User Tag List

Thread: COBB AP Tune with additional Mods

1. Default COBB AP Tune with additional Mods

Hi All,
    Im in the process of upgrading some further performance mods although ive come across a query in order to save some costs.
    I currently have CPE CAI, Turbosmart BOV which is tuned by HPF although, im wanting to add the Turbo Inlet Pipe and Downpipe very soon.
    In order to save on costs i was thinking of having a friend install the mods and purchase the COBB AP to have as my tune.

My concern is that even though my car has been tuned by HPF will the COBB AP tune suit to adjust to the additional mods or is it recommended to have HPF to continue tuning my car.

Appreciate any help and feedback

Cheers
    Dave

2. Default

My advice would be to cut your losses with HPF, buy the AP then have it etuned by someone like Rayd.

Definitely buy an app and get etuned

4. Default

Thanks for the info guys
    Who is Rayd? i have never heard of them unfortunately.
    Can you please shed some more light?

If HPF are local to you, it will be easier and cheaper to have them touch up the tune.
    The best long term solution would still be to get an accessport though, depends on what you want out of it?

Do like that warn fuzzy feeling of going to a garage for tuning? If so, try Tunehouse or MRT.

If you're a little more confident with installing mods yourself or with mates, plus download tunes to your car and capture logs, then etuning is for you.

Contact @richierichness from Richtune or @RacerMike from Stratified, both are vendors that support this forum and lots here can claim thier talented tuners.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

7. Default

@rayd is a forum member who had a business eturning.

Basically how it works, you pay $185 (I think) and then he contacts you and you send him datalogs that you capture using the access port, he'll make some adjustments then send you back a tune nad you go back and forth until you get the most out of what you've got.

However considering you have a tune already, may be cheaper to get them to top you off. BUT if you plan on doing any further upgrades go with an etuning solution, far cheaper.

Current mods:
    CorkSport SRI, TIP & Airbox
    Cobb Access Port

If your worried about the cobb causing issues with your hpf tune don't worry. The Cobb off the shelf tune wipes your current ecu ( which has been tuned by hpf) so as so as son of evil said, you'd lose your custom hpf tune. But there shouldn't be any issues as it completely wipes it and loads the cobb map. Is there any way to back it up maybe ??

If I was in your situation, id get the Cobb ap. You get an off the shelf tune, ability to get custom e tuned and data logging and monitoring. Really worth it IMO.

9. Default

Cheers guys.
    Generally id like to stick to the 1 brand of mods (thus HPF using CP-e) is it wrong to use another brand for the balance of the mods like COBB or Corksport or is it recommended to use the 1 brand across the board?

You do get people who stick to brands, but there is no need to really. Most go with what performs better. And their budget. When it comes to the Cobb Access Port, there only time brand comes into it when you need to choose which intake you have from the list of OTS maps Cobb provide.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I have a very similar issue as you at the moment and I'm going to give a different opinion just to shake things up.

Basic options are
    Get HP-F to do a retune
    They quoted me $330 for basically what you are after (althought I have different changes)

Purchase a COBB AP
    The AP will cost you roughly 500 to 700 including shipping depending on if you get it new, second hand or which version
    You'll then need to pay for a e-tune which is around $200

So my understanding, and everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, is that if you are done, if you have no extra mods to come then spend $330, get the retune and don't worry about the Cobb AP. If you had no tune and were starting from scratch then the COBB AP is a very good choice, opening you up for e-tuning from abroad and OTS maps etc. I'm going through all this at the moment and the main reasons for my thinking are thus

The Cobb solution will cost you around $400+ more and require you to do WOT which if you aren't careful may get you unwanted attention from the cops. The COBB isn't the only thing able to get data from the OBD2 port either. You can consider Torque and an OBD2 to Bluetooth Adapter if you have Android. Not as fancy as the COBB AP I'm sure but a lot cheaper.

