User Tag List

Thread: Spec 3+ clutch has no gears???

Default Spec 3+ clutch has no gears???

Ok firstly I would like to say the slave cylinder is good and has regular piston throw out, flex hose is not expanding under pressure, gear selectors ok and selects great with engine off, new pilot bearing with extra grease.
    Fitted the new clutch/flywheel combo yesterday and cannot select gears with engine on I am a mechanic and have fitted many clutches std/conversion DMF and h/d ones nothing abnormal was noted in my fitting but the marker on the clutch plate said to put the raised side towards the flywheel?? I did this on the first fit. Once I had no gears/dragging clutch I pulled it back out (yes it is not a fun job) measured against the DMF all seems within reason. I then fitted the clutch plate the way I would with any other clutch I have ever fitted and the same result occurred ggrrrr. Now the box is out again!!!!! 3rd time and I am lost for an answer. Physically the flywheel has scores as it should but the pressure plate is clean/new. Splines on input shaft are wire brushed like new all pivot lubrication points are clean and re greased well over and beyond the normal r+r that anyone would perform even the inside of the bellhousing got a polish.
    I also spaced out the pushrod on the slave to give it more throw but no luck.
    My question is directly related to anyone that experienced issues with the spec and flywheel non-ratchet style alot of people have spec/findanza combo's. Cheers
    MPS=MP3..... Like a PS3 only with a bigger controller

Well I have the g/box removal down pat now can remove and refit in 3hrs not that I should need to anyway refitted the std clutch and low and behold the gear selection is normal (the std factory clutch only slipped once but once out the centre nylon bush has excessive movement hence the new clutch) now it is evident there is no probs with g/box,slave,flex hose,linkages,oil etc. Very angry now this is supposed to be a spec 3+ conversion kit what is going wrong. Ready to sell the kit is anyone interested $1000 posted to lower eastern states. Someone else might get lucky??

Very strange indeed, I have the spec 3+ with fidanza flywheel and they worked first time . It sounds like you did everything correctly ?

Maybe @MPS2NV can help out?

No gears as in the stick is in gear but no drive or as in when you try and select a gear you only get grinding due to clutch not fully disengaged?

Hi @ MPS2NV I have a normal clutch pedal feel and can get gears with engine off but syncro's complain when I try and select 1st or Reverse. The physical evidence of the p/p and flywheel says that the flywheel is slipping but the p/p looks like new bar a small line on the inside ring of the mating surface not happy spent lots of coin for a piece of shit conversion from spec

Try emailing the Vendor, i have read on the USA forums a few of these have been returned for replacement due to grinding gear changes etc.

It's not dis engaginging fully for what ever reason, unlucky I guess send that email!
    NPC got my clutch spot on first attempt, I would suggest trying them for what options they have.

Had a gearbox pro look at the set up today out of the car assembled and he said the pressure plate has way too much clamping force, like double what was required and I would make my slave explode. He aswell as I both laughed at the so called bedding in period. NEVER has either he or I bed in a clutch over a period of time/km's. Our correct bed in period is slightly abuse it for a 10min roadtest make sure its not faulty and hand it over to the customer. Who can determine the amount of slip or gear changes and not need to ride it on a hill start within that period?? @MPS2NV and @shaneski thanks for the replies but they are on the other side of the world and $300 shipping each way and I am not in the mood for an e-mail tennis match, I have to just admit defeat and try and resolve the manufacturing fault myself locally but I cant post in the for sale section but if any one wants to buy the set up for $1000 shipped and think it is operator error by all means contact me. OEM is the way to go engineered for the car by several engineers not 1.

Could possibly be the clutch fork/flexing but that would be hard to believe unless the pressure plate like you say is just way to heavy for the application which in that case would be a consistent problem with their kits, only other thing may be the machined face of the flywheel, may not be correct clearance for some reason.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Spanna View Post
    Had a gearbox pro look at the set up today out of the car assembled and he said the pressure plate has way too much clamping force, like double what was required and I would make my slave explode. He aswell as I both laughed at the so called bedding in period. NEVER has either he or I bed in a clutch over a period of time/km's. Our correct bed in period is slightly abuse it for a 10min roadtest make sure its not faulty and hand it over to the customer. Who can determine the amount of slip or gear changes and not need to ride it on a hill start within that period?? @MPS2NV and @shaneski thanks for the replies but they are on the other side of the world and $300 shipping each way and I am not in the mood for an e-mail tennis match, I have to just admit defeat and try and resolve the manufacturing fault myself locally but I cant post in the for sale section but if any one wants to buy the set up for $1000 shipped and think it is operator error by all means contact me. OEM is the way to go engineered for the car by several engineers not 1.
    Thats the thing Spanna, depending on the power output (400hp plus) and what you use it for track/drag racing. The OEM is more than fine for general street use.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

@MPS2NV thanks for the thought we are on the same page I have crack test paint and UV light (I am a metal fabricator aswell) the fork passes the test but the plastic pushrod and ball on the slave is scary and no adjustment anywhere. I suppose they did have a self ratcheting clutch std the spec clutch disc has a wicked amount of meat on it way thicker than normal could be the cause of the extra clamping force??

@shaneski well its the wifes daily shopping cart which has an excited driver on weekend runs mainly 3-4 pulls and she does town driving but no traffic lights . I just wanted to slightly overkill the clutch in order to never pull the box out again, ha how wrong was I? I have copper greased the tranny bolts in an effort so I hope I dont pull the thread out of the alloy block from excessive use.

The pressure plate may require say 3/8 of movement to release the clutch disc which may be happening but the relationship between the flywheel and released pressure plate may not be enough hence it's still being clamped, on the other hand the master cylinder may not be adjusted correctly (riding) which will not allow full displacement of the slave cylinder. I would be more inclined to investigate the clutch kit itself though.

If your pulling threads I would invest in a torque wrench and lay off the protein shakes lol

HaHa @MPS2NV I have an elbow click torque wrench you know what I mean
    I measured 18mm piston travel at the slave end but what that translates at the thrust and fork pivot location etc but measured the same travel with the std clutch in. p/p fingers are about 6 degrees outward facing its a farking shame as it looks like a work of art.
    Last edited by Spanna; 16-12-2013 at 09:09 PM.