User Tag List

Thread: NFL player Alfred Morris receives his thoroughly restored 1991 Mazda 626

Default NFL player Alfred Morris receives his thoroughly restored 1991 Mazda 626

Filed under: Classics, Sedan, Etc., Mazda, Celebrities

Washington Redskins starting running back Alfred Morris might not drive a flashy sports car or SUV, but after today, he'll be driving the nicest 1991 Mazda 626 on the planet.

Back in July, Morris temporarily traded in his 626 - cheekily named Bentley - for a 2014 Mazda6 loaner courtesy of Mazda, and today the sedan was presented back to him after the ultimate PR stunt: a reported 275-man-hour restoration that left this 22-year-old daily driver looking like it just rolled off the assembly line.

Not everything was brought back to original condition, though. The expired sticker from Morris' final year at Florida Atlantic University was left on the windshield, but to fit the car's nickname, a few high-end touches were added to the interior. This includes the quilted, cross-stitched leather seats (just like a real Bentley) and the touchscreen Pioneer audio system. There's also a plaque under the hood marking this car as the "Alfred Morris Project."

According to Jalopnik, Morris bought the car back in his college days from his pastor for just $2. We're not sure how much money Mazda and Mazda's D.C.-area dealerships put into this restoration, but it was definitely no cheap undertaking. Scroll through the gallery to see before, during and after shots of Morris' very special 626.NFL player Alfred Morris receives his thoroughly restored 1991 Mazda 626 originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 15 Oct 2013 17:00:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.
    Permalink | Email this | Comments

More...

Why?

These guys look pleased to be working on the car and pouring money into it

Last edited by GibbA; 16-10-2013 at 10:06 AM.

I actually think that's quite cool, who else would love their first shitbox restored to like new? My '89 Civic would love it.

5. Default

Wish I could've done it to my '79 Datsun Skyline... Wind the clock back to 0kms, rebuild a 2.4L Straight 6 engine with one very flogged and tired horse worth of power, weak as auto trans... new chrome bumper, new badges, rust patched... would've been awesome, but a massive money pit.

Guess what, that 626 is still probably only worth... $2

I'm part of a classic car club, and just about all the members (including other clubs) if you ask them why they have the car that they do, the answer is usually "I had one as my first car"

Doesn't matter what the car is, I think most people have an attachment to their first car

My very first car was a 1991 Mazda 626 although mine was a hatchback not the sedan. I loved that car!