User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mazda 6 camber kit and bushings from Fulcrum Suspensions

I have a knocking noise in the front also and it's getting worse. Trouble is there are a multitude of possible causes. I've read heaps of threads on knocking noises in the front of MPS6's and they're all caused by different things.

In my experience the weakest links in a suspension system are the sway bar end links and D bushes because they're exposed to very high stresses and usually fail first. That's where I would begin my investigation.

kmh, good to know you are in the same boat as me..

I went to pedders for suspension checking 6 months ago and they didn't really find out what the problem is, endlink seems not to bad. Where are the D bushes? I am intersted to know if your knocking is the same as mine. Mine came from the front driver side. How about yours? Does your car feel loose when it travelling on bumpy road? Did you lower your car and change shocks?
    GROM iPod & Bluetooth car kit, ETS TMIC, HKS BOV, AEM CAI, Denso ITV-22's, CPE down pipe, Custom Exhaust tip, Hypertech tuned, Bilstein shocks with King Spring, CPE engine mount, CPE rear diff mount, Whiteline rear sway bar, EBC redstuff brake pad, DBA 4000 front slotted rotors, Prosport Boost gauge, JBarone Short Shift Plate

3. Default

I am wondering whether any of you have had experience with the

Ingalls Camber kits for the Mazda 6 - is this a suitable component comparable to the SPC kit, or are the Fulcrums a better quality?

I read a discussion elsewhere about the likelihood of the SPC kits being re-badged Ingalls, but I don't think it was ever resolved whether they were or not.

The main issue is not so much quality but that there are two different approaches - one uses an adjustable ball joint the other an adjustable bush.

Ball joints are highly stressed components and making them adjustable weakens them. It may be unfair to say the SPC failures that have occurred are due to poor quality because it's more likely that an adjustable ball joint is inherently prone to accelerated wear.

The adjustable ball joints have the advantage of being easier to install and easier (cheaper) to adjust at wheel alignment time, whereas the advantage of adjustable bushes is that they are much more robust.

The bushes will cost more overall but they should be as strong or stronger than the originals so you're getting peace of mind for the extra money.

The other advantage with bushes is that you can order them from supercheap and if you buy both kits from Fulcrum you'll also get adjustable caster.

Gone to Volvo

5. Default

Thanks kmh001 - Guess the fulcrum bits will do to part way getting the alignment/caster accurate.

Guess the other option is to replace the lower arm brace bushing, and do a suspension re-torque so the alignment sticks!

Any ideas on whether these are easy DIY propositions (caster kit install and replacing lower arm brace bushing), or is it something I'll need to leave up to the experts?

You would need a hydraulic press to do the bushes yourself. And let me tell you that doing wheel alignments yourself is bitch without a pit to work in. Probably best to fork out the piasters to let the experts do it.

7. Default

Thanks kmh001 - there are some DIY on how to remove bushes using a hammer, and install via a vice, so I think I can do the install via removing the upper and lower control arms and replace the bushes.

The alignment, I agree, should be left to the professionals!

One thing I picked up in my research is that (according to the training manuals) the lower control arm bushes are oil filled "to reduce vibrations such as shimmy, judder and road noise".

I am assuming that SPF2958K - adjustable caster arm bushes replaces this bushes. Can someone who has actually installed both these kits confirm?

I had the front control arm bushes removed in my 3 and they were oil filled. I believe that alot of the bushes Mazda have used are oil filled. I know, not a 6, but still Mazda.

9. Default

For those who are too lazy to call for pricing, here's one as at 12/10/09.

Part #DescriptionSupercheap (12/10/09)Bursons (12/10/09)Autobarn (12/10/09)
    SPF2953KControl Arm Upper-Inner Eccentric Kit$271.00$250.00$260.00
    SPF2958KStrut Bar To Subframe$137.00$125.00$130.00
    MiscFreight$9.00$0.00$15.00

Prices are from Melbourne, ViC stores and are in $AUD

Cheers,
    C.

10. Default

i got to thinking this afternoon about these parts.

I assume that these parts are needed when you lower your car, or, for the camber kit, allow adjustability in a stock setup.

I was wondering however what the merit of the castor kit, in this instance, where you install the camber kit.

I see more value in the camber kit, as you can adjust how the tire contacts the road, but i can't seem to figure out, how caster plays a role in all this, particularly where you adjust camber and toe/alignment.

