User Tag List

Thread: hay guys looking at a 6 mps

1. Default hay guys looking at a 6 mps

hay guys fresh to the mps scene just starting to do some research on a 6 mps like common problems to look for. going to be buying real soon as my 323 sp20 just isn't cutting it anymore I need a bigger car and more power =] some of you may know me im SP-20-DB on astina gt... so any advice for me while im looking, I heard the diff bolts can be a problem

They're pretty good really, just look for the obvious stuff..

Mounts are just a good excuse to replace them with something a little harder, check vvt and timing chain tension, do a cold start and check for a puff of smoke, then bounce it right up to 3000rpm and watch for harsh vibration.

Give it a good boot on test drive and get some to follow to check smoke colour from turbo ( should be dark sooty, not grey/white ), leave it idle for 10mins and watch for smoke.

RACV check or equivalent always recommended.

Mine is an '07 fully stock, and it's been well looked after and is solid, no issues so far with 78K on the clock. My mates '05 has around 110k and his is OK too, other than a head on meeting with a 'roo just recently.

Like any turbo, look after it and it'll reward you with a smile on your face when your right foot meets the firewall.

Speak to @Jmac and @Fats - hers may still be for sale (in vic) due to a couple of new family additions and requiring something bigger again.

Let us know how you go.
    Stock Standard MPS 6 | Opticoat Paint Protection By Caffeine Fiend | Custom GPS, Bluetooth and Digital music integration by Me | Rattles by Mazda

Dane?

Hi! Lol. Hope you find a nice one :-)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

5. Default

Tina has covered just about everything, you also want to check the transfer case for leaks, the rear diff for broken diff mounts and listen for rear diff whine.

Great cars and a tune really wakes them up!

Ahh yes forgot about the transfer case.. you will want to get your mechanic to have a close look at that for weeping around its seals.. if there's any sign of a leak you'll need to strip it down and replace the oil and make sure you seal it up properly again. I'm no expert but I've heard that it's quite a task.

PS: @son of eevil Who the hell is Tina? lol

7. Default

Cheers guys really will help when looking and I looked at that red one but after my current car I swore Id never do red again. Bad experiences. Would ve great if I could find a decent white one. First mod will be a front mount as I personally dont like the top mount without a bonnet scoop.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tims View Post
    Ahh yes forgot about the transfer case.. you will want to get your mechanic to have a close look at that for weeping around its seals.. if there's any sign of a leak you'll need to strip it down and replace the oil and make sure you seal it up properly again. I'm no expert but I've heard that it's quite a task.

PS: @son of eevil Who the hell is Tina? lol
    Tina was my phone autocorrecting tims...

Current mods:
    CorkSport SRI, TIP & Airbox
    Cobb Access Port

Buy a 2007 model MPS6 if you can as I think Mazda had ironed out a few of the bugs by then, more so than the 2005/ 06 models anyway.

I've read somewhere that its way more uncommon for the '07 MPS6's to have the VVT issue which is a costly fix through a Mazda dealer.
    Last edited by Fletch; 11-11-2013 at 05:03 PM. Reason: typo