User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heat Soak Your thoughts

Default Heat Soak Your thoughts

I will be running Tmic and lots of boost! Which will heat the shit out of the turbo, mani and engine. I have an idea for aftermarket manifold and exhaust housing, what do you guys think of ceramic coating the engine/tappet cover? We have all seen people with heat shields but i think this will fack the flow up once moving plus add heat to plugs/coil packs, lets face it when we are stuck in traffic no point wanting power anyway!

So do you think ceramic coating the engine cover will help BATs?

As most know, I had a Pulsar GTi-R a fair while ago. That thing suffered from heat soak far more than my MPS ever did.
    On the bonnet there were two small vents either side of the main scoop. They have covers on them originally, presumeably to stop rain.
    Once I took mine off, the difference was remarkable. The heat that came out of those vents on a hot day would nearly burn your hand. Probably would if you could hold your hand there long enough.

Its something I've been saying the MPS needs for a long time. Don't worry about trying to insulate the heat or get colder air in, let the heat out of the engine bay
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

I'd probably jump on mazdaspeedforums.org and see if anyone else has done it but sans 'bum dyno' responses. I wouldn't pay any attention to anything that didn't have an AP log to back up claims of lowered BATs. Maybe insulating gaskets and/or tape might be better and easier to reverse if it turns out bad?

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    As most know, I had a Pulsar GTi-R a fair while ago. That thing suffered from heat soak far more than my MPS ever did.
    On the bonnet there were two small vents either side of the main scoop. They have covers on them originally, presumeably to stop rain.
    Once I took mine off, the difference was remarkable. The heat that came out of those vents on a hot day would nearly burn your hand. Probably would if you could hold your hand there long enough.

Its something I've been saying the MPS needs for a long time. Don't worry about trying to insulate the heat or get colder air in, let the heat out of the engine bay
    Vents in bonnet? Try to funnel air from front through engine bay?
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Vents in bonnet? Try to funnel air from front through engine bay?
    No, don't worry about getting air in. When your car is stationary (cause of heat soak), that can't be done. You need to let the hot air out.
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

I took the rear weather strip off mine, really helps.
    When I'm stationary I can see the heat waves escaping out

How abt I make two vents on bonnet right on top of turbo n manifold. Gen 1 , seems like Gud idea

I had a distinctly warmed up Jaguar 2.4 MkII a long time ago that went about as well as a 3.8. While engine temps weren't as high as those in confined engines bays of modern turboed motors, I louvred the bonnet of mine anyway. It looked good and dissipated heat like nothing else did. Forget the cost of ceramic coating the headers - it'll do nothing to reduce engine bay temps and may if anything reduce the rate at which pipes can get rid of heat, thus potentially degrading them and the cats faster. Lag or shield the things you don't want to cook, especially wiring, clutch lines and clutch cylinder and battery housing. A TMIC will pump lots of heat high into the bay anyway (which is why FMIC makes more sense, and you get nice cool air straight into the top of the engine bay when running), so get rid of it fast through bonnet venting. Finding someone who can do a god job of louvring is the problem nowadays but you can buy vent inserts as an alternative.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Lifted the hatch on my rx7 bonnet (opens opposite to ours) to get rid of heat. Only about cm or two. Had to be careful tho.. As said earlier on a hot day you can really see the heat coming out.
    I've always thought this topic needed attention. And I'm a fan of cutting holes in the bonnet to let heat out lol

OK so we all agree, best way if running Tmic is to get rid of the heat... Who is going to test it? I have a grinder

Quote Originally Posted by Rayd View Post
    This is a common solution from the yanks. I tried it, but before I could do any proper analysis, it noted that at highway speed you could see the bonnet moving up and down at the back. Due to finding this a bit disconcerning I put it back on...

Best thing I did was remove the big metal weather shielding from the back of the motor, sure I had no windscreen wipers but it gives you about 6 inches of open space for heat to get out of

Back in the day it was common to put washes under the bonnet hinges, this bumps the rear up a bit and also provides a gap to let heat out.
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

Quote Originally Posted by Rayd View Post
    This mod works best on the 6 cause of airflow issues on the 6 because of transfer case blocking air escaping.
    i tried this on gen 1 and it did nothing
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

You have to be wary of looking like a Hyundai Excel with stuck on vents.

But these look ok.

This one a little extreme, but still nice integration into the bonnet.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Attachment 15521 something like that

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    You have to be wary of looking like a Hyundai Excel with stuck on vents.

But these look ok.

This one a little extreme, but still nice integration into the bonnet.

Noticed there over the exhausts too so there not for show

The exhaust headers? Yeah, it's off a Mustang.

17. Default

Like you said if stuck in traffic not worried about performance, you have meth already doesn't it null and void the concern for BATs once the foot is into it ?

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Like you said if stuck in traffic not worried about performance, you have meth already doesn't it null and void the concern for BATs once the foot is into it ?
    To a degree, if you can start your bats lower before water is injected you will end up even lower

19. Default

Any reason you won't go FMIC, how much boost etc you gonna be running...the build thread of the mazdaspeed 6 that makes 700whp and daily driven on MSF is a great read for a reliable beast

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Any reason you won't go FMIC, how much boost etc you gonna be running...the build thread of the mazdaspeed 6 that makes 700whp and daily driven on MSF is a great read for a reliable beast
    Lag and i enjoy doing the impossible, when someone says i cant i like to find a way .. Looking at 26psi on the GTX35
    Last edited by RedDjinn; 03-12-2013 at 08:43 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast