User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on mods and paid install vs DIY

Default Advice on mods and paid install vs DIY

Hi all,

Long story short, I bought some car parts from Edge (cp-e dp, autotech fuel pump internals, jbr trilogy) and got quoted $695 for install of the dp and $595 for a subsequent update of my current ecutek tune (S&J Auto for those in SA). Not wanting to spend more on install than I did for the parts I am now thinking of trying to install the dp myself (saving $695 less any new parts I need for the job) and buying an AP instead of having the tune updated (much of a muchness in cost, but with the benefit of owning something that can be used when future mods are added).

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this? Also

- for those in SA, where have you had your dp installed apart from S&J Automotive and what was the cost?
    - for those who have installed the dp yourself on a 6 mps, what advice/tips/tools would you recommend?

I'm pretty sure I have seen a how-to on msf for the dp that I could use and looked reasonably straightforward, but keen to hear from others who have actually done it.

I know overriding the existing ecutek tune would be a waste of the money spent on the initial licence and tune but I am happy to write that off as I don't want to have every power mod on the car need an extra $595 each time just to make the most of it.

Cheers
    AP V3 (Rayd tuned) / CP-E CAI / CP-E TIP / JBR Trilogy / CS Front Strut Brace / JBR SSP / JBR Shift Knob / JBR shifter bushings / Eibach Pro-Kit / Bilstein B8's / SURE Juggernaught / SURE Dreadnaught / Whiteline RSB / Toyo Proxes T1R 235/40/18 / Evo X BBS rims / Turbosmart Dual Port BOV / CP-E DP / CP-E TMIC / Autotech internals / Superpro bushings

Future mods:
    BT, DM OCC, EGR delete, Braided clutch/brake lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, DBA T3 rotors....

2. Default

Personally, I'm a big advocate for doing work where you can, just be careful not to bite off more then you can chew. I did it once with a clutch swap ended up getting it towed to my local mechanic (Couldn't get the box back on, apparently I forgot to remove the starter motor which stopped the splines lining up... so stupid)

As far as the Cobb AP route goes, I support that, it sounds like a good idea between a 2nd hand Bobb AP and an etune you'll have spent roughly the same amount as a retune from S&J. It sounds like the sensible route to me.

Current mods:
    CorkSport SRI, TIP & Airbox
    Cobb Access Port

They charge that much because they don't want to do it.. It's a bitch.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I would get the AP but get the Mechanic to DP as it's a biach to do.

@Baz is your go to man here! He used S&J too.

I have recently purchased a DP, AP, Autotech internals and a TMIC.

For mine, I'm looking at having the DP and internals done "professionally" with S&J on the top of my list since they've got experience doing the upgraded internals on an MPS. MPS experience in SA seems pretty limited among performance shops.
    The DP could probably be done by any exhaust shop, I'd expect.. I was apprehensive about doing it myself since I don't have a lift. Spending that much time on my back under a car seems ridiculous.

I did my cs dp on my 6 and to be honest I would of paid someone to do it if I had the chance again... agreed with everyone its a biatch

sent from my prison cell

The price quoted for the dump pipe install is quite good especially for a M6

haha, not sure i'm the go to guy here, I've had most of my stuff done at S&J, i think i even paid more to have my DP installed by them, apparently it's a massive bitch to do and i didn't think i had the tools to do it anyway so i was happy to get them to do it, tuning cost is a bit of a bitch, i'm considering going the AP route too later on, but we'll see what happens i guess. At least with S&J you know they'll do a good job, they're pretty much the only guys in SA who have a fair bit of experience with the MPS' and Sean's a great guy to deal with, but if you have mechanic friends who reckon they can help you do it yourself and save the money, then go for the DIY route, just be prepared to spend a while under the car, haha, i think they took about 4 hours to get the DP installed on my car and they had lifts and two people working on it, lol
    If you can't fist it, it's not big enough!

Oh by the way when I did mine I went to my mates house coz he had a hoist....

sent from my prison cell

Thanks for all the input guys, much appreciated. Sounds like my best bet may be to split the difference, get the dp installed professionally and invest in an AP for the tune part! Could be good timing actually, pretty sure black friday sales are just around the corner....

I paid $350 for my DP install and my mechanic smiled, but then again he was regarded as a brilliant mechanic in Perth before the company shut down and he moved on to other things. My current mechanic done a turbo install for $650. Hard to say if you've been slightly over-quoted and a bit rich for me to actually comment as I haven't done it myself. Fair bit of chunky exhaust parts to be removed though. If you don't have a hoist I'd say it's a real pain.

Yeah, I'd say look at getting a cobb cause you have more control over your tune and you can alter it yourself or get revisions done for cheaper if you're looking to continue modifications.

Not sure if this helps but my turbo-back exhaust was $2500 fully supplied and installed (CP-E DP and custom cat-back). If you're cheaper than that be happy!

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

If you have a mechanic friend that can install the dp, you have to ask yourself...is the friendship worth it? Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
    If you have a mechanic friend that can install the dp, you have to ask yourself...is the friendship worth it? Lol

I planned ahead last time a mate helped me out. Basically you need x20 to do the DP with a mate

With great power comes great fuel consumption...
    M P S
    - 6 - RR | Cobb AP | CAI | TIP | ATP GTX28R | 3.25" TMIC | SS DP | REM | 3" Zorst | SSP Anchors & Countershift | DBA Rotors | K/Springs | Upper & Lower Bracing | Alpine Type S 12" sub MRP-M500 Amp
    | Grille | STi Lip | Shark Fin | 6000K HID | Fog Light Tint | Twin DEFI gauges | Custom Decals & Badges | LED lighting | CF Mirrors & Pillars | Black rims Red callipers

so.. the drunker you get, the easier it is to install a dp?

Well, there's less pain the more drunk you get :P

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

I agree with most of whats been said but to sum up, if you're not comfortable using a spanner then don't attempt the downpipe install yourself.

Although it's certainly do-able without a hoist. (on a 3 anyway!)
    Last edited by st3ve; 14-11-2013 at 09:17 PM.

Funny you should mention this, got a quote for a custom catback recently and asked how much more for the DP to be installed, got quoted $150-$200 on top which seems a bit on the low side. I'm happy to pay as little as possible but from what I have read the job will take a lot longer than 1-2 hours if done properly. Wonder if I could get them to commit to a fixed price beforehand lol.

Also asked if the local Mazda dealer would install the DP and fuel pump internals, was very surprised when they said they could, charge would be $110 per hour for labour, reckons 3 hours for the DP and 1.5 hours for the internals - can anyone advise if these times seem realistic? The other thing I found comforting with the dealer response is they did mention that the cost could change if there are seized turbo bolts or seized oxygen sensor, so sounded like they actually had a clue about the install (having read that this can happen to the o2 sensor).

Would anyone else be against going with a dealer to do an install? Or would most people choose an exhaust shop or tuning shop for this type of install?
    I figure even if the time to install the DP doubles I am ahead of the S&J quote, but the question is how careful the dealer would be with the install (and in particular removing the o2 sensor, not keen on an unexpected $600 bill for a replacement).

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by rogwick View Post
    I paid $350 for my DP install and my mechanic smiled, but then again he was regarded as a brilliant mechanic in Perth before the company shut down and he moved on to other things. My current mechanic done a turbo install for $650. Hard to say if you've been slightly over-quoted and a bit rich for me to actually comment as I haven't done it myself. Fair bit of chunky exhaust parts to be removed though. If you don't have a hoist I'd say it's a real pain.

Yeah, I'd say look at getting a cobb cause you have more control over your tune and you can alter it yourself or get revisions done for cheaper if you're looking to continue modifications.

Not sure if this helps but my turbo-back exhaust was $2500 fully supplied and installed (CP-E DP and custom cat-back). If you're cheaper than that be happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Fully6mps View Post
    Funny you should mention this, got a quote for a custom catback recently and asked how much more for the DP to be installed, got quoted $150-$200 on top which seems a bit on the low side. I'm happy to pay as little as possible but from what I have read the job will take a lot longer than 1-2 hours if done properly. Wonder if I could get them to commit to a fixed price beforehand lol.

Also asked if the local Mazda dealer would install the DP and fuel pump internals, was very surprised when they said they could, charge would be $110 per hour for labour, reckons 3 hours for the DP and 1.5 hours for the internals - can anyone advise if these times seem realistic? The other thing I found comforting with the dealer response is they did mention that the cost could change if there are seized turbo bolts or seized oxygen sensor, so sounded like they actually had a clue about the install (having read that this can happen to the o2 sensor).

Would anyone else be against going with a dealer to do an install? Or would most people choose an exhaust shop or tuning shop for this type of install?
    I figure even if the time to install the DP doubles I am ahead of the S&J quote, but the question is how careful the dealer would be with the install (and in particular removing the o2 sensor, not keen on an unexpected $600 bill for a replacement).

Cheers
    Which Mazda dealer was that?

Quote Originally Posted by zacman View Post
    Which Mazda dealer was that?
    Reynella Mazda which is very conveniently around the corner from my house! I think someone on the forum used to work there in the parts area actually, cant remember the name though.
    AP V3 (Rayd tuned) / CP-E CAI / CP-E TIP / JBR Trilogy / CS Front Strut Brace / JBR SSP / JBR Shift Knob / JBR shifter bushings / Eibach Pro-Kit / Bilstein B8's / SURE Juggernaught / SURE Dreadnaught / Whiteline RSB / Toyo Proxes T1R 235/40/18 / Evo X BBS rims / Turbosmart Dual Port BOV / CP-E DP / CP-E TMIC / Autotech internals / Superpro bushings

Future mods:
    BT, DM OCC, EGR delete, Braided clutch/brake lines, Hawk HPS 5.0 pads, DBA T3 rotors....

Quote Originally Posted by Fully6mps View Post
    Reynella Mazda which is very conveniently around the corner from my house! I think someone on the forum used to work there in the parts area actually, cant remember the name though.
    No problems. My MPS came from there originally and then when I bought it too. They did seem pretty knowledgeable. Shame they're 45 mins from home!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast