User Tag List

Thread: One bucket carwash

Default One bucket carwash

Not really anything "detail" major, but i thought i'd give it a share/review.

So if you live somewhere where there is a lack of water, this is for you! I myself live on tank water, and having a black car, it only ever really gets washed when NEEDED, so its often left dirty since i think car washes are the devil in brush form.

I was at super cheap auto today replenishing my carwash when i saw this.

They had a deal going, you buy it for $14.99, you get a free bucket and a micro fibre cloth. And as it says, it dares us to try it. So i thought why not! Got my free bucket and micro fibre cloth.

I was a little skeptical and i don't suggest using it for anything muddy or extreme dirt. Anyways, before pictures. As you can see my car isn't dirty, just grimy from driving after rain...Dirty enough for my friends to draw inappropriate pictures.

How it works, according to the destructions. Poor liquid in bucket, fill bucket with water. Wash one panel at a time with micro fibre cloth or sponge. Place sponge in bucket and dry panel. So i did just that. Still skeptical that the dirt would just stay on my cloth. To my amazement, this sh1t works! No more dirt, bugs came off and it dries absolutely fine. No hose was needed and my cloth after finished is relatively clean!

After shots:

Cloth afterwards. This was my new one. Its still very clean for something that just scrubbed grime off a car!

My only beef is that once again, doesn't work real well on the heavy stuff. Like the wheel arches. It just dirtied up my clean micro fibre cloth. I didn't want to swirl it around on the car. So i left it. But for anything else, fine and dandy!

Nice write up, I've been using Optimum No Rinse Wash and Wax for a while, works great! Also smells pretty awesome too just quietly. (definately not $15 bucks though... that's the downside...)

If i was gonan use any waterless wash it would be Optimum, they have been working on it for years.

4. Default

One bucket washing bothers me...

there are some pro detailers that use the Optimum one and now swear by it..i'm paranoid and still go the hose

Default One bucket carwash

I wouldn't recommend doing it for major jobs like I said. It did a brilliant job for a bit of grime.

I'll probably alternate between the hose and this wash. I highly doubt I'll ever buy it again, but it's worth the $14 with a free bucket and cloth! Haha

Sent from far far away

since my car has been opticoated I have only washed my car with Optimum No Rinse.
    mind you... the car usually gets washed 1-2 times weekly... lol

works great

for the road grime or heavy dirt from rain, I Use Meguires hyperwash in a foam lance thingo. Then followed by the No Rinse wash like normal.

personally this is no different to just using a mitt + water to clean the car. So, if its me, i would use 2 half bucket of water (one for washing out dirty stuff from the mitt and one to wet the mitt again to clean), which is effectively still a 2 bucket method and still use as little water as that waterless clean

The issue with waterless and rinseless washing (this one is rinseless by the way), is always going to be what you use to contact with the panels and how much dirt/grime has to be removed.

Ideally, when attempting a wash like this you want a collection of good quality microfibre cloths, folded into quarters, so that no one side of the cloth sees contact with the car twice. No matter how clean your microfibre cloth looks coming off the panel there will always be dirt and grit caught in the fibres. This is the advantage of microfibre. It's like a magnet. It picks up a lot. At the same time though, it is an excellent mechanism to transfer grit back onto the panel if you're not careful.

The problem too with using a single bucket is that you're contaminating the wash solution with dirt and grit coming off the microfibre when you rinse it. The dirt and grit swirls around the bucket and re-attaches itself to the cloth the next time you dunk it into the bucket.

If waterless or rinseless wash is your only option, I highly recommend checking out the Garry Dean Method. It is the best way of ensuring there is minimum marring done to the car's paintwork.

See the following video. He better explains some of the things I've mentioned here.

Just a note on this, you don't need to use his Infinite Detailing Juice to use this method. Any waterless/rinseless wash product will work. I personally like Optimum as is has a very high level of lubricity, which is exactly the sort of thing you want for this sort of washing.

Caff Mobile Mk1 - 2010 Aluminum Gen II | 2XS SRI | H&R Lowered Springs | cpe 75 Duro Engine Mount | Whiteline Rear Swaybar | Moog "Problem Solver" Rear Endlinks | 3M Carbon Black Tint | Lakin Custom Plates | Opti-Coat Paint Protection | Paint Correction by Me - SOLD

Caff Mobile Mk2 - 2008 BMW Z4M Coupe - Sapphire Black Metallic | Stock....for now

Quote Originally Posted by lovecolt View Post
    personally this is no different to just using a mitt + water to clean the car. So, if its me, i would use 2 half bucket of water (one for washing out dirty stuff from the mitt and one to wet the mitt again to clean), which is effectively still a 2 bucket method and still use as little water as that waterless clean
    Theres no initial hose down and rinse off which wastes the water. Its just one bucket of water. Its no different to any washing system technically. Apparently, which is where I'm skeptical, is that all the dirt ends up in your bucket and this is what separates this from normal carwash, as our caffeine fiend explains.

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Fiend View Post
    The issue with waterless and rinseless washing (this one is rinseless by the way), is always going to be what you use to contact with the panels and how much dirt/grime has to be removed.

Ideally, when attempting a wash like this you want a collection of good quality microfibre cloths, folded into quarters, so that no one side of the cloth sees contact with the car twice. No matter how clean your microfibre cloth looks coming off the panel there will always be dirt and grit caught in the fibres. This is the advantage of microfibre. It's like a magnet. It picks up a lot. At the same time though, it is an excellent mechanism to transfer grit back onto the panel if you're not careful.

The problem too with using a single bucket is that you're contaminating the wash solution with dirt and grit coming off the microfibre when you rinse it. The dirt and grit swirls around the bucket and re-attaches itself to the cloth the next time you dunk it into the bucket.

If waterless or rinseless wash is your only option, I highly recommend checking out the Garry Dean Method. It is the best way of ensuring there is minimum marring done to the car's paintwork.

See the following video. He better explains some of the things I've mentioned here.

Just a note on this, you don't need to use his Infinite Detailing Juice to use this method. Any waterless/rinseless wash product will work. I personally like Optimum as is has a very high level of lubricity, which is exactly the sort of thing you want for this sort of washing.

Thanks for the share, interesting watch!

I dont like using a single bucket regardless of rinseless or not... I always use two bucks when I'm doing a rinseless wash; both with a mix of the rinseless wash - one bucket as a main, one to rinse the wash mitt. Typically I use 3-4 mitts and the same number of MF cloths. I also have spray bottle mixed up with a strong mix of the rinseless solution for spot cleaning, it also makes a nice clay bar lube too.

I'm actually planning a write up/review of the rinseless wash and wax, it's a very unique product and works very well... it's just not a cure-all wash solution and it's definately not a product that everyone will like to use.