User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heat Soak Your thoughts

Just my 2c worth but ditch the single thermo with the speed flap things and modify a ford el-ba falcon dual fans. EG one for std thermo switch cooling and one over ridden manually on a switch. This will pull some serious clean air through your radiator even at 88degrees c it will be airflow at lights as you stated you need. These fans have a bent blade and low current draw once started and come with awesome shrouds all for round $100 and from memory are slim enough to fit. You wouldn't ceramic coat youroil cap for that price.PS I have used these fans to cool big cammed auto V8's with success. Cheers
    MPS=MP3..... Like a PS3 only with a bigger controller

2. Default

Or in the Gen 2s you can just put the aircon on so the fan comes on and keeps the engine around 85c temps in traffic, when you put the foot down or the engine is under load the aircon instanty switches off.

Cool food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    Lag and i enjoy doing the impossible, when someone says i cant i like to find a way .. Looking at 26psi on the GTX35
    The HDI that Jase has depeloped for the Gen 2 has minimal lag with less than half the pressure drop of a Bar and plate TMIC and FMIC ,0.2 psi so lag is pretty much non existent
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Or in the Gen 2s you can just put the aircon on so the fan comes on and keeps the engine around 85c temps in traffic, when you put the foot down or the engine is under load the aircon instanty switches off.
    Might try this on the Gen 1, having air con on looses HP too
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Might try this on the Gen 1, having air con on looses HP too
    But the gen 2 switches off under load yes @shaneski? cuz i didn't know that ....
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

The AC will turn off in all MPS's under WOT

8. Default

Is there a setting in the AP that can turn the engine fan on what ever temp you select it to run?

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    Is there a setting in the AP that can turn the engine fan on what ever temp you select it to run?
    Nope

Talk to the guys in the Austin Healey or MG Car Clubs and find out who louvred their bonnets. They look much better than stuck-in vented apertures.

As engines become more confined in the available spaces, with V configurations and transverse engines becoming more common to reduce bonnet length, weight and height and improve aerodynamics, engine bay temps are steadily rising. Underneath aerodynamic shrouding, turbos and cats just add to the problem.

Here are a few examples to choose from: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=l...iw=652&bih=458
    Last edited by Doug_MPS6; 04-12-2013 at 02:26 PM.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Radiator fan is mainly going to effect only the engine water temperature. Engine water temperature is controlled by the thermostat. Opening to allow cool water through the engine when the water is above a pre defined temperature by the thermostat
    It will have next to no effect on what is the problem Luke is talking about. residual heat.
    You need to get the heat that is hanging around your intake and turbo etc out of the engine bay. As on a MPS the heat producing bits (turbo and exhaust) is on the back side of the motor its very difficult to even at speed use flowing air to cool that area down, there just simply is not enough room.
    Last edited by bd581; 04-12-2013 at 02:46 PM.
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

Also if you have a fmic, the increased radiator fan blowing, will make the bats even worse as the end of the cold pipe will be running all along where the rad fan's blowing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Also removed both weather stripping on mine (front and rear). Makes a noticeable difference in traffic, heat waves can escape thru small gaps
    people go on about windows fogging up, never really an issue for me without stripping

Quote Originally Posted by dazza View Post
    Also removed both weather stripping on mine (front and rear). Makes a noticeable difference in traffic, heat waves can escape thru small gaps
    people go on about windows fogging up, never really an issue for me without stripping
    Did you notice any movement of the bonnet when driving along @ highways speeds?
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

15. Default

What's this weather striping you guys mention? Is that the rubber seal at the back on top of the shroud?

Quote Originally Posted by son of eevil View Post
    What's this weather striping you guys mention? Is that the rubber seal at the back on top of the shroud?
    yep thats it , the strip that runs across the back of the bonnet nearest to the windscreen wipers.

17. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rayd View Post
    yep thats it , the strip that runs across the back of the bonnet nearest to the windscreen wipers.
    Does it require an adhesive to stick it back down later?

Quote Originally Posted by son of eevil View Post
    Does it require an adhesive to stick it back down later?
    Nope, its all held in by these plastic tabs which stretch over. literally a 20 second job to remove and reinstall.

19. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rayd View Post
    Nope, its all held in by these plastic tabs which stretch over. literally a 20 second job to remove and reinstall.
    Cheers I'll probably do this.

Definately the answer is to vent the bonnet as per many replies , air flow across bonnet will create a low pressure area towards rear of bonnet and hot air should be sucked out as per previous replies.
    Have been wanting to do this venting or louvers for ages .
    (1) removal of rear seal + adding washer to underside of bonnet hinges will assist, (looks?????are negative) . benefits ( no water ingress ) whilst travelling .
    (2) dont cut holes to bonnet , best way though expensive is to have bonnet press louvered by sheet metal shop and repaint bonnet . ( louvers /vents face backwards and are raised ,rain will be forced upwards and air speed will drag water towards windscreen.
    My thoughts have been to roll /press vents to either side of bonnet raised area as far back as possible .
    Just havent had time or guts to operate on the bonnet .
    Last edited by Oldhead; 05-12-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    Way to many mods, way too much money spent,way way too much time spent = the wifes no 1 Enemy.
    But i,m Smiling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast