User Tag List

Thread: mazdaspeed 6. diff oil issue

Default mazdaspeed 6. diff oil issue

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has had any issues with their diff oil coming out silver during a change.

Your diff is converting oil to silver !?
    Never sell that alchemist's dream!

Seriously though; are you talking about the transfer case up front? Or the rear diff?
    Transfer case weeps oil very commonly.
    Rear usually is fine...

Silver indicates metal shavings.. I believe the transfer case and/or diff case drain plugs are magnetic and will pick up silver shavings, depends how many you are seeing though.
    Being magnetic you are bound to pick up some shavings from general wear and tear...

Rear diff unfortunately. My mechanic serviced it yesterday and showed me a pic of it and virtually the whole lot was silver

Hmm, change the oil check out if theres anything strange that comes out of it. is it making any strange noises or clunks when cornering?

Not at the moment its not

Fine particles of metal will make your oil silvery. Some may come from the limited slip diff clutch. Wear on other parts will be a more significant contributor. To get really silvery there is likely a fair bit of metal coming from somewhere, subject to kms on the last oil change. Obviously you've already changed your oil or you wouldn't have seen the silvery oil. What was on the magnetic drain plug? Are/were any other fragments observed. Anyone stuck a finger inside the bung hole and felt around for bits of metal?

If it's not making any noise and performing OK, change the oil and keep a regular eye (and ear) on it.
    CP_e Standback & PNP; CP_e 3" SS Downpipe; Corksport FMIC with Top-mount K&N filter & OEM Ram CAI; Turbosmart BOV; Dashhawk; Prosport Boost Guage; JBR solid shift bushes; DBA 4000 Wiper-Slot front rotors; Hawk Ferro-Carbon HPS Street front brake pads (@ 69,000km); Sumitomo HTRZIII's in 225/45 x 18

8. Default

When i changed my rear diff oil there were lots of metal particles/shavings although i wouldnt say the oil was silver.
    I dont have any issues and its not noisy so i suspect its just normal wear and tear.

its what lsd diffs and transfer do. which is why they have to be serviced more regularly.