2 22.22%
  • December 22nd

4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [EOI] WA Xmas Cruise/Lunch

Default [EOI] WA Xmas Cruise/Lunch

Hi WA people,

An idea that came up last night was to jump on the end of year cruise bandwagon, so @boostedmazda and I wanted to put up a EOI to canvas interest for a day out.

At this point it's open to suggestions for where and when, but we're thinking soemthing along the lines of a day trip out some were, lunch at a pub then head for home. (Being a QLD ex-pat, I'm pretty clueless as far as destinations go, so totally open to suggestions/help :P)

The plan is to go from the Midvale Speed Dome > Toodyay > York > Freo for some fish and chips, photos etc.
    @Fizzy has come up with a sweet route in google maps - http://goo.gl/maps/PNxgx

Edit: A Poll is attached above for the Sundays ranging from 1st, 8th, 15th & 22nd. The poll is multi choice so you can put down what date (or dates) suits you.
    Edit 2: added route map.

Also - Cut off for confirming the date will be 28th of November - so this Thursday.

People Interested:
    @spooon
    @boostedmazda
    @Fizzy
    @leisk
    @Fletch
    @rogwick
    @bodyboardingbum
    @Chuckie Cheese

Cheers - spooon
    Last edited by spooon; 27-11-2013 at 12:36 PM.

Count me as keen, Probably not the 7th as I am planning on going to a track day on the 8th and will be doing last minute prep, but can do the 14th no worries? Think it would be a great idea

However if it is stinking hot expect me to be puttering along like driving miss daisy with the AC on

Thanks @spooon I'm keen for any dates, I'll make the time. So at the moment ill say 14th as well.

im keen just not 7th, as im having an event on then. but any other date is fine

yeah I just realised that I'm out on the 7th too... so we scratch the 7th then? :P

21st Dec suits me as I'll be O/S from 5th to 18th Dec - majority rules of course so if I miss this one will def make it to first cruise for 2014.

Bumping this up for more WA eyes too see. Please speak up only 2 weeks till December starts.

The weekend of the 14th might also be out for me, I might have a faily thing on that weekend.

I'm keen for a chat-up if I'm back in the country by then and have time

Hey folks, giving this a bump. We have a few options for days here, at this stage I assume its going to be either the weekend of the 14th or the weekend of the 21st.

Going back to what was originally mentioned, while being distracted from work, found these two on the RAC site, might help as a basis? I assume if we meet somewhere fairly central (things like UWA carpark, the helipad in east perth, or something like that) early in the morning, we can get a decent amount of driving in before stopping for lunch, more driving / some photos etc etc.

If we go down south west highway it is going to be a WAY more interesting drive than down the main freeway / forrest highway path? Keeping in mind that this is a main road, so will still not be edge of the seat driving, but should get us down south nicely?

These have some roads on them, another alternative is to go the back ways through the hills to toodjay / york? decent pubs out that way.

http://rac.com.au/cs/groups/public_p...cont062849.pdf

http://rac.com.au/cs/groups/public_p...cont025280.pdf

What do ya think peeps?

EDIT:

Had a quick play with google maps (as in I put in places and can sort the exact route later if people like something like this)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=m...t=h&mra=ls&z=9

Start in the early AM, get some good drives in, few photo stops, probably more fuel, and depending how we are tracking time wise can either stop for lunch in the hills somewhere or in mandurah? This will depend on when we start etc.
    Last edited by Fizzy; 20-11-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    1993 KL-ZE 626 - Written off
    2005 MPS6 - Me Boosta, GTX2867 Freektuned

That second RAC map looks like a pretty epic road trip, the driving I've done down in Pemberton was a lot of fun, the trees make you feel small! We should plan a road trip down that way, there's some really nice pubs and breweries in Bridgetown and such

Loving the google map route though - good idea! A run up through Toodyay/Northam etc looks good. Not sure about Mandurah though, what if we make it City Beach or Cottestloe (or even Freo?) for some good afternoon sunset shots? Keeps it fairly central for everyone

That looks awesome @Fizzy , The RAC one would be better suited for a full weekend for that length IMO however still looks awesome! I like your idea of a trip through Northam to York finishing in Mundaring 210ish km's would be a nice lengthy drive finding a place to stop in Mundaring then blast through weir road. Just another modification or as @spooon suggested travelling back into the city

I will have a better look at it sometime in the next few days, look @ back roads out to these places.

Can throw it back more central, will also depend when you want to start. Being summer early morning (like 7am) is a pain for those who like sleeping, but SO much better for the drive. Can head back down towards freo or whatever though easily enough.

Good stuff Fizzy Yeah I'm keen for an early drive!!

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Good map Brenton, just one suggestion I've done a few cruises up that way and I can strongly recommend taking the following route from Toodyay to York - minimal traffic with reasonably long straight roads which are good for spirited driving and also skip on driving through Northam townsite which is a good thing.

From Toodyay townsite take Toodyay Road south and turn left onto Clackline-Toodyay Road (awesome road trust me on this), at the end we hang a left onto Spencers Brook Road which turns into Spencers Brook-York Road (really good long straights) which will take us into York townsite then continue on with your current route.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Fizzy View Post
    Hey folks, giving this a bump. We have a few options for days here, at this stage I assume its going to be either the weekend of the 14th or the weekend of the 21st.

Going back to what was originally mentioned, while being distracted from work, found these two on the RAC site, might help as a basis? I assume if we meet somewhere fairly central (things like UWA carpark, the helipad in east perth, or something like that) early in the morning, we can get a decent amount of driving in before stopping for lunch, more driving / some photos etc etc.

If we go down south west highway it is going to be a WAY more interesting drive than down the main freeway / forrest highway path? Keeping in mind that this is a main road, so will still not be edge of the seat driving, but should get us down south nicely?

These have some roads on them, another alternative is to go the back ways through the hills to toodjay / york? decent pubs out that way.

http://rac.com.au/cs/groups/public_p...cont062849.pdf

http://rac.com.au/cs/groups/public_p...cont025280.pdf

What do ya think peeps?

EDIT:

Had a quick play with google maps (as in I put in places and can sort the exact route later if people like something like this)

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=m...t=h&mra=ls&z=9

Start in the early AM, get some good drives in, few photo stops, probably more fuel, and depending how we are tracking time wise can either stop for lunch in the hills somewhere or in mandurah? This will depend on when we start etc.

Yup, totally agree, I think I know the roads you referred to, that map had all main roads, busy and pretty boring, but it is easier to tell google town names for a general gist of things

People interested in fish and chips or something like that @ freo as a stop point? Figure if we start early we can be in freo for lunch, then can either split or go get some shots around the place

Sounds good to me! We should start thinking about a date soon though... I'm gonna be keen on the Sunday the 22nd of December? or maybe even the 1st?

I'd much prefer 22nd Dec but can do the 1st if others prefer that date.

I would throw my vote for the 22nd, I have muse on the 30th, and have been told I have to go to many pubs after, might not be in a condition to drive after that

*EDIT* Though 22nd will have double demerits probably...

Not keen for a cruise on a double-demerit period... also not overly keen for SouthWest Hwy. Too many trucks, too many poorly sealed roads, and too many potholes!
    Potentially in for this, pending date of course

I'm voting Sunday. I may have to work some Saturdays in December, pending how busy work is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast