User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speedo is about 10% over

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by gurusev View Post
    +1 to whatever he said..

Similar Calibration units are used by police for calibrating high performance vehicles however they do cost a fortune..

I wouldn't even worry about it. As I said earlier, it's the analog speedometer. If you check the data logs through Cobb, you will see the correct speed..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4
    To get somebody to do it and certified costs around the 600 mark.

The unit its self is about $200 of that.
    and you can make your own for about $40.

but I wouldn't bother lol

Quote Originally Posted by gurusev View Post
    +1 to whatever he said..

Similar Calibration units are used by police for calibrating high performance vehicles however they do cost a fortune..

I wouldn't even worry about it. As I said earlier, it's the analog speedometer. If you check the data logs through Cobb, you will see the correct speed..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4
    Yeah I know
    My Cobb is out now coz of my wheels

Snapped by Tangcla - FB Page
    Currently RaydTuned
    Lots of love from 2XS Racing & Dan's Garage Detailing

Quote Originally Posted by bodyboardingbum View Post
    This won't work. It's out by a percentage figure, not a standard variance throughout the whole speed range.
    I disagree the faster you go the more correct our speedo is after 100kph
    Many want Power not many hold it long.........

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    I disagree the faster you go the more correct our speedo is after 100kph
    ... Not sure if serious, but that's not how it works.
    If troll, well done - it worked :P
    BK MPS3 Sports - Work Meister S1R
    CP-e Catalogue. JDM Goodies.

Yeah @RedDjinn if you weren't trolling, just say you were because you're way off the money there :-P

I just know the percentage difference of my wheels compared to stock and just multiply vehicle speed column by it in excel to see actual speeds

Sent from my LG-P880 using Tapatalk 4

Quote Originally Posted by bodyboardingbum View Post
    ... Not sure if serious, but that's not how it works.
    If troll, well done - it worked :P
    I am dead serious! My gen 2 is more accurate than my the gen 1... get on the track get too 150 or 200 kph have a look at it i beat you its reading closer!

Have a look at it next to what?

I can see reason for it to get a tiny bit faster, and that's because the tyres have a bigger circumference at 150-200 but not increasing at a greater rate than the difference between speedo and actual speed...

Quote Originally Posted by GibbA View Post
    I can see reason for it to get a tiny bit faster, and that's because the tyres have a bigger circumference at 150-200 but not increasing at a greater rate than the difference between speedo and actual speed...

speedo vs GPS, I know i have been there i did it .. That's how i know its not a percentage thing, as i argued and thought long and hard as i wanted to correct it. One day i went out testing and found out!!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RedDjinn View Post
    speedo vs GPS, I know i have been there i did it .. That's how i know its not a percentage thing, as i argued and thought long and hard as i wanted to correct it. One day i went out testing and found out!!
    errr... hate to break it to you... It is a percentage thing!

our speedo's are controlledby variable reluctance magnetic sensor, which reads the speed of the passing teeth on a gear in the diff (works from electro-magnetic pulses). The sine-wave signal generated is converted to a certain amplitude of pulse depending on your speed. This is done via your computer, and this signal is sent to a stepper motor which moves the needle with digital accuracy.

when you have such multiplication processes, your accuracy will be based upon a percentage.

even old school eddy current needles have a percentage of error using your speedo/ ring gear system.
    anything that uses some form or ratio's or multiplication of another dependent value will have a percentage of error.

your theory is severeley flawed as Gibba pointed out.

at 200km/h you are travelling at 3333.3' m/min

if you are on stock size rim (225/40/18) your tyre has a circumference of 2.0018m.

meaning per revolution of your tyre your car has travelled 2m (unless wheel spin )
    anyway... your wheel is now doing 1666.6' rpm.

by the time you factor in your rotational mass variances at such high speeds aswell as the mass ammount of extra heat generated... your tyre has now expanded (and by a fair bit).

once your tyre expand... Its now travelling slower than it would be if it was cold (due to diameter increase).
    which your speedo which was reading 106km/h at an actual velocity of 11km/h is now reading slower than it was when cold... mking your speedo reading say... 101km/h at an actual velocity of 100km/h.

BOOM! SIENCE BITCH! rofl

For those of us who have been around here for a long time.

I think we have our new nexus in training.
    technical enough of an answer, but not quite long enough

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
    For those of us who have been around here for a long time.

I think we have our new nexus in training.
    technical enough of an answer, but not quite long enough
    Not sure If bad thing, good thing or I look like a tool bag...

I'm guessing all lol

Here's some interesting figures on things like the difference tyre pressure and temperature makes
    http://www.adrawa.com.au/Speedometer%20Accuracy.pdf

And also, the actual rules
    "18.5.1.1.2. indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 km/h, to an accuracy of ± 10 percent"
    Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 18/00 - Instrumentation) 2006

14. Default

Here's some interesting figures on things like the difference tyre pressure and temperature makes
    http://www.adrawa.com.au/Speedometer%20Accuracy.pdf

And also, the actual rules
    "18.5.1.1.2. indicate the actual vehicle speed, for all speeds above 40 km/h, to an accuracy of ± 10 percent"
    Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 18/00 - Instrumentation) 2006
    That's some good reading there

especially about the whole infringement stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AzzA SP20 View Post
    Not sure If bad thing, good thing or I look like a tool bag...

I'm guessing all lol

Yeah all of the above
    He was an interesting chap (especially in person) very, very switched on, but all his answers were in essay form and required a thesaurus to fully understand
    2013 Ford Focus ST - Performance Blue, Cobb AP

Gone 2006 3 MPS Sports - True Red, Koni FSD shocks, in dash OEM look Ebay GPS/DVD, Hypertech, RX8 Rims

16. Default

Yeah all of the above
    He was an interesting chap (especially in person) very, very switched on, but all his answers were in essay form and Required a thesaurus to fully understand
    well I am more trade background... so I try my best for an answer along with an explanation..
    (just an answer alone is worthless).

But I do also try keep it short...ishhh lol.

Unless the dial of the speedo is out! Haha

I notice that the increments increase as the speed get higher

Cobb said that then speedo can be calibrated, but the reading from the ECU cannot be. Damn.

our speedo's are controlledby variable reluctance magnetic sensor, which reads the speed of the passing teeth on a gear in the diff (works from electro-magnetic pulses). The sine-wave signal generated is converted to a certain amplitude of pulse depending on your speed. This is done via your computer, and this signal is sent to a stepper motor which moves the needle with digital accuracy.

when you have such multiplication processes, your accuracy will be based upon a percentage.

even old school eddy current needles have a percentage of error using your speedo/ ring gear system.
    anything that uses some form or ratio's or multiplication of another dependent value will have a percentage of error.

if you are on stock size rim (225/40/18) your tyre has a circumference of 2.0018m.

meaning per revolution of your tyre your car has travelled 2m (unless wheel spin )

by the time you factor in your rotational mass variances at such high speeds aswell as the mass ammount of extra heat generated... your tyre has now expanded (and by a fair bit).

once your tyre expand... Its now travelling slower than it would be if it was cold (due to diameter increase).
    which your speedo which was reading 106km/h at an actual velocity of 11km/h is now reading slower than it was when cold... mking your speedo reading say... 101km/h at an actual velocity of 100km/h.

BOOM! SIENCE BITCH! rofl
    only if the numbers on the dash are in the correct place.. Have a look at the numbers see if there all spaced out correctly/ all the same (look 0-10kph, off memory a gen1 is different 0-10kph you have a gen1?).. Maths/Your correct in theory if everything is worked out correctly and is measured equally

- - - Updated - - -

BOOM! SIENCE BITCH! rofl
    only if the numbers on the dash are in the correct place.. Have a look at the numbers see if there all spaced out correctly/ all the same (look 0-10kph, off memory a gen1 is different 0-10kph you have a gen1?).. Maths/Your correct in theory if everything is worked out correctly and is measured equally

- - - Updated - - -

BOOM! SIENCE BITCH! rofl

@AzzA SP20, my turn to say I hate to break it to you, but it's not science, it's maths :-P

This is my speedo, and on this all your maths holds true because it's all evenly spaced (neglecting 0-10km/h)
    HOWEVER if as @RedDjinn said, the scale on which the speed is read from isn't equally spaced in the gen2 his point certainly could be very valid!

If the spacing between the values decreases proportionally to the error in calculation of the vehicle speed, than it would compensate for the growing error and in turn mean speed on the speedo is a close approximation to your actual speed.

This would then mean a device which corrects the error (by multiplication of a PERCENTAGE to the signal the motor on the speedo receives) would not work, because the scale is not constant.

It would need to use a function of a higher degree to multiply the signal to show the true speed on the speedo. (Ie the multiplication factor changes with calculated speed) This would be easy enough to figure out, just don't know how to program it into a device to do that. :-)

Maths bitch :-P

--> 2008 Metro Grey Sports Pack Gen1 <--

CS SRI ll CS TIP ll CS AB ll 2XS SSP ll 2XS FMIC ll SURE Anchors ll Enkei RPF1's 17x9 +45 ll Lamin-X Fog Tint ll DBA T3 4000 series ll Remsa pads ll Braided lines
    CP-E S2 RMM ll Hankook RS3 235/40/17 ll Forge V1 BPV ll Whiteline RSB ll AutoTech HPFP
    ll Spin-on Conversion ll Rear Diffuser
    DGR Coilovers ll LED Replacement lights ll "08-MPS" plates ll Cobb AP V3 (E85) ll CP-e TBE ll OCC

20. Default

1 maths is a science...

2 they are evenly spaced
    Last edited by AzzA SP20; 24-10-2013 at 06:19 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast