User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opticoat vs. GTechniq C1

Quote Originally Posted by MissJody View Post
    Not recently about 18 months ago
    Assuming Bobby only get his car done in the last few months, the deeper color's quite normal. Machine buffing will always make the color deeper and start to fade as time goes.
    When in doubt, power out....of control.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecolt View Post
    Assuming Bobby only get his car done in the last few months, the deeper color's quite normal. Machine buffing will always make the color deeper and start to fade as time goes.
    About 12 months ago
    2XS RACING $ CORKSPORT $ MAGNAFLOW $ ​UNSURE MOTORSPORTS $ COBB $ INJEN $ FULCRUM $ FEDERAL TYRES $ VISUAL GARAGE $ ADVANCED PERFORMANCE CENTRE $ B C M $ NGK $ STRATIFIED $ AUTOTECH $ DBA $ REMSA $ DGR $ MORIMOTO $ JBR $ FUSION

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialSpool View Post
    About 12 months ago
    Then its 6 month worth of difference then haha
    When in doubt, power out....of control.

I'm actually curious to know now... @Caffeine Fiend ...would the opti-coat coating make a difference to the colour of the paint?

Quote Originally Posted by CelestialSpool View Post
    I'm actually curious to know now... @Caffeine Fiend ...would the opti-coat coating make a difference to the colour of the paint?

Opti-Coat does not add or subtract gloss, nor does it alter the colour or depth of paint. Which is why it can be used on matte surfaces also (wheels, raw carbon etc).

What changes the look is the paint correction as lovecolt says above. The idea is that the paint correction is performed to remove/minimise swirls and marring as well as increase clarity and gloss in the paint itself. The Opti-Coat is then simply used to "lock-in" that paint correction work. Once done it will then stay that way. As was mentioned above, Brad's car is a good example of this.

Then its 6 month worth of difference then haha
    Actually it's 12 months. The gloss and clarity will not fade under the Opti-Coat. Only if the Opti-Coat is removed will that happen. As I have mentioned before, Opti-Coat is not like a wax or sealant. It will not dissipate or degrade over months. There are well documented cases of people in the states who have their original Opti-Coat application still going strong after four years.

It's all about the paint correction though. The better that is done, the better the overall outcome. Adding a coating is the easy part. Anyone with a decent lighting setup can do it. It's what's underneath that counts and what takes the time and effort to achieve.

Here are some photos of a Subaru Forester I detailed earlier in the week. The clarity and gloss was achieved in the paint correction and it is fully expected that, provided it is properly maintained, there's no reason it won't look exactly the same 3+ years from now

Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 06-02-2014 at 03:40 PM.
    Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

TL;DR The guy is a lying asshole, go with the opticoat. Lol

Here's another great video of Opti-Coat at 2.5 years. They machine polished off a section to show you the difference.

Last edited by ZAS; 27-03-2014 at 08:02 PM.

With regard to Opticoat, how many layers are applied, is it just one layer or is it built up with a number of layers?
    Thanks

I normally only apply one layer. I believe there is minimal benefit to applying more than that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

+1 for opticoat. @Caffeine Fiend did my car over a year ago and opticoat plus a proper decontamination and correction was the best thing I could have done. Dan will be doing all my cars with opticoat from now on. I also purchased a few opti products from @ZAS including the gloss enhancer and it comes up like new every time with very little effort.

Go opticoat with a decontamination and correction underneath, you won't be sorry.
    Stock Standard MPS 6 | Opticoat Paint Protection By Caffeine Fiend | Custom GPS, Bluetooth and Digital music integration by Me | Rattles by Mazda

Didn't realize opticoat was so expensive, $1200 with paint correction in Canberra

That sounds about right to me. Put it this way, the BMW I had (2007 model) had stuffed paint on it ( no opticoat ) and that wiped about 5k off my resale value when I sold it in 2012 - so as far as I'm concerned now it's closer to an investment than an expense.

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Didn't realize opticoat was so expensive, $1200 with paint correction in Canberra
    This is with obsession? They have done my wheels and sisters golf. They were great.

The opticoat is only a fraction of that price, the rest is really labour for the washing, decontamination, correction, polishing, and then applying the coat.

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Yep @Lachlan , seems they do a great job

Prices vary between detailers. Obsession have somewhat of a captive market in the ACT

Having said that, add some options such as coating wheel faces and interior protection on top of the standard Opti-Coat package and mine and most decent detailers costs are up around that mark also.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

16. Default Opticoat vs. Modesta vs. Ceramic Pro

Would very much appreciate if anyone can provide their experience and recommendations for the above choices. I have a new Alfa Romeo Rosso 4C.
    thank you

17. Default

You get what you pay for and those guys at Canberra have pride in their work. I've met the owner and seen him detail. He really takes his time and his work is immaculate.

Quote Originally Posted by xccude View Post
    You get what you pay for and those guys at Canberra have pride in their work. I've met the owner and seen him detail. He really takes his time and his work is immaculate.
    Is this who you're referring to? Opti-Coat Paint Protection Dealers Canberra & ACT

They don't do things in halves and every car comes out that way, that's for sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12