I'm also a little unsure why everyone seems to have turned on HP-F here. I would honestly like to know. When I went the guys were friendly, answered all my questions, performed more work than they needed (adjusted my meth system for optimal performance and did a second tune which took advantage of the meth system to show me how much I could get if I tuned for it) and charged me less than I was quoted. This is the first last and only place I have ever taken any car to which actually charged less than the quoted amount. There may be some valid reasons which would be good to hear as I am considering sending my car back there to get my turbo manifold installed and the car retuned and if my car is going in to be destroyed I'd really like to find out before.

So far I can't find any horror stories like another places I can certainly think of though which makes makes this feel more like a lynching which is kind of dissapointing honestly. Although searching for info on HPF is damn near impossible due to the common use of HPFPs on this website so I may just not have found the horror stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Nepharius View Post
    I have a very similar issue as you at the moment and I'm going to give a different opinion just to shake things up.

Basic options are
    Get HP-F to do a retune
    They quoted me $330 for basically what you are after (althought I have different changes)

Purchase a COBB AP
    The AP will cost you roughly 500 to 700 including shipping depending on if you get it new, second hand or which version
    You'll then need to pay for a e-tune which is around $200

So my understanding, and everyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, is that if you are done, if you have no extra mods to come then spend $330, get the retune and don't worry about the Cobb AP. If you had no tune and were starting from scratch then the COBB AP is a very good choice, opening you up for e-tuning from abroad and OTS maps etc. I'm going through all this at the moment and the main reasons for my thinking are thus

The Cobb solution will cost you around $400+ more and require you to do WOT which if you aren't careful may get you unwanted attention from the cops. The COBB isn't the only thing able to get data from the OBD2 port either. You can consider Torque and an OBD2 to Bluetooth Adapter if you have Android. Not as fancy as the COBB AP I'm sure but a lot cheaper.

I'm also a little unsure why everyone seems to have turned on HP-F here. I would honestly like to know. When I went the guys were friendly, answered all my questions, performed more work than they needed (adjusted my meth system for optimal performance and did a second tune which took advantage of the meth system to show me how much I could get if I tuned for it) and charged me less than I was quoted. This is the first last and only place I have ever taken any car to which actually charged less than the quoted amount. There may be some valid reasons which would be good to hear as I am considering sending my car back there to get my turbo manifold installed and the car retuned and if my car is going in to be destroyed I'd really like to find out before.

So far I can't find any horror stories like another places I can certainly think of though which makes makes this feel more like a lynching which is kind of dissapointing honestly. Although searching for info on HPF is damn near impossible due to the common use of HPFPs on this website so I may just not have found the horror stories.
    I agree if you already are tuned by HPF and like them just stick with them but if you are starting out from scratch definitely go AP and Etune because HPF Retune or Ecutek retune etc $ add up.
    I have paid for 1 Ecutek tune and coming up to my 3rd Retune it would have been heaps cheaper to do AP from the start.
    But I like the blokes who I take it too and don't mind.
    //BNR3//HDI FMIC//HTP 3" intake//
    // Ecutek tune//CPE DP/ HPFP//
    // Tein performance street Coilovers //
    // Whiteline RSB// 240kwATW bum Dyno //

Long story short with hpf, ex member who trolled the forums as the AP was coming out, constantly saying HPF>AP... He still makes troll accounts from time to time... And he'll brag about different things and is slowly but surely proving everything he said false..

And sadly, because of his HPF bullshit it means they've become a bit of a joke

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

And for that reason I really feel sorry for HPF. I think they need to be made aware and tell Alex to shut his mouth, he is causing them more damage than they realise

And I find it amusing he thinks he has the fastest MPS they built but doesn't even have their top MPS kit installed.
    Roflcopter.

http://www.hp-f.com.au/catalog/mazda...zda-mps-type3/

Because stock exhaust.

Anyway if you just need a touch up tune take it to HPF , unless you have money to burn

Fastest MPS. Me thinks he forgot that Mazda made 6's as well

In the comments hpf say you don't need a fuel pump with their 190-200kw package.. Surely you'd want some safety

They are good with v8s but that's about it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk