User Tag List

Thread: Hard to start after a bit of WOT

1. Default Hard to start after a bit of WOT

Hey guys,

I'm having some issues after doing a short sprint of WOT, turning the car off for several hours, after coming back and trying to start it again, it's not starting. It cranks, but won't start. It will however start after the second time, so it does eventually start, but initially it won't.

If I don't do any WOT, the car starts as normal.

Even after a little spirited driving, the car will start but start at a real low rev range, and eventually regain it's normal idle position. Once again, if the car is driven normally, it will start normally.

Idle is all fine. I have a feeling it's something to do with the MAF or oxygen sensor??

The only mod is a no name SRI.

Thanks for any help

2. Default

Anyone have any ideas?

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

Spark plugs?
    Double check everything with the Sri
    Got anything to monitor?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

What about the battery?had it checked

Is the cheap SRI running an oiled filter?

Try cleaning your MAF,might have oil or Gunk from SRI.
    If you only have an SRI you should have it Properly calabrated with a Cobb APP when I had my Cobb SRI before tune it was running like a dog
    Last edited by chef; 09-12-2013 at 08:03 AM.

7. Default

Thanks guys, the spark plugs were just changed, so could be gap issue? But I doubt that, cause it normally starts fine.

How do I clean the MAF? And yes, I need to get a Cobb AP...

I just got the car from a used dealership, so I'm not sure on the specifics of the SRI, but am planning on getting a new one soon.

*edit* Just found a spray from supercheap that seems to clean it, will do it and report back
    Last edited by daoutlawz; 09-12-2013 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by daoutlawz View Post
    Thanks guys, the spark plugs were just changed, so could be gap issue? But I doubt that, cause it normally starts fine.

How do I clean the MAF? And yes, I need to get a Cobb AP...

I just got the car from a used dealership, so I'm not sure on the specifics of the SRI, but am planning on getting a new one soon.

*edit* Just found a spray from supercheap that seems to clean it, will do it and report back
    Often hear of people/mechanics just chucking new plugs in, expecting them to be correctly gapped, but they aren't...
    Would pay to gap them.

Also check out my thread, few how tos in there, this is cleaning the maf:
    http://www.ozmpsclub.com/forum/showthread.php?p=274901
    --> "08-mps" <--

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

Any luck with this? I have pretty much the same issue.

After a drive, doesn't have to be spirited, but anything longer then about 20 minutes sitting and it takes quite a bit to crank.

I have been leaning towards the fuel pump, but if the MAF clean works for you, i will give that a go.

(mine is a stock Gen 1, except for K&N filter)

10. Default

Yeah mate, was going to give it another week of testing before I posted back, but it seems a good clean of the maf fixed the issue. It was black on one side and clean on the other so it needed a clean regardless :P

Cleaning it is super easy as well. I just got a maf cleaner from supercheap, CRC one.

interesting! might go get a cleaner then.. mine is starting to lightly hunt at idle with AC off, this could fix that as well.

Glad to hear so far so good for you!

12. Default

Yeah could do so

But I did go off the thread posted earlier and I disconnected the battery while I was cleaning it for the ecu to readjust.

didn't work for me

14. Default

Yeah, mines sorta returned too...I'm thinking plugs now cause they were just changed.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

15. Default

Just as an update to this whoever was facing the same issues. I finally got it fixed.

After a fair bit of research, I found some forum posts (from the US) indicating that it most likely is a blocked or partially blocked EGR. I finally got around to cleaning mine out, and all I can say is O M G, the thing was chock full of soot, and when cleaned, the car felt like brand new.

My issue is not only resolved, but the car responds waaaay better then ever before.

Hope that helps anyone.