User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cobb Stage 2 with Test Pipe only

Default Cobb Stage 2 with Test Pipe only

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has done this and how it compares to stage 1. I am running cobb stage 1 + Corksport intake + TIP, and was thinking about upgrading fuel pump internals but don't want to go all out with the DP labour/cost. I was thinking I could get an Etune as that would be the end of my power mods. Anyone know what power levels I could expect with the stage 2 test pipe only package? Also, is does cobb even recommend this or is a downpipe the absolute minimum for stage 2?

Hi CHMPS.

I've got the CorkSport stage 2 intake with a CorkSport catless racepipe, Autotech internals with the S-OTS stage 2 95 map (intended for JBR intakes, but works just fine with the CorkSport one, same MAF size and load based rather than boost based, way better than the Cobb maps IMO). Boost varies depending on ambient temps but the bum dyno reckons it works well. Don't do stage 2 unless you do pump internals first.

Stage 2 Minimum: Upgraded Fuel Pump & Race Pipe (You need to remove 1 of 2 stock cats). You don't need a Downpipe to run STAGE2, you can just run a cat-less mid-pipe.

Also you would be crazy to spend money on an E-Tune and not install Fuel Pump Internals. For only ~$370 (AUTOTECH) you have the piece of mind that you will have constant and strong fuel pressure and not go ZOOM ZOOM BOOM.

4. Default

I'm running stage 2 with a test pipe and HPFP internals. I Dont have a DP. Runs good. Mind you I had to increase the WGDC in ATR to hit boost targets.

With internals you can run more boost (to a point) safely. Thats why stage 1 maps limit boost to 16.5psi

The fact is that STAGE2 without a downpipe might just hit targets. They are designed to work with the extra flow the aftermarket DP offers.

Here are the free Stratified OTS maps I've been using: Stratified MazdaSpeed / Mazda MPS Off The Shelf (S-OTS) Maps [Stratified Mazda S-OTS Maps] - It's Free! : Stratified Automotive Controls

They say they're optimized for JBR Power Path intakes but they work fine with the CorkSport ones as well (LTFTs and AFRs were good for me). These maps are so much better than the Cobb ones with their wacky throttle/WGDC tables.

That's cool I might give it a go with the stock intake. Might throw the LTFT's out a bit (slight MAF difference and obvious flow difference)

EDIT: in a MSF thread: JBR maps are not calibrated to work with the OEM Intake. Meh, will hit up Ray after the DP goes in
    Last edited by DAN MPS 3; 18-11-2013 at 03:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    That's cool I might give it a go with the stock intake. Might throw the LTFT's out a bit (slight MAF difference and obvious flow difference)

EDIT: in a MSF thread: JBR maps are not calibrated to work with the OEM Intake. Meh, will hit up Ray after the DP goes in
    i think @Lex did a few different maps, he did a JBR one to suit the wide path which has a larger MAF housing, i'm sure he also did ones to suit stock sized MAFs which corksport and cobb use for a Gen 2
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    i think @Lex did a few different maps, he did a JBR one to suit the wide path which has a larger MAF housing, i'm sure he also did ones to suit stock sized MAFs which corksport and cobb use for a Gen 2
    Likely, but OTS maps are too safe for my liking. If my turbo can't taste 20PSI at some point it won't eventually smoke, and then if it smokes Daniel gets an excuse to get a new (bigger) turbo.
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by DAN MPS 3 View Post
    Likely, but OTS maps are too safe for my liking. If my turbo can't taste 20PSI at some point it won't eventually smoke, and then if it smokes Daniel gets an excuse to get a new (bigger) turbo.
    HaHa, i had my KO4 running 21-22 psi for a year with just a test pipe and intake with a tune and beat the shit out of it and never gave a hint of smoke.
    MPS Gen 2 2012 - i think i have Ebola

Quote Originally Posted by shaneski View Post
    HaHa, i had my KO4 running 21-22 psi for a year with just a test pipe and intake with a tune and beat the shit out of it and never gave a hint of smoke.
    So they are strong when they want to be your 210KW is pretty healthy amount for a K04. On straight pump? Meth? E85?
    SG9 XT: VF34 P20, Tomei headers, STI intercooler HSD coilovers, Brembos and much more...

12. Default

On 98 BP mine is 2012 model seems like they beefed up the seals from 2012 on, @Rayd has tuned one to 240kw i think with no meth just 98

WHAT?! That's crazy high numbers. I guess they had to beef them up or be prepared to keep replacing them.

235KW does seem a little high for just pump. I found the graph on his website:

Mazda 3 MPS Gen 2
    3.5" Full Intake - DP - HPFP - 98 RON - 235 kW / 481nM
    https://c919f6a6-a-e2fb6d08-s-sites....attredirects=0

14. Default

On the mazdaspeed forums there are quite a few pushing around the same power on pump fuel with the 2012/2013 models.

That particular MPS had a great flowing setup, the owner wanted to find peak value before knock limit and that was it. I ended up dialling it down to about 220ish-kw for all year round safety

Quote Originally Posted by Rayd View Post
    That particular MPS had a great flowing setup, the owner wanted to find peak value before knock limit and that was it. I ended up dialling it down to about 220ish-kw for all year round safety
    What were his mods when he was at 195kw?
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

3.5" intake and DP will open it up nicely might be the incentive I need to install my HTP instead of running the stock box

Cheers for chiming in Ray (P.S New wheels look great.)

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Likely an older revision or the OTS map.

Quote Originally Posted by chef View Post
    Same mods just OTS stage 2

Much of a difference to what I'm running now then? Seems like a few people must have progressed down the path I am at the moment.

What does everyone think of the corksport hpfp internals set to be released next year? I'm sure the autotech ones are completely adequate and possibly not worth the wait for the corksport ones?

Quote Originally Posted by CHMPS View Post
    Much of a difference to what I'm running now then? Seems like a few people must have progressed down the path I am at the moment.

What does everyone think of the corksport hpfp internals set to be released next year? I'm sure the autotech ones are completely adequate and possibly not worth the wait for the corksport ones?
    According the CS webpage they do read well, but still waiting to hear from ppl who will be using them about their impressions. The Auotech internals have been working very well for everyone that has been using them, i think i can only remember one person who have had an issue.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast