User Tag List

Thread: AC Compressor Failure!! Needs replacement..

Default AC Compressor Failure!! Needs replacement..

Hey guys,
    Some of you may remember my facebook post from yesterday in relation to Aircon not working. I went to Tom kerr in order to get 40k service and the issue resolved. As always, John looked after the car and was very accommodating with my requests.

Thanks @Robmps for calling in and letting John know about me and the issue. After the service, John advised me that the compressor has in fact failed and requires replacement. I was quoted about $1750 for the part, labour, re-gas. OUCH

To john's credit, he put a warranty claim in for me given the fact that my vehicle is out of warranty. Hopefully it gets approved and he'll let me know on Monday.

Now, I got some options lined up. what would you guys suggest??
    - Looked on some usa stores and can get the part pretty cheap however shipping may be expensive, Anyone able to help out with the installation, willing to pay for the time consumed.
    - Spoke with a local mechanic who quoted me about $550 for replacement part, not sure if its aftermarket.
    - Thinking of contacting wreckers and get a second hand part.

Cheers
    Gurusev

@Robmps

I got mine from wreckers and was about $250.

I installed it myself as the aircon pump was easy. Few bolts.

Regas was about $100

Look around.

Happy Motoring
    duglet

Sent from my Olivetti typewriter

I would recommend wreckers as a first point of call too.

Fitment should not be too complicated, so doing it yourself is certainly possible.

Default AC Compressor Failure!! Needs replacement..

Wreckers mate
    Got one for my 6 for $200

Not too hard to change its a little tight down there but it can be done

Depending on how severe and what part of the compressor is damaged will impact the repair cost, if the system is full of metal particals for example it may be required that the ac system requires a lot more attention then what your hoping for. Instead of looking at the cost alone ask these places what damage is done and what items and work thy are doing to rectify and repair the system. If the gas is still in the system make sure you do the responsible thing and let it straight to the atmosphere!