User Tag List

Thread: Dan's Garage Detailing - 2010 R35 Nissan GTR - White

Default Dan's Garage Detailing - 2010 R35 Nissan GTR - White

Hi All, it's been a while since I posted up one of my details here. For those of you that don't know I've quit my career in IT and taken the detailing full time now

This one was done last weekend. A very nicely modded R35 GTR. The pearl white paint on these is quite stunning once you get the required clarity out of it

The car as presented. New 20" Advan wheels as well as some choice carbon fibre mods (front lip, bonnet intakes, duck-tail boot lid). Also a very nice titanium exhaust setup

The wheels, whilst new, needed some work

Chemical decon picking up a fair bit

APC clean

Brushwork

Foam wash

Inspection showing light levels of marring, but enough to impact the clarity of the pearl for sure.

The aforementioned carbon boot lid

A walk-around with the paint depth gauge showed reasonably healthy paint levels

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

As the boot lid was carbon fibre, the standard ferrous/non-ferrous metal cheap paint depth gauge wasn't going to read into it. So out came the very expensive DeFelsko Ultrasonic gauge. It indicated lower readings, but not too bad. Certainly enough to work with.

Some adhesive residue on the lower rear exhaust surrounds. Probably from all the way back to dealer delivery

After

The gloss meter also came out for this one. Initial reading on the bonnet:

Mounted laser pointer used to fix the position of the gauge on the bonnet so reliable repeated testing can be performed

Gloss after first stage correction to remove marring. A small improvement, but the first stage correction was more for removing damage than providing high levels of gloss.

After the second finishing stage of correction we now see a BIG jump in gloss, which is to be expected as now the surface of the paint is being refined and honed to a high-gloss finish

Final pics, pre-coating. Not only is the lack of swirling obvious but visual gloss levels have jumped remarkably, backing up the gloss meter results.

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Outdoor Pics

4. Default

That is stunning

congratulations on going full time detailing

They have gloss meters? Isn't "that car is really Fukn shiny" enough?
    Awesome work as always, missed these posts

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Mate pure class! I have never come across a better blog and attention to detail!

Cheers Guys. I appreciate the kind words

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Dans shiny magic garage strikes again!
    Nice work mate!

No wonder he is the best detailer in VIC, next stop the WORRRRLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Hahah thanks Juzzie . Can you be my press agent?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The dream cleaning machine the Caffeine fiend

lol thanks Luke

Hey Caff, with the paint depth gauge - what are the readings like post correction? I've always been kind of curious to know how much paint gets removed through correction.

For a light correction like this very little would be removed. Maybe 1-2 microns at most. Heavy corrections though can generally take out as much as 5+ microns.

Remember too that these readings take into account Primer/anti-corrosion coat, Colour coat, and also clear coat. The reality is that out of say the 160 odd microns of paint detected, only about 70 of which is actual clear coat. Sounds like a lot, but over the life of a car it's not hard to whittle that down. Especially if it's been through a couple of owners and been subjected to harsh dealer details during each change of owner.

With regard to Mazda paint, it generally comes from the factory even thinner. I've seen new Mazdas with sub 100 micron paint. Some RX8s I've worked on that have been through a couple of owners have been in the high 60s.... sphincter-puckeringly low!
    Last edited by Caffeine Fiend; 16-01-2014 at 01:46 PM.