User Tag List

Thread: Head Porting and Throttle Body Questions

Default Head Porting and Throttle Body Questions

I have hit a barrier with porting as i dont know how far down the water jackets are on my head. You can see the lump inside the valve chamber on the right i want to take this out like the left 'see photo'

Can anyone tell me where i can get a 65mm butterlfy to fit the Throttle body 'see photo'

I would suggest contacting PABLO @msf forum , re water jacket as he seems to have done heaps of porting and is respected .
    Whats wrong with your butterfly?????

Quote Originally Posted by Oldhead View Post
    I would suggest contacting PABLO @msf forum , re water jacket as he seems to have done heaps of porting and is respected .
    Whats wrong with your butterfly?????
    Butterfly = bigger is better
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

@ RedDjinn velocity is better than bigger, I am port matching my inlet manifold and head inlet soon as well as the throttle body. I remember reading somewhere on MSF that there is a thin wall on the manifold where it meets the t/b so be careful, and from my experience unless you are increasing valve size and cam duration to increase cylinder volume under pressure during the cycle(you may have but I havn't followed all your build) a port match is best bang for buck. I am interested to see what you ae doingwith th low rpm butterflies in the manifold.My thoughts are to leave the shaft and drill out the screws?? for the butterflies..
    MPS=MP3..... Like a PS3 only with a bigger controller

Quote Originally Posted by Spanna View Post
    @ RedDjinn velocity is better than bigger, I am port matching my inlet manifold and head inlet soon as well as the throttle body. I remember reading somewhere on MSF that there is a thin wall on the manifold where it meets the t/b so be careful, and from my experience unless you are increasing valve size and cam duration to increase cylinder volume under pressure during the cycle(you may have but I havn't followed all your build) a port match is best bang for buck. I am interested to see what you ae doingwith th low rpm butterflies in the manifold.My thoughts are to leave the shaft and drill out the screws?? for the butterflies..
    Manifold butterflies are removed and holes from shaft will be filled. IM going 65mm thats 5mm bigger than standard, the US guys take it to 66mm BUT i want to stay the safer side.

You still have heaps of meat, but generally like said above velocity is important so maintaining a consistent port runner is your goal how ever going big turbo the aim is to allow as much air in and controlling it through the exhaust/turbo. velocity will mainly effect your lower end performance (so what) lower air speed increases the intake air temp so you typically going "huge" ain't great but the top end flow makes up for it! these effects can be seen on the before and after results of a flow tested head, more so with big valves. For street you want to mainly remove voids in the intake and exhaust ports and continue it into the manifolds and flanges. I went as far as matching my turbo flanges and down pipe also the bell of the down pipe.

Its all about removing inefficiencies which is where the gains come from.

fyi my head flowed pretty damn good compaired to an sr20det head.
    Last edited by MPS2NV; 14-01-2014 at 07:40 PM.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    You still have heaps of meat, but generally like said above velocity is important so maintaining a consistent port runner is your goal how ever going big turbo the aim is to allow as much air in and controlling it through the exhaust/turbo. velocity will mainly effect your lower end performance (so what) lower air speed increases the intake air temp so you typically going "huge" ain't great but the top end flow makes up for it! these effects can be seen on the before and after results of a flow tested head, more so with big valves. For street you want to mainly remove voids in the intake and exhaust ports and continue it into the manifolds and flanges. I went as far as matching my turbo flanges and down pipe also the bell of the down pipe.

Its all about removing inefficiencies which is where the gains come from.

fyi my head flowed pretty damn good compaired to an sr20det head.
    Thanks Mitch, we have found a couple of things on the exhaust we can make cleaner flowing. I was very surprised at how the exhaust side was for flow gets it out quick even standard, cant wait to see how it goes with a couple of things cleaned up.

Looking at porting and flow of the mega porting done in the US (see pic) we are going a different way about it. It doesn't flow properly into each valve, so we are bringing the devider back up a little higher and to a knife's edge to get flow straight into the valves (from the photos we have seen)
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 14-01-2014 at 09:02 PM.

that photos not the best one to show what im talking about

I know what your jibbering about lol

OK well im sick of relying on US forums to help(altho greatly appreicated) Steve and I with my build, there are a few things that the US guys done that i and Steve dont 100% agree with. So we have enlisted a few people to help with my head, one of these is a good friend of mine who i help in the past to write books Alexander Graham Bell (He lives in NSW back in the day in my Teens i was working on Motobikes and old nissans i helped him with 2 books @SarcasticOne @Jmac @2XS i didnt help with spelling ok rofl)

I wont go into it fully but i wont be doing mega porting! I can write you a essay why but i wont :P Mega porting will kill the bottom end torque, ports should never be 90-95% of the size of the valves used. We cant increase the size of the valve too much in our cars to port too big it is waisted ... Steve said if anyone wants it he can do mega port, with the help we have enlisted i cant go wrong . Steve is modifying his flow bench to get max Velocity for our heads and mani to spool my gtx3576 down low and give great power up top. Steve is now looking up all about my turbo to flow the best from the head, as mine will be mostly street driven and circuit based he doesn't want standard cars to flog me off the line! This build will be longer than expected BUT once done should he epic!

Cant praise Steve enough the amount of time he has put into research and the guys he has pulled in will give us Aussie guys the best product for our set up's...

I will ring again on friday for update

After talking to Mitch in the past and watching his build, I now understand now why he did somethings and not others. I'm still learning about turbos and DISI that is the MPS.....
    @MPS2NV you need to detail some of your know how...
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 16-01-2014 at 06:13 AM.

I don't document everything for a few reasons, 1 can't be arsed 2 I can't always explain my train of thinking and 3 everyone has there own ideas anyway. If people like some stuff I say or have seen my efforts with my cars and bikes hopefully they approach me for my attention to detail.

I respect your your dedication to your build and your posts about it, go hard! Lol