User Tag List

Thread: New member about to purchase mps!

1. Default New member about to purchase mps!

Hey all,

Im 28, from Perth and been driving a junker 92 n14 sss pulsar for the last 4 years. The time has come to buy a decent car and ive got up to 30k to spend, although less is better. Im like 90% i want a BK MPS. I could afford a BL but imo they too riced out boy racer for me. Id consider an xr5 if i cant find a bk in the condition i want but im pretty set on the mps from all the reviews and comparisons ive read.

08 is the latest model bk im gonna find, so finding em with low kays aint esy. theres one ive found at 50xxx nd two at 75xxxish but thats as high as im prepared to go.
    Given im looking a a car thats at least 5-6 years old, what should i b looking out for mechanically with a 3 ? Appreciate any feedback guys.

Search is your best friend mate. Type in "warranty fixes" for a good start

3. Default

Too true i dont expect to be spoonfed info thats been posted a zillion times b4. Had allready seen the warranty fixes thread but its looong haha, also was a good thread on buying used vehicles. engine mounts seems to be issue #1 but the rest seems to b normal 2nd hand performance car issues; gearboxes average, wheel bearings, smoking turbos n buggered suspension bushes.

Drove a few BKs, two were one owner cars both asking sub 20k, the one with 50xxx very clean and im tempted to buy it but i think im gonna have a workshop do an inspection first. I feel like it ay be unnessesary given the going over my stepdad and i gave them allready, and they may sell in the meantime but id rather miss out on one or two then buy a lemon.

yes that's smart when looking at an MPS. Don't rush into it and be thorough. If you are and it's all good, chances are you've got yourself a pretty solid car. It's a buyers market at the moment, so you will have the upper hand with the seller

Yes - take your time in finding one - when u get a good one it will bring you lots of joy. I'm still enjoying mine after 4 years of ownership. Rear mounts are easy to replace - just beware the VVT and timing chains as they can go suddenly. Rest is per buying a second hand turbo car.

Find a 6!

​Slightly biased

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MadAussie View Post
    Find a 6!

​Slightly biased
    yeaaaa thought about it.. cant see much upside over a 3... slightly older, more difs n stuff to go wrong. AWD is nice in theory but unnesesary weight n more moving parts forrrr shedloads of grip...? I dont need that much Hell the 6 mps would b a great car but not for me thanks.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    yes that's smart when looking at an MPS. Don't rush into it and be thorough. If you are and it's all good, chances are you've got yourself a pretty solid car. It's a buyers market at the moment, so you will have the upper hand with the seller
    One seller mentioned he had his on the market for over 6 months.(79xxx,sub20k bk). The last remotely performance oriented car i purchased was a modded 180sx sr20det back in like 06 and i rushed into it, although i was very lucky and had years of cheap fun with that car before i sold it. I was under the impression its ALWAYS a buyers market with cars but I was too silly and young to have realised it before, but you reckon now in particular its good going for buyers?

The difference between a 6 and a 3 - when you modify a 6 the 0-100 times improve .
    Check out the buying guide if you haven't already, it covers all the usual suspects.

@rocker21 - its a pretty good buyer market for the 3 now - thats for sure - good examples are getting sold for values that don't reflect how much fun the car is to drive

Hey good luck with finding a good car. I did notice someone in WA on this forum is selling theirs and for $15K now here is the link to the post: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...006-276hp.html

Best of luck
    Cheers.

12. Default

Ok so I bought a car! Light blue December 2007 delivered 07 MPS 3 w/ 52xxx. One owner from new, wifes car mostly used to taxi kids around -baby seat in back haha. Mazda dealership logbook servicing, no other work done at all. I didn't end up getting the inspection in the end. Ideally I would have, but another buyer was sniffing around and there was really nothing that suss about this particular vehicle, its owners, or its condition in my opinion as well as my stepdads who knows cars pretty well. I was considering the inspection for a different vehicle which had had a panel replaced as well as the engine mounts and both front wheel bearings.. that one was only 1.5k cheaper and had an additional 25xxx so I think I made the right choice. Oh yeah I paid 19k.

Pick it up tomorrow, pretty excited! Havnt organized insurance yet but I will asap. I tried to get a couple quotes online but the pricks wont even give me a guestimate! Im hoping to get full comp If its affordable.. My driving history is not great but I havnt had anything serious for over 3 years, and "only" two license suspensions before that; low range DD and accumulation of over 12 demerits...

13. Default

Quote Originally Posted by mech81 View Post
    @rocker21 - its a pretty good buyer market for the 3 now - thats for sure - good examples are getting sold for values that don't reflect how much fun the car is to drive
    Agree a wrx, xr5, golf gti, honda type r all 25k at least for low k late model(in perth anyway). MPS 3s are a bargain, and personally id prefer the mps to any of the cars i listed. Its certainlly got the best donk. i think the bk has and will continue to age gracefully as well due to its relativly sedate styling as opposed to a type R for example. those things looked kinda cool futurist spaceship-spec when they came out but 5/6 years on i reckon they look horrid.

14. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jnt View Post
    Hey good luck with finding a good car. I did notice someone in WA on this forum is selling theirs and for $15K now here is the link to the post: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...006-276hp.html

Best of luck
    Cheers.
    Thanks mate, did see that one but not really what im after although probably a bargain really.
    Speaking of modded cars Im not planning to mod this thing for awhile at least but it does seems a shame not to at least let the thing breathe a little better and tune it... A boost gauge would be smart too...and something to give a digital dash readout of speed would b a lot better than the stock speedo, and dang the powdercoated rims ive seen look nice... ahh here we go again