User Tag List

Thread: Blowing Smoke

Default Blowing Smoke

Hi everyone,
    I am hoping that someone may be able to help me.
    I have a 2012 2nd Gen Maz 3 (28' ks on the clock) which is blowing black smoke under "heavy" acceleration.
    As I am normally in the drivers seat I am not entirely sure how often it is occurring but suspect regularly.
    I have become more aware of the problem of late as my hubby mentioned it when he followed me home one afternoon.
    The problem was mentioned with the dealer when it was in for it's 20k service however I was told that there was nothing to be concerned about as it was simply unburnt fuel from the turbo and generally occurs after sitting idle for several minutes.
    However after seeing the footage from my hubby's in car camera I am concerned that I have a problem on my hands.
    Certainly the times that I have seen the smoke in my rear view mirror was after take off at the lights but on this latest occasion I was travelling at 110kms + & a large plume of smoke appeared when I changed up to 6th - I had not been idle for some 15 minutes prior to that (travelling on Pt Wakefield Rd & NEXY).
    I have had a quick look on the forum and there seems to be lots of comments going back to 2008 but nothing recent so not sure if comments are still relevant.
    Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I suspect the dealer is not going to be great help.
    Cheers
    Mel

2. Default

That black smoke is only due to the afrs being too rich which is completely normal on an ots tune

that's my 2c

OTS? Did I read an Cobb Access Port in there any where.

I used to get a lot black smoke when my car was stock, but usually when I'm giving it some, pretty sure @TD was lost in my cloud some years ago

If you have modified the exhaust, especially if you've swapped it out for an after market Down Pipe then in my experience it will get a little worse.

So you're fine. These cars run rich to protect the motor to help the cylinders run cool.

If it's white, then that's an altogether different issue... A bad one...

Good Luck.
    Brad
    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Yeldarb; 21-10-2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Redbull is DEAD!!

Long live the Redbull ... V2

Not to worry dearie......it is indeed unburnt fuel. The stock tune that Mazda ECU's run are pig rich, in my case it was as low as 10:1 and even lower. Even now after I have tuned it you can still see some in the rear view mirror at night, so it is completely normal.

What will make it ten times worse is if you "baby" it for quite some time and then you give it a boot full, it will literally punch out a black cloud......good for quick getaways...
    Cheers

Grumpy

Tuned with
    By Alex...........

Excuse my ignorance but what is an OTS tune?

Mmmm you sound like my hubby - he reckons that I should be driving it a bit harder too! I had an opportunity to drive a few laps around Mallala with some Meganes a few months back and they were making fun of my 'smoking billy' - of course they were behind me at the time

Quote Originally Posted by meljay View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but what is an OTS tune?
    If you decide to go the the aftermarket tuning world, a company in the states produces a terrific hand held tuning ECU tuning device. They offer OTS or Off The Shelf engine tunes, essentially plug and play.

In your case, this acronym isn't relevant as your car is stock.

As per Mr @Grumpy himself has said, babying it seems to line the exhaust with unburned fuel goodness. So when you boot it, especially with a DP, Backfire! It's fun, but again, nothing you should worry about. Just drive it.

Redbull is DEAD!!

8. Default

Sorry i meant otff - off the factory floor tune ?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
    Sorry i meant otff - off the factory floor tune ?
    Yeah, was wondering where you picked that up from. But on a positive note, I learned a new acronym

Redbull is DEAD!!