Does that mean then, that if you adjust camber and alignment/toe, that caster is pulled out of whack somehow??

Or does the caster kit allow you to make sure the shock stroke is straight, particularly in the instance where you run aggressive camber?

I'm not technical, so if someone could explain to me how this all works, it would be greatly appreciated.

There are probably two reasons why you might want to be able to adjust caster.

1. Quite a few Mazda 6's have had problems with uneven caster on each side, resulting in the car pulling to one side. Mazda have a TSB on this and if it drifts out of its lane within 6 seconds when you let go of the steering wheel, you can get a replacement control arm. Or a better solution is to have adjustable caster to get the geometry right.

2. The MPS runs a small amount of caster, typically around 3 to 4 degrees which is less than half as much as some other cars such as a Commodore. A small caster angle is good for changing direction quickly, but the down side is that it wants to change direction by itself. In my car for example, I'm constantly fighting the steering wheel just to keep it in a straight line. I'd like to increase the caster angle to make the car more stable and nicer to drive.

Most of us need to correct our camber to eliminate the tyre wear problem at the front. Caster correction is nice to have, but not as necessary as camber correction.

Gone to Volvo

12. Default

Thanks kmh001, so essentially, pulling to one side means that possibly the lower control arm oil filled bushe has also deteriorated? (Thus the TSB and replacing the whole lower control arm).

I'll speak to my service manager about the TSB, but it makes more sense to get the the caster kit as well, knock out the old bushe, and put in something that will give me more benefit than an OE part. (that's how i'm going to justify spending $125 anyway).

BTW, is there a place where all the Mazda 6 MPS TSB's are stored on the net?

Sorry I didn't see this before...

The TSB relates to upper control arm replacement. They used replacement arms that tilted the top of the upright back to give more caster. Theoretically the TSB doesn't apply to the MPS because it was issued in early 2005. I only mentioned it because I thinks it's relevant that Mazda 6's have historically had issues with caster.

If I keep my car I'll be changing all the front bushes and getting some adjustability, but if you do it first I'd like to hear how it turns out.

Gone to Volvo

14. Default

thanks mate, 2005 is my year make, so this makes more sense to swap em out more so now. I wonder what a full bushes set would set me back (in terms of costs)

Bugger that I am out of warranty though, i'll take it to my local suspension place to see what they think.

15. Default

I have the following parts i am now interested in.

Super Pro Control Arm Lower - Inner Bushing SPF2954K SPF2954K
    Super Pro Control Arm Lower - Outer Bushing SPF2955K SPF2955K
    Super Pro adjustable caster arm bushes SPF2958K SPF2958K

Does anyone know whether the outer control arm bush can be replaced by the caster arm bush kit - or does this one fit on another control arm i am not aware of.

Cheers.

I'm going to try to pick up a full set off all these adjustable and poly bushing for my MS6. I think that they'll compliment my MS6 on the track, as well as my SPC's I'm going to install.

Getting them state-side should be fun.

G'day Matt, I recognize your sig from mazda6club. Yeah, good luck getting those bushes over there. Let us know how it goes.

BTW I even used US spelling for you.

18. Default

Your local tien distributor in the US should be able to assist in getting these for you. That's what the Fulcrum site indicated anyway.

SuperPro Distributors - Fulcrum Suspensions

I just found a listing off the tein site of all the bushings.

The are very pricey. I got my Koni shocks and RPM springs for $100 less than what a full set of those adjustable bushings cost.

I'll still keep them in-mind once my stockers go, or when I win the lottery.

Hi guys and sorry for feeling the need to resurrect this thread, BUT, I do have good reasons

I have read this thread 2 or 3 times over and am still at a loss as to what parts to order for my MPS6 to achieve 100% adjustabilty/handling for the front suspension. Maybe this is because I am still not familiar with the SuperPro range (or the MPS for that matter), if it were Impreza bits we were talking I would know exactly what to get for what what I wanted to achieve.

Can someone please list ALL the parts (SP numbers as well please) needed to obtain TOTAL camber and caster adjustability, where these parts actually fit would also be beneficial.

The main reason for me asking that someone do this for me is, before I go ordering and spending a shed load of cash on parts and shipping (to the UK) I want to make sure I have everything I need and that it is totally correct.

Thanks in advance guys
    I think it would also help tidy up this thread for any future reference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast