User Tag List

Thread: New 2006 Mazda 6 MPS owner from Sydney

Default New 2006 Mazda 6 MPS owner from Sydney

Hey guys,

My name is Gary and I was born and raised in Sydney all my life. I am a civil engineer working as a systems engineer in the transport industry. I am finally an owner of a wonderful Mazda 6 MPS . I've owned it for about a month now and been meaning to become a member and get involved in the MPS community. I am one of those people who gives their car the TLC they require. By saying that, I have an interest in car detailing (wash/clay bar/compound/polish/ wax etc...) and light modifications.

Some details about the car:
    Year: 2006
    Make/model: Mazda 6 MPS
    Colour: Midnight/dark purple
    Klm: 111,111 (It was actually like that one week ago)

Some plans with the car:
    - Bonnet bulge decal " (not sure if they come in white and if they work well with dark purple)
    - Perhaps tint or change front foglights to yellow
    - White parker lights
    - Front bumper lip
    - Slight layer of haziness on headlight - want to restore it
    - Lightweight racing rims 9.5" wide, 18" diam (245 width tyres) - not sure if this size will fit car
    - Try to reduce weight somehow
    - Coilovers
    - Ecutek + some other engine performance enhancing mods

Anyways, I think I've said enough for now. As you can see in the list I mentioned above, there are a fair few questions which I need the answers to. Hopefully I could contribute to this forum by sharing my knowledge about car detailing. I hope this post didn't breach any rules on the forum as I'm still new here and not too familiar with "all" the rules yet. Thanks for reading guys!

Kind regards,
    GaryClick image for larger version. 

Name:	MPS_front.jpg 
Views:	760 
Size:	236.8 KB 
ID:	15553
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPS_rear.jpg 
Views:	790 
Size:	300.3 KB 
ID:	15554

Welcome Gary! Nice ride you picked up there! Look forward to meeting you on our cruise/meet days!

hi and welcome

Thanks guys. I look forward to meeting you all

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

9.5 won't fit... Anything more than 8.5 is going to be difficult...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Welcome, must be doing a bit of scrubbing on 9.5 rim

Welcome mate, I have the 2007 version, same color. Awesome car.

First off black out your plates for pics....just in case.

Yellow fog lights on these cars are......well its your choice :P

Unless you want to ruin the car, not much you can do to remove weight....maybe remove the spare wheel?

I wanted to do front bumper lip too, but wasn't cost effective - if you know a guy....

Why coilovers first? Have you thought about swaybars?

Also look into doing engine mounts (rear, passenger, transmission) and the rear diff mount if you are modding the engine....and power.

I swapped out most of my little lights for 6000k LEDs....looks sweet!!

What are you looking for with mods? You have come to the right place

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk
    wsDK_II
    Radiant Ebony Mazda MPS 6 (September-2007)
    My Ride: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-services.html
    What is stock????

Thanks for all your comments guys.

Yeah I wasn't too sure if 9.5" wide rims will fit on my car. However, I am quite keen on these ones (the 9.5" ones):
    RAYS - Gram Light 57D.R OTR Special MAG Blue Color
    If I'm not mistaken, the factory wheels on the 6 mps are 8"? Will the +22 (22mm) offset on the wheels in the link alleviate this issue?

I actually wasn't thinking about blacking out my number plate when I uploaded that photo, lesson learnt for next time . I think you're right but trying to reduce weight. There's really not much I can do in this area. I guess I may need to focus on increasing power.

With the coilovers, my friend just recently purchased and installed Ohlin's coilover for $2-3k for his r33 skyline and it made a significant different. I've heard that the mazda 6 mps factory suspension performs much better than most aftermarket suspensions out there so I may need to be careful if I was to upgrade this. I was thinking swaybars might do the trick but wasn't sure if there would be one for the engine bay because there's the top mount intercooler in the way (I'm guessing it travels behind it).

Thanks for the tips about the engine mounts! I will definitely keep a keen eye on them when doing any engine mods.

wsDKII, Can you please send me a link to where you got your parker lights from? I was thinking of getting these: T10 SMD Super White LED Bulb Globe FOR Mazda 3 Mazda 6 MPS Parkers Parking Light | eBay

I did some searching over the net for some front lips but couldn't find anything I was after. If I do end up installing one for a reasonable price, I will let you know .

Since my car is completely stock, it is somewhat TOO quiet for a turbo car. Therefore, I would like to give it some of that grunt but not loud at all. And I really don't want to get rid of the factory air box. At this stage, my number 1 priority is to get my timing chain fixed because it is a bit loose.

I think you might be confusing sway bars for struts - sway bars are underneath the car, struts on the top. Also there are some struts that work with the stock intercooler.

Look into whiteline for sway bars if your interested, about $250 for the rear (what I just bought)

There really arnt too many aftermarket suspension offerings for our cars....putting stiff coilovers on a skyline makes sense, but you might just start to hate it on a mps6....i took a ride in one that had it done, was like driving in a track car.....not for daily driving (imo)

If you are thinking of getting more power out, I would recommend changing the stock air intake system (which is pretty restrictive) for a cai+tip or sri+tip. Your car will have the air it needs

wsDK_II
    Radiant Ebony Mazda MPS 6 (September-2007)
    My Ride: http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/membe...-services.html
    What is stock????

Also, can't remember exactly what parkers I got, but they look ok. I'm currently looking for higher powered reverse lights so I can see at night!

I think the stock rims on a 6 are 18x7 and +55 offset or something like that.

You could always have a look at mazdaspeedforums in the us to see what rims they have managed to squeeze on, I don't think I have seen any with +22 though. Also, word of warning, make sure you read and search everything on their forum before making any posts, especially if it asks something like which bov is best lol, they will tear you to shreds! You should also search this forum too of course but this place is much more friendly
    AP V3 (Rayd tuned) / CP-E CAI / CP-E TIP / JBR Trilogy / CS Front Strut Brace / JBR SSP / JBR Shift Knob / JBR shifter bushings / Eibach Pro-Kit / Bilstein B8's / SURE Juggernaught / SURE Dreadnaught / Whiteline RSB / Toyo Proxes T1R 235/40/18 / Evo X BBS rims / Turbosmart Dual Port BOV / CP-E DP / CP-E TMIC / Autotech internals / Superpro bushings

Future mods:
    BT, DM OCC, EGR delete, Braided clutch/brake lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, DBA T3 rotors....

9.5+22 won't fit... Not without serious camber, which ruins the point of the car...

And MSF is fine, just all the questions about power up to 400whp have been answered a million times, and there is a massive thread about proper wheel fitment, and an aggressive offset thread, which should cover everyone's needs