User Tag List

Thread: Buying a BL MPS 3, what to look for?

Default Buying a BL MPS 3 (GEN2), what to look for?

Hi OzMPS,

I’ve had an account here for years but this is my first post! I am looking to buy a BL MPS 3 within the next few weeks and have a few questions.

I test drove three BK MPS 3 models recently and I wasn’t happy with what I was finding. The first blew white smoke and felt loose, the second made a bad sound on low speed cornering and had a shady history, and the third, whilst it was in good condition, hadn’t had an oil change in three years as they didn’t drive it often. After the third car I decided I should aim for the newer BL and spend a little more!

I am only looking at examples that are still on their first owner (preferably mature owner) and without any engine modifications, and serviced at the dealership. They all have relatively low KM as they aren’t too old (less than 70 000KM), but should I expect problems when up around 70K KM?. The 2009/2010 models are what I’m looking at. Should I steer away from the 2009 models as they are the first release though?

I’m inspecting a few this weekend and I’m after some advice on what to check for. There’s the typical checks for damage/repair and engine problems such as blowing smoke, but what are the more BK MPS 3 specific things I should search for?

Furthermore, if I seriously consider one then I’d like to get it up on a hoist with an experienced mechanic having a look. Is there a mechanic that knows the BK MPS 3 well in the Sydney area you can recommend?

Thank you in advance!
    Last edited by AJR; 03-01-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Im sure people will recommend tunehouse, but i would say its no difference to other workshop as they fail to report the number 1 common issue (rear engine mount) on when do my pre purchase inspection when them.

Also test drive a BL and then decide between BK and BL as their gear ratio is different, which will make them drive different.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I bought our late 2011 CWP MPS3 6 months ago from a dealer for around $30k after a small trade in. Had 14,500km on the clock and was dealer serviced. The owner had traded it on one of those Renaultsport Meganes.

It was fairly new so there wasn't anything wrong with it so it was just a general case of making sure it didn't smoke, steered straight, brakes worked with no pulling to either side, checked all the panel gaps and looked closely at the engine bay, dropped the clutch in it to stall to make sure it had plenty left and the gearbox was reasonably quiet (they aren't really).

Only had two rattles in it - the rear hatch shelf, which was fixed with some stick on felt pads, and the plastic cowl below the windscreen which was fixed with felt tape. Completely rattle free in the interior. No exterior rattles either.

We bought it after test driving WRX's. I don't like the gearbox and probably never will but its my wife's replacement car and its what she wanted.

I liked the gen2 inside its a nicer place to be inside. I have owned had both, the gen 2 is better as a drive. I didnt like the looks of the gen2 at first but once you see them in the flesh it grow on me fast...

Thanks guys! I ended up grabbing a red 2010 Mazda 3 MPS Luxury (BL). Immaculate, stock, serviced at the dealership and only 25 000KM. Drives, feels and smells like a brand new car. Love the power and the handling. The interior is a pretty nice place to be, too! Overall I'm stoked!!

Shiny example. VR for the win! Welcome mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, a 2010 model with less km than mine!

Congrats on the buy and welcome

Does it have torque steer? If not sell it..... or garrett GTX will fix that

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Shiny example. VR for the win! Welcome mate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamesa2z View Post
    Wow, a 2010 model with less km than mine!

Congrats on the buy and welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Does it have torque steer? If not sell it..... or garrett GTX will fix that
    Thanks guys! Indeed it does have a playful tug at the wheel when boost comes on in the lower gears

11. Default

Nice clean example mate! im kinda in the same boat as you cept i want a BK! Ive seen a few BLs in the flesh but they are just too boy racer for m so im looking at a late model bk. Drove two today, an 08 at a dealer with 70xxx but no history and an aftermarket boost gauge had been fitted.. Had a good look over it and was impressed overall but the 2nd one i saw was even cleaner! 1 lady owner private seller service history 53xxx 07 model . both drove well, torquey little beasts. was impressed by low down pulling power in 3rd n 4th and if anything underwhelmed by up high in 1st n 2nd but i am well aware the torque restrictor is most prominent in tthose gear so i could do sonething about it easily enough. torque steer was bugger all imo even in the less refined bk. I wish they cane with a tacho/speedo like yours tho.... BK speedo is just silly.

Quote Originally Posted by rocker21 View Post
    Nice clean example mate! im kinda in the same boat as you cept i want a BK! Ive seen a few BLs in the flesh but they are just too boy racer for m so im looking at a late model bk. Drove two today, an 08 at a dealer with 70xxx but no history and an aftermarket boost gauge had been fitted.. Had a good look over it and was impressed overall but the 2nd one i saw was even cleaner! 1 lady owner private seller service history 53xxx 07 model . both drove well, torquey little beasts. was impressed by low down pulling power in 3rd n 4th and if anything underwhelmed by up high in 1st n 2nd but i am well aware the torque restrictor is most prominent in tthose gear so i could do sonething about it easily enough. torque steer was bugger all imo even in the less refined bk. I wish they cane with a tacho/speedo like yours tho.... BK speedo is just silly.
    Thanks mate!

I originally was after a nice and clean BK, I scoped out three that looked great on Carsales and organised inspections. The first felt loose to drive, had a patchy interior and blew a bit of smoke. The second had a shady history, improperly repaired damage after a 'parking mishap' (resealed headlight, for example) and a bad wheel bearing. The third hadn't had an oil change in "roughly three years" because he didn't drive it very often. After all of that I decided to go for a newer car.

The BL at first wasn't appealing to me, but it really grew on me (clearly!). I personally don't think they are very boy racer but the bonnet scoop definitely makes it more so than the BK. I'd suggest you test drive a few of both the BK and the BL, just to get a good feel to be sure on your next purchase They're both fantastic cars, just keep searching for the right example! However the second BK you mentioned sounds like it could be a winner! Best of luck mate