User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Heat Soak Your thoughts

Asked my panel beater Laurie about louvering bonnet, only 2 places he knows and there both in sydney. I will find out more when i see him next.

I admit that to some extent my last was a technical point rather than practical. If you consider how hard manufacturers try to reduce the drag coefficients (DC) of their cars it is important. Once the E-type jag was noted for its extremely low DC - around 0.3 - but now the average sedan is achieving similar or better figures. And it's not all about an obviously slippery shape like a Ferrari. The little Renault R8 was a box with a blunt front but it was as slippery as an E-type. A lot of it comes from shrouding and eliminating gaps and airflow disruption and chopping the vacuum created at the rear.

All that said, if I was really concerned about heat build up, and I agree it is an issue with the MPS in that tight engine bay and with the turbo hard up against the firewall, then I'd lean towards getting rid of the heat and living with some infinitesimal increase in drag.

Besides, a cooler engine bay can have positives in terms of power delivery (and other benefits) due to improved volumetric efficiency - depending on where your intake air is coming from. If I was in Tassie I wouldn't bother, but the further north or west you go here, then heat build-up can be a potential problem.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

^^ I get no heat soak down here correct @Doug_MPS6 and just to make everyone envy me The Sidling (Targa's best part) is 5 min away from me. No traffic lights = no heat soak. But just to confirm we do get 30+c days in summer equal to 40+c on the mainland trust me it can get effin hot at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanna View Post
    ^^ I get no heat soak down here correct @Doug_MPS6 and just to make everyone envy me The Sidling (Targa's best part) is 5 min away from me. No traffic lights = no heat soak. But just to confirm we do get 30+c days in summer equal to 40+c on the mainland trust me it can get effin hot at times.
    I want you banned for making us envious......
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Maybe the answer is just to ignore traffic lights..."er..sorry orrificer, I was just maintaining airflow!"

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_MPS6 View Post
    Maybe the answer is just to ignore traffic lights..."er..sorry orrificer, I was just maintaining airflow!"
    Get out at a set of lights with a massive 12volt fan lol....

Luke, if you go FMIC, suddenly your bonnet scoop becomes a vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Yeldarb View Post
    Luke, if you go FMIC, suddenly your bonnet scoop becomes a vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If i go Fmic the scoop will go.
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

My approach exactly! Except it ram feeds the air-filter, so not much gets past it on the outside. And the air still need to get OUT again.

I think u just put your hands up

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    When in doubt, power out....of control.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecolt View Post
    I think u just put your hands up

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    Yes and then install it on my gen1

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    --> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

I will be doing it sometime, may do it while i have it off the car

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    I will be doing it sometime, may do it while i have it off the car
    Where exactly in the bonnet?

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    Where exactly in the bonnet?

Not sure i will have a closer look next week or too

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234