually improve handling performance?

Yes, the lowering rings aren't just for looks. They are firmer, so prevents a little of the body roll you get with stockies. And with the B8 shocks they are tuned or the lower height. If you mismatch, the handling will suck, plus you may end up damaging the shocks as they aren't working to how they were designed.

The Kings I believe is one of the lowest drops, Eibach, not so much.

But what is your goal here anyway, less body roll? Some track work?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Yes, the lowering rings aren't just for looks. They are firmer, so prevents a little of the body roll you get with stockies. And with the B8 shocks they are tuned or the lower height. If you mismatch, the handling will suck, plus you may end up damaging the shocks as they aren't working to how they were designed.

The Kings I believe is one of the lowest drops, Eibach, not so much.

But what is your goal here anyway, less body roll? Some track work?
    I enjoy taking my MPS for spirited drives through twisty roads, but I also drive it daily to work. Furthermore, I can't go much lower without seriously damaging my front bumper with the driveways I frequent. So I'm after a setup that will improve my handling without sacrificing much ride height and ride quality.

Would I be right in saying that the Cobb springs will lower the car the least and work well with what I'm after? I'm looking to match them with the Bilstein B8 and install a Whiteline rear swaybar. Alternatively, I've heard that the Bilstein B14 coilovers offer good ride quality, adjustable height (would set it to max height) and improved handling?

I have kings springs and B8 on my mps6. A bit disappointed with the harsh ride over low speed bumps. On the highway it's very smooth but as It's my daily driver iv being thinking of going back to stock springs with the B8s. ...

Bilstein Coilovers haven't received many good reviews ,heaps have complained about quality and shitting the bed.
    Even the Germans don't recomend them

Where these bad reviews? I've only heard good stuff albeit some people say firm but I'm also in same boat was gonna buy b6 cause standard springs and no plans to lower and read heaps about them, on mazdas it hard to find bad reviews at all I thought?

I agree, I have only ever heard good reviews of the Bilstein shocks. I would love to know more about the negative reviews.

I guess my question really is: what is the best shock absorber for stock springs? It seems the Koni FSD or Bilstein B6/B8 are the common votes. Does the Koni FSD still require the bump stops to be cut (under-engineering by Koni?)?

Never said negative reviews on shocks only there Coilovers

I contacted Bilstein directly and I thought I'd share their response for everyone:

"We usually sell the B8s, mainly because they run fine with standard height or lowered. B8s are just a bit shorter to ensure lowered, shorter coils are held in place when jacking the vehicle for example. The rates in the B6 and B8s are the same in this case. We have had many MPS customers using the B8s and standard coils."

^^^ thanks. Lol @chef only just saw your response... Touché!

todays a good day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg 
Views:	501 
Size:	909.1 KB 
ID:	16899

Just wondering what people did for dust covers? Can you just use your stock ones? Mine didn't come with any.
    Last edited by haveheart; 20-10-2014 at 08:48 PM.

Pretty sure my mechanic reused the stock dust boots. Works well so far.

20. Default

yep, I used stock dust boots

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast