User Tag List

Thread: Car pc / tablet integration

Default Car pc / tablet integration

Hi all I think this has already been covered here somewhere but I was wondering if anyone in aus had had any luck with a car pc and if so what the audio quality would be like or even integrating a tablet somewhere in the car ? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    cheers

Hi,

I've integrated a Car PC (2.5Ghz Core2Duo, 6GB RAM, 120GB SSD) into my BK MPS - running Centrafuse. I'm no audiophile, but it sounds good through the existing stereo line in/aux input. A tablet is also a possible option however needs just as much tinkering as the x86 PC option. Happy to post pics of the setup later on.

I'm currently working on a Nexus 7 2012 install in my 06 MPS 3.

I got a single din centre dash kit to house a single din above my air vents and a double din housing for where the stock unit goes. I cut up the double din kit to fit the tablet and I put a JVC head unit in the single din spot. Literally just took a break from it to browse the forum for tips.

I'm having trouble with static noise (I think it's a grounding issue), hooking up the bose sub woofer, using the stock aux in, and the hardest is retaining the LCD panel that displays the temperature and climate control. There's also steering wheel controls to add but the unit for it hasn't arrived.

I can live without the sub, I can do a dodgy job with the aux in, but the LCD panel was mounted to the original head unit and i don't know what to do just yet.

Are you much of an Android tinkerer? If I were to do this all over again i'd get an Pioneer head unit that has AppRadio and get ARLiberator from Google Play and just use my phone mirrored to the head unit.

Sounds interesting. Any pics?
    And the ground loop noise: you can get a cheap ground loop isolator from jaycar that will help. I still have static using it with the stock speakers, but it's much better than without.

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk

ive disassembled it again to try to figure out this climate control lcd issue, but the head unit is installed and the tablet is kinda secure. I could pretend the job is done but there's plenty to do.

I'll take a few snaps in the morning when i reassemble and post during the day.

http://i.imgur.com/89bxa8b.jpg

excuse the crappy photo and messy car.

http://i.imgur.com/w6hWLh2.jpg

mate of mine came over and we jerry rigged the old factory head unit mounting bracket to the back of the new double din thing. It's allowed us to mount the climate control LCD panel. The panel looks good from this angle, but from a seated position you can tell that it isn't sitting quite right. We need to adjust it a little bit as it's too far back by roughly 5mm and too high by about 1 or 2 mm.

Tablet isn't firmly seated.
    Connected to head unit via bluetooth (unit allows two devices, so I can still connect my phone).
    USB cable is tucked away in the right hand side. I have an official tablet desk dock which I've pulled apart and will use the POGO pins to charge it. Will have to do some careful cutting with a dremel to position the POGO pins in the exact spot under the tablet.
    Power and volume buttons usable at top left.

Sorry for hijacking thread.

Looks pretty good so far. If you are going to paint it all to match anyway, you could use some body filler to build up that extra 5 mills to make it flush.

Is it going to be removable when you are finished, or permanently locked in there?

Or you could go balls-out and motorise it like this guy (http://diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146064) is planning for his Gen 2. Ha ha

Sent from my evil apple using Tapatalk
    Fast: RayD Tune|COBB AP|JBR|Stratified|CP-e|Xforce|Autotech|Denso|Corksport
    Turn: Bilstein|Eibach|Whiteline|JBR|Hankook RS3
    Stop: Wilwood 4pots|Custom lines|DBA T3|Remsa|TRW 600
    Rice: JL|Alpine|Focal|MiniDSP|Rota g-force|2XS|Cree|Celestial Blue FTW!

Funnily enough I'm stuffing around with my car pc setup at the moment too - the stock head unit appears to have died (keeps shorting out), then my 7" LCD touch panel died ... so I've picked up an Eonon D5151 headunit + existing car pc - dual LCD goodness. Pics will come when it's all back together.

Not sure if you're working with a 6 or a 3 but I just finished a tablet install in my 6

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/a...pse4bd0608.jpg

That's in the top map pocket, not replacing the stock head unit. Plays music through a USB DAC into a 3.5mm jack; the overall sound quality in my car is nothing special because my speakers and amp are factory but this works just fine.

Hi,

Has anyone heard of installing an iPad as the front end to the in car entertainment system or this just a stupid idea?

Cheers

Its been done (not our cars to my knowledge). I am in the process of installing a nexus 7 into the sat nav of the 6, powers up on ignition, feeds into the aux of the factory head unit to keep all the factory controls etc.

Are you planning to use the stock system with the iPad controlling it, or go completely aftermarket? Look on mp3car and DIYMA. Plenty of people have used them and other tablets in various cars in all sorts of configurations.