User Tag List

Thread: JBR / TWM MPS 6 Short Shifter and Shifter Bushings - How to install tips

Default JBR / TWM MPS 6 Short Shifter and Shifter Bushings - How to install tips

Guys, i just put in the JBR Shifter Bushings into my MPS 6 (JBR Solid Shifter Bushings MS6 Mazdaspeed 6)

I have to admit, the JBR online instructions are sh*t house. They don't even use an MPS6 in their instructions (just the regular 6), which is not compatible with our version of the MPS 6.

So if you want a better guide, go here: http://www.twmperformance.com/manuals/mazdaspeed6-install-manual.pdf

Note, this is the installation guide for the TWM short shifter and their shifter bushings, but the steps are compatible with any short shifter or bushing set. Steps 1-13, and 32-37 are the ones for the bushing install.

I found the guide really easy to follow, but it still didn't properly cover the hardest part of this mod - Step 1: Removing the cup holders! So took some pics of me doing it to help out

Here are my revised steps:

Step 1a:
    Stick one finger into the rear left (rear if facing the bonnet) part of the hole where the hand brake is (red circle).

Pull this part up, and the rear right of the 'cup holder' section of the middle console should pry up. I had to use a fair amount of force for this.

Step 1b:
    Now put your finger towards the front left part of the hole where the hand brake is (green circle), and repeat this procedure. I had to use a fair amount of force for this as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Step 1.jpg 
Views:	343 
Size:	124.4 KB 
ID:	15657

Step 2:
    Now the entire right hand side (where the hand brake is) of the 'cup holder' should be detached, however the entire left hand side will almost certainly still be attached to the center console.

To fix this, place one finger as shown in the image below, along with a device to lever the top right side of the 'cup holder' out of the center console. You effectively will be pulling the top right (left) corner up with your finger, whilst at the same time be pulling on the (screwdriver) at the top right (top) part - either side of the corner.

The corner should pop out, leaving you the bottom left corner to pull out with a finger. I used a finger in the bottom left corner, whilst slightly pulling the already 'popped out' part from the bottom right (step 1a).

Name:	Step 2.jpg 
Views:	402 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	15658

Step 3:
    Now the entire part should be loose. Pull the entire component out of the center console as shown.

Name:	Step 3.jpg 
Views:	393 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	15659

Then follow the TWM guide.

As to how I actually found the JBR bushings.....? Well to be hones, i noticed a small difference, mainly from the reduction in 'shift notching'.....but it wasn't the amazing mod other people have said it is. Mind you, i have only had a 10 min drive with them, so it is early days yet.

Given the 5% notching that now occurs on gear shifts (if it is even that high), i would recommend this mod.
    wsDK_II
    Radiant Ebony Mazda MPS 6 (September-2007)
    My Ride: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-services.html
    What is stock????

Great tips! Helps alot with the initial removal of trim which I struggled a bit with too.
    Ive had the JBR short shift plate and bushings for about a month now. What I've noticed is that theres much less of the spongy feel with the stock shifter as it slots into gear. Combine this with the shorter throw makes shifting much more satisfying.

Thanks @Ag MPS, I have done some more driving and am starting to really notice the difference.

I don't understand why Mazda didn't include metal bushings from the start??

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ag MPS View Post
    Great tips! Helps alot with the initial removal of trim which I struggled a bit with too.
    Ive had the JBR short shift plate and bushings for about a month now. What I've noticed is that theres much less of the spongy feel with the stock shifter as it slots into gear. Combine this with the shorter throw makes shifting much more satisfying.
    Hi mate,

My JBR short shift plate is spongy going into 3rd and 5th. Its set on the max throw reduction and I have adjusted the shifter to suit. Also have the JBR metal bushes.

Is yours like this?

I have my SSP set in the middle. Cant say I've noticed sponginess in 3rd or 5th but theres still a little hesitation from 1st to 2nd.
    I have missed 3rd once but I think it was me just getting used to the shorter throw.

Hmmm.. maybe try a smaller reduction and see if that helps.

Thanks mate.

I just drove Brisbane to Sydney and back with it set at max reduction and it was really starting to bug me with the sponginess and the extra effort needed to get it into gear. I used the extra spacers under the airbox too in case of any rubbing.

This morning I tried it set in the middle but still feels awkward with some sponginess.

I ended up removing it altogether and just using the stock shifter with the JBR weight. So much smoother. Longer throw but I'm enjoying how easy it is to change gears.

Just wondering if you got in contact with JBR regarding this issue? Maybe they can help troubleshoot.

Another suggestion would be to remove ur shifter boot so you can watch the gearshift slide into third. You might be able to self diagnose it. It could just be something simple like needing some more lube.

Theres also a youtube clip by JBR on youtube that shows you how to fine tune the shifter, see if this helps.

2009 Aluminium Gen II MPS Luxury
    COBB AP v3 FREEKTUNED | HTP 3" Intake | AT HPFP Internals | DM RMM | DM PMM | Koni FSD | TS Kompact BPV | CS FTSB | JBR SSP | JBR SSB | RA Mudflaps
    Pending:

I just installed torque solution SSP n it was spongy at start but now it's starting to gel with my gear changes.

At first it felt very weird till I got the hang of the short throws but now it's getting better.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

i actually prefer my gen 1 without a SSP

Was reading comments from Lex from stratified automotive over on msf the other day regarding use of a short shift plate, he was mentioning that it doesn't allow the syncros to work properly, hence sometimes you will get gear lockout. I personally have not experienced this (using the 2xs short shift plate) but is definitely something to contemplate. I did take a while to get used to it though, and many times missed 3rd while trying to get used to it.
    I'm beginning to see that it really is a bit of a "patch" type mod in comparison though to a proper short shifter which doesn't strain the cables like the shift plate does. I definitely am considering upgrading to a proper short shifter..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Are there any short shifters that bolt on to rhd mps's? Thought I read that the twm needed substantial cutting to fit, can't remember who did it though

Quote Originally Posted by Ag MPS View Post
    Just wondering if you got in contact with JBR regarding this issue? Maybe they can help troubleshoot.

Another suggestion would be to remove ur shifter boot so you can watch the gearshift slide into third. You might be able to self diagnose it. It could just be something simple like needing some more lube.

Theres also a youtube clip by JBR on youtube that shows you how to fine tune the shifter, see if this helps
    Thanks mate.

Yeah I have done this as well - every time I installed the ssp I drove around with the boot off, adjusting the rod.

Another thing - the ssp causes slight grinding when going from 3rd to 2nd when set at max reduction, which no amount of shifter adjustment can fix.

I'm starting to think that ssp's are just a half arsed mod. The missus hates the position of the shifter as its off centre in neutral when the ssp is in.

I'll give it another shot with the ssp set at 20% and see how it goes, but the whole installation process regarding using spacers on the air box and then things don't line up properly (airbox pipe and 10mm bolt on airbox) seems a bit dodgy to me. If I'm still not happy then I'll take it off and throw in in the shed.

Sent an email to JBR but got no response.

Finally got it to work, had to use the spacers in a different way to what JBR suggests. Problem was the airbox kept rotating downwards when the intake pipe was connected to the airbox so that was then hitting the shifter linkage.

Simply just put a spacer under the airbox where its the closest to the linkage. On the other side I didn't put a spacer. That prevents the airbox from rotating downwards and problem solved.

Still half arsed though.