User Tag List

Thread: Corksport SRI & TIP

1. Default Corksport SRI & TIP

I just installed this unit with great expectation that it would improve performance. I've seen MPS owners extract out the OEM TIP and the restrictive piece of moulded plastic was enough to make me puke.

The Corksport unit is quite nice and the MAF housing is very light being billet. The AEM dry filter is a bonus as well.

The recirc hose attachment on my car had to be custom fabricated to fit but everything else fit reasonably well.

Impressions...

Noise - I had an Apexi SRI fitted with WRX MAF housing previously and it makes a high pitched jet suction noise and flutters on light throttle release. The AEM has an unusually pitched suction noise and quiet release of throttle. I hated the sound of the AEM and refitted the Apexi unit. It now sounds more Skylinish and flutters louder on light throttle release.

Performance - I am a bit disappointed. I think I've lost grunt. The ECU should have re-learnt this mod by now but my boost no longer spikes beyond 20psi and doesn't hold 17-18psi like before. It seems to hold 15-17 psi depending on load and spikes between 19-20psi.

There is no noticeable seat of the pants gain and judging by what my boost guage is saying, it has reverted to less boost. Power delivery pre install was more savage. Now it seems more linear which feels slower. Hopefully my ECU will continue to learn and restore my pre Corksport install psycho boost settings.

I think Nickows mentioned in a previous thread that his SRI/CAI install did nothing for performance. Same here...
    06 6MPS Radiant Ebony Luxury
    Car sold and dearly missed

I would attribute the loss of boost to the MAF housing, maybe the WRX housing was a little larger and the ECU would compensate for a lower airflow reading with more boost, this has been the case with other intakes.

Is it possible for you to take an ID measurement of the 2 housings.

Blog Entries

I think Dyno's have showed like 3kw increase- It is more for the sound then anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by t4orce View Post
    I just installed this unit with great expectation that it would improve performance. I've seen MPS owners extract out the OEM TIP and the restrictive piece of moulded plastic was enough to make me puke.

Performance - I am a bit disappointed. I think I've lost grunt. The ECU should have re-learnt this mod by now but my boost no longer spikes beyond 20psi and doesn't hold 17-18psi like before. It seems to hold 15-17 psi depending on load and spikes between 19-20psi.

There is no noticeable seat of the pants gain and judging by what my boost guage is saying, it has reverted to less boost. Power delivery pre install was more savage. Now it seems more linear which feels slower. Hopefully my ECU will continue to learn and restore my pre Corksport install psycho boost settings.

I think Nickows mentioned in a previous thread that his SRI/CAI install did nothing for performance. Same here...
    I had the Mazdaspeed CAI installed for some time before the TIP. I couldn't detect any real difference to performance for either mods, except that the turbo may start spooling slightly earlier with the TIP.

The CAI sounds cool - the turbo can clearly be heard spooling on partial throttle, and this combines with a high-pitch sucking sound the further you sink the right foot. It's very loud when you really get up it.

I may have felt more of an improvement with the TIP if I had installed it after my SU TMIC, but the TIP was installed first.

Power delivery since the new TMIC is more linear (similar result to your TIP/SRI install), but the car doesn't die at high revs like it used to. It pulls strongly all the way to redline now.
    Last edited by nickows; 01-06-2009 at 06:13 PM.

5. Default

The Apexi WRX MAF and Corksport MAF have the same internal diameter. The Apexi MAF has an air diverter supposedly to smoothen turbulence which is not present in the Corksport unit. Therefore the Corksport looks to have better flow between the two.

Nickows, your car is similar to mine in that other mods were done first before the TIP. The effect of the TIP alone given the other mods is minimal. Perhaps those who don't have mods and put this on will feel more gain. Mods support mods and there's truth in that slapping on a 400hp turbo will not magically give a car with 400hp a new net result of 800hp.

I probably should have dynoed pre and post install to tell what is really going on.

I'm not surprised there wasn't much gain and I really hate it when guys get ripped off by after market manufacturers who produce rubbish and use marketing hype to sell it.

When it comes to inlets, it’s about flow and it might be true that these inlets might perform well with supporting mods. But the fact is that the aftermarket guys have claimed that the stock TIP suffers restrictive flow and their products offer superior flow. So far none of these claims has been supported by evidence (lets not forget that chassis dyno numbers are meaningless).

Engineering an intake requires the use of a flow bench and/or computational fluid dynamics. If the manufacturers of aftermarket MPS gear had actually engineered their inlets, they'd be trumpeting their flow bench numbers.

They’re not doing that, which can only mean one thing.

I’ve seen no evidence that any of the intakes currently available for the MPS have been near a flow bench.

The stock TIP may not look pretty, but I’ll bet that Mazda has the engineering capability and software to manage boundary layer flow in the intake. While I doubt the aftermarket guys would even know what boundary layer flow is let alone have the skills and software to master it.
    Last edited by kmh001; 02-06-2009 at 12:32 AM.

Gone to Volvo

Nice write up, thanks t4orce

8. Default

Just an update guys and gals, my ECU has fully adjusted now and after re-tightening all the clamps, I'm back to crazy spiking boost and constant 17psi boost again.

These are the things I have noticed with this mod:

Power delivery is smoother
    Intake noise increased
    General city driving has suffered, gear changes on light throttle seem jerky and occasionally the exhaust pops (feels like an MPS running on VTA)
    Boost levels the same
    Taper off at close to redline still present (short shifting at 5,700 rpm seems the quickest)

Conclusion - good mod to do if you don't have an intake as the Corksport unit provides the turbo inlet pipe.