User Tag List

Thread: choking and spluttering

Default choking and spluttering

Hey hows it going?

after work today, i turned my car on, and instead of idling normally high then after 30 seconds dropping to about 600 or so, the revs dropped very low very quickly.

I drove up the road and the car would not hold the revs, as soon as i came off the accelerator the revs would drop and it felt like the car was going to stall even though i was moving at maybe 20km/h.

Pulled over and the car was making strange idling sounds, im not sure how to explain it but think of a police siren, high low high low high low, fairly quickly. the revs werent moving, just the noise coming from the engine was fluctuating from high to low. Black smoke was coming out the exhaust too.

Turned the car off, turned it back on after about 1 minute and it was idling fine but the CEL came on. Drove maybe 15 metres up the road and throttle was fine, it wasnt losing revs, but the CEL was on. ended up driving all the way home ( about 10km ) with no issues. I heard some strange noises maybe 2 or 3 times, which sounded like crickets in the backyard - the insect. Very faintly, wasnt sure what that was.

When i got home, i turned the car off, then back on after a minute. the CEL was gone, and it was idling fine.

is going on? any ideas? i have a service tomorrow.

ps i have a bov, xede, cai and tbe.

Wet/dirty air filter causing the MAF sensor to throw an error code?

Dunno...be interesting to hear what they say when they service it.

Do you have a Dashhawk or ScanGauge? You would be able to read the CEL code to see what it is, the dealer will be able to tell you tomorrow anyway.

Modern technology is coming to get you.

Mazda don't want you to mod there cars.

Give up now, while you still have a chance.

Just joking. Good luck with the diagnosis.

You probably released the key too quickly on startup and your Xede hasnt had time to adjust the signals correctly, I know of another Xede user who has reported the exact same issue, the problem went away after keying off and restarting.

Had my service today. When hanging the spark plugs they found that the cylinder 2 coil pack is shorting out on the engine block and there was some oil in the cylinder 2. No idea how there might be oil in the coil pack cylinder. But its not the first time ive had a coil pack go.First one happened when getting the Xede tuned