User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VVT alignment

That procedure only counts when only replacing VVT unit without undoing all the other gears as far as I understand. I will check when I home but I'm sure VVT location on the camshaft isn't critical. Have you only disturbed the VVT bolt?

I'm not having timing issues (I'm sure). That is all good. The thread was started because i wanted help with VVT alignment on the cam sharft.

I replaced the VVT. I have read about people having troubles like mine after doing the same thing. To me by looknig at and having a think it shouldnt matter where it situated on the sharft but people on MSF seem to think it does. The oil holes need to line up so I've read. Some clarification on that would be nice though as im going off what I've read.
    Last edited by Fi5h; 20-12-2013 at 10:09 AM.
    2006 MPS6 Gray - BNR S3 V2, 2XS turbo manifold, CPE 3” catted down pipe, Magna Flow cat back, HTP 3” TIP, HTP 3” MAF, HDI FMIC, Turbo smart BPV, 3 bar MAP, 3 port cobb boost solenoid, Auto Tech fuel pump, CPE injector seals, EGR delete (second and primary), VTCS delete, JBR Thermal Gasket Intake Manifold & Throttle Body, V3 Access Port.

98RON 260kw - 490Nm RayTuned

I will delete my threads.

Why are you going to delete them?

The VVT unit has no specific location when being fixed to the camshaft hence the need for camshaft alignment tools. If replacing the VVT unit only ie not disturbing or resetting the whole timing train, the marking of VVT to camshaft relation is the only way of reference to the original position of the inlet cam. The problem with attempting VVT only replacement is that any movement of the VVT in a clock wise direction while the tensioning of that gear is done will effectively retard the camshafts from the desired static setting.. That's why it's recommended that the whole timing train be reset in a sequence to ensure that the static camshaft timing is correct after the procedure.

The VVT unit itself has an alignment notch on the rotor and cover, if those marks do not align it's almost certain that the the unit is ****ed so it's time to bin it. Is it possible they are the marks you have read about that must be aligned?

Either way, after the VVT has been replaced the timing should re inspected to confirm the timing is aligned correctly and that will pick up any problems before damage is done and action can be taken.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

6. Default

Note to myself, reading all this makes my head spin...shit just lining up the cam dot on the sprocket to the crank on a hemi R/T 6 cylinder years back gave me a heart attack looking at it for 4 hours to see if it was lined up lol ..make sure someone that has done this successfly a couple of times will get my money to install if and when i need it done lol

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Note to myself, reading all this makes my head spin...shit just lining up the cam dot on the sprocket to the crank on a hemi R/T 6 cylinder years back gave me a heart attack looking at it for 4 hours to see if it was lined up lol ..make sure someone that has done this successfly a couple of times will get my money to install if and when i need it done lol
    I have completed this task successfully on 3 different occasions without any issues.
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    I have completed this task successfully on 3 different occasions without any issues.
    Amother note contact MPS2NV when the time comes hehe

Quote Originally Posted by MPS2NV View Post
    The VVT unit has no specific location when being fixed to the camshaft hence the need for camshaft alignment tools. If replacing the VVT unit only ie not disturbing or resetting the whole timing train, the marking of VVT to camshaft relation is the only way of reference to the original position of the inlet cam. The problem with attempting VVT only replacement is that any movement of the VVT in a clock wise direction while the tensioning of that gear is done will effectively retard the camshafts from the desired static setting.. That's why it's recommended that the whole timing train be reset in a sequence to ensure that the static camshaft timing is correct after the procedure.

The VVT unit itself has an alignment notch on the rotor and cover, if those marks do not align it's almost certain that the the unit is ****ed so it's time to bin it. Is it possible they are the marks you have read about that must be aligned?

Either way, after the VVT has been replaced the timing should re inspected to confirm the timing is aligned correctly and that will pick up any problems before damage is done and action can be taken.

Thank you very much for that. I appreciate the help. I don't get a new crank bolt till after Chrissy so ill post on this thread after the car is back together and hopefully not blowing up haha.
    2006 MPS6 Gray - BNR S3 V2, 2XS turbo manifold, CPE 3” catted down pipe, Magna Flow cat back, HTP 3” TIP, HTP 3” MAF, HDI FMIC, Turbo smart BPV, 3 bar MAP, 3 port cobb boost solenoid, Auto Tech fuel pump, CPE injector seals, EGR delete (second and primary), VTCS delete, JBR Thermal Gasket Intake Manifold & Throttle Body, V3 Access Port.

98RON 260kw - 490Nm RayTuned

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12