User Tag List

Thread: One step colder plugs yay or nay?

Default One step colder plugs yay or nay?

So far I've done most of the basics but I'm still using stock turbo and intercooler.

Should I be looking to fit colder plugs now or should I wait until I've changed the intercooler?

Only reason I ask is once warm I get some crackling from the exhaust. Usually only under part throttle changes but the crackle becomes a pop now and again under a WOT gearchange.

Usually only need step colder plugs if running a tune with higher boost and advanced timing.

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Usually only need step colder plugs if running a tune with higher boost and advanced timing.
    It's running the stage 2 Cobb ap tune does that count?

Sent from my Xperia Z using Tapatalk 4

I have 1 step cooler plugs cause everyone else does

Quote Originally Posted by st3ve View Post
    It's running the stage 2 Cobb ap tune does that count?

Sent from my Xperia Z using Tapatalk 4
    A step colder won't hurt with stage 2, make sure you gap them, especially if getting NGKs
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

I have colder plugs and it still pops. To my knowledge its caused by an indifference from air measured from intake and when your bypass valve opens it returns air to the start of the intake cycle but fuel has already been compensated/added for that air volume into the cylinders causing a momentary rich mix causing your pop. Also the internal wastegate opens to release hot/exhaust side pressure at the same time interrupting exhaust flow too. Tuners can manipulate air/fuel mixtures in relation to partial throttle position to counteract the cause you have. That is my muddled up interpretation I hope it makes sense and also don't mind if it is elaborated or corrected Cheers
    MPS=MP3..... Like a PS3 only with a bigger controller

7. Default

I ended up getting the ITV22's when i got the stage 2 tune with the AP. I noticed the car ran and idled smoother. Helps with the higher boost seetings too.
    Wont go wrong if you are running higher boost

The tune can have loads to do with idle alone, with Ecuteck mine was popping and farting at idle non stop, going through an Etune atm and it idles like a dream..if it's having issues under WOT check clamps on hoses etc, especially the small one from the boost solenoid to intake. my car was acting up big time in 4th under WOT, some zip ties on that small hose and issue solved.

9. Default

I agree with you