User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: REV Meter problem!

1. Default REV Meter problem!

Hi all,

I was wondering if any person can help me.... i recently bought a 6MPS and the rev meter is pretty high when i start the engine, must be the timing chain problem. I heard from the previous owner that the timing chain needs to be reset for it to run normally because his aftermarket subwoofer is hooked onto the controls that's causing this problem. Attached is a photo of the REV meter going high when i start the engine.

Anyone can recommend me in Sydney where i can get this problem fixed for 6MPS in a reasonable price instead of getting it done at a mazda service repair centre ?

Basically, i need to take out the amp and sub too but need a professional to do it for me.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rev Meter problem.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	38.3 KB 
ID:	15728

If anyone can recommend me a place to get this fixed with a reasonable price.. i am happy to do it.
    Thanks

Sam
    Last edited by sam1337; 16-01-2014 at 11:30 PM.

His aftermarket sub is causing the tacho to display incorrectly?... That's a new one.
    Have you unplugged the sub and tried to start the car to see if the tacho sits as normal? If it doesn't, i'd hazard a guess that he told you a porkie.

Obviously the engine doesn't actually go to ~6k when you first start it up, does it?

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bodyboardingbum View Post
    His aftermarket sub is causing the tacho to display incorrectly?... That's a new one.
    Have you unplugged the sub and tried to start the car to see if the tacho sits as normal? If it doesn't, i'd hazard a guess that he told you a porkie.

Obviously the engine doesn't actually go to ~6k when you first start it up, does it?
    Maybe when they hook up the wires from the sub and amp from the back to front control,something must of loosened or something... i am not sure what is causing it to...
    and that is the thing, i don't know how to do those kind of stuff professionally.. i normally take it someone professional and do this job for me....

And nope, the engine doesnt go to 6k when it starts up.. its just the rev meter screwing up there and then.. but sometimes i turn off engine and turn back on.. it sometimes goes back to normal... so i don't know whats the story with that...

See if a Sydney member has a dashhawk or Bluetooth reader, check to see if it's just the tacho or if the engine is actually going to 3.5k on start up...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I've been reading this over and over trying to make any sence from this. So far, nothing, I'm just getting more and more confused.

If it is JUST the tacho showing high RPM and NOT the engine going to high RPM then I can't see any connection to the timing chain.

It sounds to me that the previous owner was talking out his arse to sell you the car.

As suggested, disconnect the Amp and Sub and see what happens.

Also, does this problem happen all the time?
    If its just when the car is cold, your issue could be with the automatic choke (to use old terminology)
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    I've been reading this over and over trying to make any sence from this. So far, nothing, I'm just getting more and more confused.

If it is JUST the tacho showing high RPM and NOT the engine going to high RPM then I can't see any connection to the timing chain.

It sounds to me that the previous owner was talking out his arse to sell you the car.

As suggested, disconnect the Amp and Sub and see what happens.

Also, does this problem happen all the time?
    If its just when the car is cold, your issue could be with the automatic choke (to use old terminology)
    The same this side mate, I wasn't even sure if this was trolling or not..........
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Mate TBH, take it to a Mazda workshop and have them check the car, it seems to me that there is more going on than what you have been told.........

Is it just on start up?
    Same on hot and cold starts?
    Does it idle fine?

Theory.
    While dash was apart doing the sub and amp he has bumped something or disconnected a earth wire somewhere.

But I would be taking it to Mazda ASAP, and get the timing chain seen to before your pistons and valves get very friendly with each other.

The timing chain I can see absolutely no connection with your tacho issue

10. Default

Yeh, its just the Tacho REV meter plays up... sometimes it initially starts at 3500, 2000, and somtimes 5000... but yeh it stays idle in the engine when the meter goes up, so i guess its just the tacho meter reading having an error... thanks for some good advice guys~

I think best bet is to go to West End Service? Since i live close to them and get it checked? Or any other recommendations i can go to if i reside in Sydney?

11. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SarcasticOne View Post
    Is it just on start up?
    Same on hot and cold starts?
    Does it idle fine?

That, i haven't really test it~ i'll put that into consideration and let you know SarcasticOne thanks

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
    The same this side mate, I wasn't even sure if this was trolling or not..........
    Sorry guys, maybe i didn't express it correctly and clearly... but i am definitely not trolling

Two other possibilities come to mind.

1. He ran the power wire to the sub/amp next to the wiring loom and in the process damaged the a sensor wire.
    2. Pulling current right next to the signal wire is messing with your signal.

I'm a little curious if you rev the engine is it always higher? Like the others wonder is the engine revving high or is your dash simply reading high.

Have you tried simply switching off the amp? Then it won't try to power the sub on start up.

I'm seriously doubting your judgement to buy the car considering the selling was spinning crap like that.

Quote Originally Posted by sam1337 View Post
    Yeh, its just the Tacho REV meter plays up... sometimes it initially starts at 3500, 2000, and somtimes 5000... but yeh it stays idle in the engine when the meter goes up, so i guess its just the tacho meter reading having an error... thanks for some good advice guys~

I think best bet is to go to West End Service? Since i live close to them and get it checked? Or any other recommendations i can go to if i reside in Sydney?
    OK, so engine stays the same rpm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post

1. He ran the power wire to the sub/amp next to the wiring loom and in the process damaged the a sensor wire.

I'm a little curious if you rev the engine is it always higher? Like the others wonder is the engine revving high or is your dash simply reading high.
    Quote Originally Posted by zacman View Post
    Have you tried simply switching off the amp? Then it won't try to power the sub on start up.

I'm seriously doubting your judgement to buy the car considering the selling was spinning crap like that.
    As has been said here, try removing the power to the amp...
    Newbie FAQ My Build Thread
    From stock, to GT3071, to substantially less modded, many lessons learned!
    3" HTP | 100 Cel DP | Autotech HPFP | AP V3 - Self Tuned on E20 | JBR RSB | CPE S2 REM | JBR Shifter Bushings

Damn :-(

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

17. Default

Yeh, it was a good deal and pretty clean the car...
    Im just gonna do a service at Mazda and see what they think? I went to Mazda Tom Kerr auto service, one of the mechanic said it might be the cluster that's causing the problem... .but ain't cheap to fix

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post

Yeh, it does sound uncomfortable because the engine rev sounds high when i step on it... but at the same time.. i turn off the engine and turn it on... after 3-4 timesof starting the car...it goes back to normal... sigh

19. Default

Any one care to recommend someone to fix this problem other than mazda?

I recommend doing the following to eliminate suspects
    1. Check to see where power was run for the subwoofer
    2. Try disconnecting the power at the battery side and see if that has any effect
    3. If you have an android phone but a cheap eBay obd2 Bluetooth dongle or burrow one off a member. Alternatively borrow a scantool or buy a usb obd2 scanner if you have a laptop.

If they ran power nowhere near your loom and don't seem to have stabbed at the loom in an attempt to do so then problem may lie elsewhere.

If the problem goes away when the amplifier is disconnected at the battery end then it may be an interference problem. Move power wire to fix.

If you check with an obd2 tool and it reports high rpm then you can probably rule out your dash cluster. It may be a defective sensor or damaged wires or damaged ecu.

I would recommend doing as much fault finding as you can to save money and time. Do all the stuff you can so you do don't pay someone else to. I can't recommend anyone in particular but an auto electrician is probably your best bet.

Good luck

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast