User Tag List

Thread: clutch issues

Default clutch issues

Hi people, I will start with its the mrs shopping cart and occasional quick milk runs for me Well it slipped in 4th for her last Friday. I arrived home 2 hrs later and thougth my triton had shagged the clutch when I got out of my car, anyway took it for a squirt loaded her up in 4th@2200rpm to 5500 a few times it didn't slip for me or which I cant make it slip but when I got back yes I smelt a little organic smell but not as bad. Can I note I am a mechanic and r+r clutches all the time but the dmf's are the most unpredictable. The question's I have are 1: has anyone scuffed up their dmf and fitted a higher clamping force clutch kit with success? 2:solid flywheel conversion will the mrs still be able to drive it easy?? any recommendations?? 3: any overseas suppliers that can ship for a reasonable price??. Yes I have read all posts relating to clutches over the last 2 days but can't find anything current . Any positive comments will be greatly appreciated. Cheers
    MPS=MP3..... Like a PS3 only with a bigger controller

Findanza flywheel and spec3+ on its way and a thermal gasket just for kicks

Good news!
    Can't wait for the feesback

Same ,let us know how it goes , was the stage 3 recommended by edge?
    i was thinking about stage 2 myself

@ Chef I picked the 3+ due to solid disc and lots of spring dampeners but Eric recommended to stick with the spec flywheel, fair enough I just want it yesterday the bus is just wasting away in the garage until clutch arrives.

Let us know how you go and give us a review,hopefully you won't need MR Universe legs to use,
    strange they recomend stage3 plus as I'm running a BT and the Spec dealer in Canberra said to me stage 2 plus was more than enough.
    If you don't mind me asking how much did edge charge you for the stage 3 and flywheel I was quoted for stage2 plus and flywheel landed AUD $1700 from my dealer.
    Last edited by chef; 03-12-2013 at 07:16 AM.

@ Chef. Well mate $1600 with a thermal inlet gasket and a HKS filter landed but don't know about duty?? On a side note it was ordered on the 20th nov and my last response today was "we are waiting for the clutch and filter to arrive"?? not happy no response to estimated arrival time either. I have asked for a refund and I will source it local but with more $$$ envolved (I can get all genuine for $1750) which held up for 85K. Not to shit can a company on line at all but it is a clutch and usually you don't buy a kit just to have as a spare do you???MPS is in the garage wasting away but being started and run every second day until thermo cuts in.

I just received my solid flywheel and spec 2+ clutch kit today.

Hopefully get a chance to fit over the christmas break at some stage.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	188 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	15550

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	193 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	15551

Quote Originally Posted by strykr View Post
    I just received my solid flywheel and spec 2+ clutch kit today.

Hopefully get a chance to fit over the christmas break at some stage.

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	188 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	15550

Name:	image2.jpeg 
Views:	193 
Size:	134.0 KB 
ID:	15551
    Let us know how she goes , did u get from edge?
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Let us know how she goes , did u get from edge?
    mps garage

Put the fidanza flywheel and spec 2+ clutch in today, so far it's quite smooth/driveable, only thing I don't like is it has a bit of chatter noise at idle

Good to hear it works I went OEM in the end no chadder/vibes etc, did your clutch have a balance mark?

no there was no balance mark that I noticed. apparently the noise should reduce considerably after breakin (500miles/800km) according to Spec

The balance mark is only a white marker line crossing the p/p onto the flywheel and it does rub off. As for the break in period sorry @strykr but hahahaha I laughed when I read that piece of paper they called fitting instructions about the first 500miles. How many sets of lights between your home and work? 50 or 1. Not having a dig at you at all mate but it is hard to maintain a combination of easy take offs correct? and as a mechanic I get cars in at work with heavy chadder or shudder it is a p/p problem no question. By all means I hope it does settle down but at 500m = 800klm that equals a used item. I don't mean to offend you at all just my opinion.

No the noise hasn't settled down after 1000km. I failed to mention that i did put a second hand gearbox in at the same time, which could be the issue. It does also have a grinding noise under load, so I am leaning towards faulty gearbox. Mazda MPS Gearbox Noise - YouTube

Last edited by strykr; 21-01-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Not good news mate. Did you put a new pilot bearing in? A solid mass flywheel will transfer some vibes through the body but not grinding. I used VMX80 and I tried few grades from work before I was happy and it stopped baulking when cold. Besides locking out of gears sometimes these boxes to my knowledge are bulletproof. OH shit just listened to the clip ouch g/box is dog poo layshaft bearings??) Drop the oil again and check the magnet on the drain plug for filings . Also that box has been split previously because it should have grey flange sealer not orange (anyone pipe in if I am wrong) the noise sounds similar to a DMF failure. I had the remove and refit down to 3hrs after the third time. SP23 6 speeds are the same and may sell cheaper as it doesn't have the turbo tag hooked to it. I seen some on fleabay $800ish low kays. Well my OEM kit is grippy as shit 3rd gear lane changes. I feel your pain@Strykr

No i didn't change the pilot bearing as it felt good with no play. Although I will definately replace it when i have this gearbox out just in case. Having trouble getting Mazda to get back to me on the availability and price atm.

I bought the gearbox from Formaz, they were awesome about the issue. I sent them the clip of the noise and they sent me another gearbox overnight at no cost to swap over. So i now have another gearbox ready to swap over, we are starting to get good at the gearbox out/in now too

I have heard people have been using VMX80, i used that in my turbo laser with no dramas. Might try it in the MPS, i have been using Penrite Progear 75W-90 with Morleys added.

Good news result for me. JP @Edgeautosport after some relay e-mails happily refunded the full amount of the spec clutch and is going to keep me posted on the tests once they receive it. Needless to say top service/communication @Edge AA++. Thank you.