User Tag List

Thread: xenon bulb replacement

Default xenon bulb replacement

hey everyone,

i'm looking at replacing the stock xenon bulbs to 6000k on my gen 2 MPS.

i have a few questions..

is it possible to just buy the replacement bulbs and not touch the ballast at all? or does the whole system need to be changed? also, what size are the bulbs? i heard they are D2S. can someone confirm that?

cheers

Hi mate. Yes it's possible to leave the ballasts in. Im pretty sure they are only 35w ballasts as some manufacturers go to 55w bulbs.

What brand of bulb are you buying? Don't trust Ebay, Philips ain't Philips.
    @CelestialSpool picked up a nice set, can't remember the site.

You will need to take your bumper off and the head lights out. Super easy, takes all of 5 mins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

cool, fair enough.

i was actually looking at ebay haha. just a cheap set of bulbs.

any recommendations on what bulbs to get? let me know if you remember the website.

damn haha. i thought it's as easy as just going into the engine bay and removing it.

do u have detailed instructions on how to change the bulbs?

@LJeezy Can't fault these Morimoto 3Five Ballasts (D2S) - HID Ballasts from The Retrofit Source Inc .Those in the industry say the quality of the morimoto is very close in quality with a genuine set of Phillips without the extravagant price tag.

The "cheap" bulbs I got off a menber here that were supposedly Phliips would take 3 goes of the light switch to start them. I mean, I would have to turn the headlight on and off 3 times to ensure they were both on. I put this down to poor quality, unless the bulbs weren't matched correctly to the ballast. Spend a little extra and you'll be much happier. Also, if you do a bit of night driving, you'll have reduced visibility due to the"blue-ish" nature of the 6000k bulb.

A bit of googling for you mate came up with this for a bumper removal.

CX Racing FMIC install - Mazdaspeed Forums

How-to Guide: Front Bumper Removal (Sedan Mz3S bumper) - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

thanks for all the help guys will do this soon!

7. Default

I use these guys for globes, they're reliable and they sell genuine Phillips/Osram globes.

OSRAM Xenarc Night Breaker Unlimited D2S (Single) | PowerBulbs

I used the CBI ones in my Focus as they were the best Osram had at the time but they're a bit on the blue side being 5000K, these are 4300K so OEM spec.