User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am i gonna blow it up?

1. Default Am i gonna blow it up?

Hi all, new to OzMps

Recently bought my first mazda.
    05 Mazda 6 MPS

Firstly, i love the car. Dream to drive, comfortable and thoroughly enjoyable and i can't wait to start with a few mods. Currently standard.

My question is this, my last car was a 96 manual R33 Gtst
    Which i could consistently limiter bash whenever i felt the need. Rb25 is such a strong motor.

Will my standard mazda 6mps take such punishment or should i try contain myself?
    Its got 142xxx and has been very well looked after and has a full service history from a mazda dealership.

Cheers

Don't limiter bash, just no point. These engines are pretty strong but don't make power near the limiter because of the factory turbo size. It's a very midrange oriented engine.

As Dan said anything over 5500rpm is a waste as turbo dies in the but around this rpm

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    Don't limiter bash, just no point. These engines are pretty strong but don't make power near the limiter because of the factory turbo size. It's a very midrange oriented engine.
    Yehh i kinda figured that out, definitely not has good high up. But just wanted to make sure it wasn't gonna do 2much damage if i happened to redline it.
    Its definitely a fun car to drive tho.

Are there ever any cruises happening in melb, or OzMPS stickers or merch?

How the hell do you accidentally redline a car?
    Did you get your licence from the bottom of a cereal box?

Quote Originally Posted by sev View Post
    Accidentally mis-shift and hit limiter. Done that once, sounded nasty...

Unless you get the car tuned then 5500-5800RPM is as far as you want to rev it. Even a tuned car will only rev nicely to 6000RPM but you still notice the power drop off as if to say "next gear dickhead".

Want to limiter bash(?): get a COBB AP and set launch control and spin all four wheels off the launch. It is as close to a limiter as you will need in these cars.
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 30-11-2013 at 02:39 PM.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

7. Default

Haha isn't that where you get them.
    I meant miss shifts, or just the occasional thrashing. In the skyline i could redline 1st, 2nd and 3rd day in day out.

New car, new engine, new gearbox. Just want to ask the people who know about these cars whether or not its a definite No or as you've all now pointed out. Pretty pointless in this car anyway.

Wouldn't think rev limit do anything to the engine because that's what the limiter is for, which is to protect the engine

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

My car pulls nicely all the way to redline,
    the joys of going BT

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    the joys of going BT
    Don't be so smug
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    the joys of going BT
    inb4 rebuild

Once you get into tuning, the joys of rushing to redline will increase, but as all have said, doesn't seem much point. Certainly on the track, redline you loose time. But it does sound good.

Welcome aboard by the way. Share some pics of you're new machine at some stage.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

13. Default

That's very rude.

Have to agree with @son of eevil. Try and keep the posts on topic, and limit the attitude a bit thanks.
    MPS is gone. Ghey Trail enabled....Not Happy. MPS 6 to come

Damn, I was coming back to this thread to give home a piece of my mind... Good work guys.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Sorry jase, I was under the impression you were trolling.
    As said by others, you won't kill your motor, but you will neither gain anything in terms of acceleration/lap times/reduced lag etc, nor be doing your motor any favours.
    I would recommend a dyno session, or having a peak at others to physically see how once you are past a certain rpm, the turbo has nothing more to give, thus it's very much time to change gear.
    Apologies to those who were hacked off due to the previous comment

Apart from sand in your oil, one of the fastest ways to wear out engines is to make a habit of running unnecessarily high piston speeds. A stock MPS pulls like a train to 5000 rpm, and more-so with simple breathing mods like mine, and it is redlined at 6500. Unless you want to tweak it to pull even harder, in which case you should be attending to other issues as well, like balancing and maybe stronger internals depending on how much tweaking you are planning, then the 1500rpm margin of safety is a good one to have and seems impossible to exceed accidentally. I'd view the configuration as an asset and not a limitation. I drive with enthusiasm but rarely see even 4500 rpm, considering this nanny state we inhabit.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

Quote Originally Posted by JaseMPS6 View Post
    Hi all, new to OzMps

Recently bought my first mazda.
    05 Mazda 6 MPS

Firstly, i love the car. Dream to drive, comfortable and thoroughly enjoyable and i can't wait to start with a few mods. Currently standard.

My question is this, my last car was a 96 manual R33 Gtst
    Which i could consistently limiter bash whenever i felt the need. Rb25 is such a strong motor.

Will my standard mazda 6mps take such punishment or should i try contain myself?
    Its got 142xxx and has been very well looked after and has a full service history from a mazda dealership.

Cheers
    Make sure you gear jam like a truckie as well, they love it!
    Every man should have a V8 ute.....with a Chev badge.....and a Southern Cross sticker! Mods? What mods?

Keep your shifting between 5 and 6 k when you are having fun - no more because you strain your engine for no real benefit. These cars were really made to stick around in 3rd / 4th when having fun - try not to drop into 2nd when hammering around.

Also, the mps6 is more about spirited hill driving then straight line speed

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk

Also I meant 4.5k to 5.5k - not 5-6k. In any case, I find my car works best between 3k and 4.5k anyway

Sent from my 920 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast